When should I start buying trip cancellation insurance?

newbie202020

Hi, new to cruising and trying to understand when I should buy trip cancellation/interruption insurance for my July 2024 trip if the deposit is refundable. Does it make sense to buy it only when I make final payment? Looking for insurance to cancel for any reason in particular as parents are elderly.

Also, I've read that it's always cheaper to buy such insurance from external party instead of through the cruise line. Any advice on this would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi!

I assume you are in America.

No need to purchase trip insurance until after final payment.  

Trip insurance through your travel agency or cruise line is not often the best with respect to coverage and cost.

Always compare policies.  Best site for that is INSUREMYTRIP.  It will ask you a few quest ions such as your age, destination and duration of trip.  Based on your answers it will then offer you a variety of policies from different companies.  Carefully look at each one and decide on the best one that meets your needs.  You have plenty of time to look.  Good luck.

Deck Chair.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2023 at 11:50 AM, lubedobedo said:

You might want to look up "Tripinsurancestore." I thought you need to buy insurance within 14-21 days of first deposit in order to get Cancel for any reason insurance? Maybe it's different in Canada?

That's what I was told.  I used to wait until final payment time since the deposit was refundable, but now I buy the insurance as soon as I book the trip.

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2023 at 11:50 AM, lubedobedo said:

You might want to look up "Tripinsurancestore." I thought you need to buy insurance within 14-21 days of first deposit in order to get Cancel for any reason insurance? Maybe it's different in Canada?

It can be *VERY* different in Canada than in the USA - or other countries.

Indeed, there can be differences in the policies offered to residents in some US states vs. others.

ALWAYS make sure that you read and understand the terms/conditions of the specific policy YOU will be purchasing, not what someone else's policy said (or worse, "what someone else SAID their policy included...")

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 7:55 PM, deck chair said:

Hi!

I assume you are in America.

No need to purchase trip insurance until after final payment.  

Trip insurance through your travel agency or cruise line is not often the best with respect to coverage and cost.

Always compare policies.  Best site for that is INSUREMYTRIP.  It will ask you a few quest ions such as your age, destination and duration of trip.  Based on your answers it will then offer you a variety of policies from different companies.  Carefully look at each one and decide on the best one that meets your needs.  You have plenty of time to look.  Good luck.

Deck Chair.

what if you need a waiver of the prexisting condition clause? In order to get that waiver you have to purchase insurance withint a certain period of time after booking, called the time sensitive period, usually about 16-20 days.  If you didnt buy insurance until final payment and werent concerned about pre-existing conditions for anyone (you, traveling partners, family at home) I think that would work but I dont really know as I'm no expert.   I've been concentrating on anything to do with pre-exisiting conditions