Santiago to Puerto Williams flights

flygrl3xo

Can anytime tell me how far in advance did SS book internal flights from Santiago to Puerto Williams before/ after cruise? I'm being told we'll find out that info when we get to the W hotel & that certainly doesn't sit right with me (02FEB cruise) so still have plenty of time but really now, that's a bit of a lackadaisical answer! Thanks~ 

This is the real answer. These are Silversea charter flights, not regular airline flights. They need several planes to fit in everyone on the cruise. They assign you the specific plane/time/seat when you get to the hotel. The planes are all one class. Silversea takes everyone on buses in groups by plane from the hotel to the charter terminal. It's all organized very well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The airport in Puerto Williams has ONE scheduled flight per day, and that is to Punta Arenas, 187 miles away.  Three days a week it is with a BA146 aircraft and three days with a Twin Otter.  And no flight on Sunday.

There is no way that scheduled lift could handle a shipload of guests.  The 146 holds about 80 passengers, the Twotter holds 19.

And the runway at WPU is less than 5000 feet long, requiring aircraft with some degree of STOL capability.

5 hours ago, flygrl3xo said:

I am told they charter their own flights (3 of 80 people each). Stop in Punta Arenas to fuel. 

A fully loaded aircraft would likely have a lower fuel allocation, thus requiring a technical stop along the way.  Especially for departures from WPU and its short runway - tank up in Punta Arenas.

• Like 1

I’m not sure where your concern is.  These are charter flights from an FBO, and not the main airport terminal.  This past Jan, there were 4 flights to Puerto Williams.  The plans

es were a 3 - 3 configuration, with all middle seats left empty.  The lone run way in Puerto Williams, is the limiting factor on what plans can take off, so only smaller planes can be used.

On our flight down, I believe 2 of the 4 planes needed to stop in Punta Arenas for fuel, do to a head wind, while the other two didn’t.  All flights home require a minimum fuel load to take off, so a stop is required fuel and provisions.