Just booked Tromso - Kirkenes R/T for late November - need tips please

MattInFLL

Hello - 

The Northern Lights are a bucket list, and Tromso seems to be a good place to start.  I decided to do the ferry to Kirkenes and back (about 4 days) rather than book a "northern lights chase tour" every night from Tromso.  I will be on the Kong Harald during Thanksgiving week.

Any experiences/info are welcome. 

Does Hurtigruten provide cold weather gear (the land tours do) or do I need to pack 100 layers and snow pants? 

I have heard the crew will do announcements at night when they are visible - does this really work?

I truly dislike fish.  Will there be a chicken or beef option on the menus (or some protein that does not swim)?

What are the bars like?  Should I bring a bottle on board for an after dinner or night cap?  Is that allowed?

I've done 54 mainstream cruises - how far afield will I feel on this passenger/ferry?

Thank you!

Bring warm clothes and don't forget a scarf, hat, gloves. It will certainly be chilly if you 'll be looking at (possible ) polar lights on the outside. There might be blue skies during the short days, but of course rain, sleet and snows are possible. And yes, you will be notified when there are any polar lights to be seen. But November can be a tricky month - sightings always are the luck-of-the-draw. But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

If you booked meals, there will be a buffet for breakfast and lunch. Evening meals are served at table, but there a always several ( at least 3) choices - fish, meat, vegetarian.

Sorry, don't know much about the bars, they are comfortable to sit in ( it's more of a lounge), but anything containing alcohol is very expensive in Norway. It's forbidden to bring alcohol like your own bottle on board. I don't know about smuggling one and wouldn't want to try.

There's no comparison between using a Hurtigruten ship and regular cruises. Enjoying nature and meeting all kinds of different people on your voyage is what the passengers do.

Have a great time!

Thanks so much for your feedback and the crossed fingers.  I have a ton of cold weather gear from ski trips in the Rockies to 12,000 feet. I am hoping that at least some of that will be able to re-purposed.  I am hoping the anticipated heightened solar flare activity for this year and next will work in my favor.

I did not take the meal package because I just don't eat very much. I almost always skip breakfast, and if I am out on deck in the middle of the night hoping for the aurora, I would more likely sleep in.  But glad to hear it won't be all fish 🙂

I am guessing there is no late night snack or room service option, other than if you buy packaged snacks at the ship store or bring some on.

No late night snacks or room service except perhaps in suites.

But you always skip out and buy some extra food to bring on board to enjoy at one of the longer stops.

But even if you don't usually eat much - I'd go at least for one or two meals ( you needn't buy a package) but can book one for the fay. The buffets are fantastic!

• 2 months later...

I am curious how your trip was around the top of Norway to Kirkenes. Did you find the food ok? Or better than ok? We liked this cruise better than any other cruise we have been on (not that many, maybe 7-8). The food was good, plenty of healthy choices for us, we did not need room service, or extra food, and we did not miss anything about a traditional cruise. I lost 3 pounds and never felt hungry.  However,  I would have killed for a pizza. 😁

The MS Trollfjord was almost completely full and it did not feel crowded except when we wanted the best seats in the observation lounge, but good ones were usually available. 

How did your trip work out? I would have loved to be able to stay on til the very last port and experience Kirkenes.