Carnival Sunshine with a wheelchair

momin05

My dad doesn’t usually use a wheelchair, but I know he can’t do all the walking necessary to board Sunshine. If anyone has sailed Sunshine with a wheelchair, I am wondering:

1. Should I bring my own (I have one) or reserve one through the check-in process? I am worried about him getting from the car to and through the check-in warehouse, so if I reserve one, where will it start?

2. If I take my own, how would I handle the bus shuttle situation getting from the check-in warehouse to the security terminal?  Would they put it in the luggage area of the bus?

Thanks in advance. 

Call the special needs dept. You can always bring your own wheel chair. If you only need it to help during boarding process there are some that belong to carnival that you can use. If you bring your own, they will usually use a accessible bus so there will be a lift on the bus so your father would stay in the wheelchair the entire process. Carnival is great with helping. My Dad was in a wheel chair, enjoy your cruise with your Dad.

My mom and I have cruised Sunshine a number of times.  She doesn't use a wheelchair except when embarking and disembarking. If you are checking your luggage, you will drop it off with them before you park.  Make sure you have your boarding passes and passports accessible and not in your suitcases. If it's just you and your dad cruising, you can park then wait for the parking shuttle to pick you up and drop you off at Bldg 324.  There is a wheelchair sign up before you enter the building.  Sign up and a pusher will show up with a wheelchair.  There should be benches for your dad to sit on while he waits there.  The pusher will push your dad, with you following through the check in process.  Then your dad will be pushed to the big shuttle that takes you to the terminal.  The big shuttle drops you off at the terminal then you will wait for another pusher with a wheelchair.  The pusher will push your dad through security with you following, then through the Zero entrance onto the ship.  From there you are on your own.  Mom always tips each pusher $5.  The pushers are very nice and chatty.  Have a great cruise with your dad!!

10 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

My mom and I have cruised Sunshine a number of times.  She doesn't use a wheelchair except when embarking and disembarking. If you are checking your luggage, you will drop it off with them before you park.  Make sure you have your boarding passes and passports accessible and not in your suitcases. If it's just you and your dad cruising, you can park then wait for the parking shuttle to pick you up and drop you off at Bldg 324.  There is a wheelchair sign up before you enter the building.  Sign up and a pusher will show up with a wheelchair.  There should be benches for your dad to sit on while he waits there.  The pusher will push your dad, with you following through the check in process.  Then your dad will be pushed to the big shuttle that takes you to the terminal.  The big shuttle drops you off at the terminal then you will wait for another pusher with a wheelchair.  The pusher will push your dad through security with you following, then through the Zero entrance onto the ship.  From there you are on your own.  Mom always tips each pusher $5.  The pushers are very nice and chatty.  Have a great cruise with your dad!!

Thank you so much!  This is so descriptive and I understand exactly what you are saying. We have cruised out of Charleston many times, so familiar with the process, but not with the wheelchair process. I think I read your review of a cruise with your mom where you talked about this but I didn’t see it when I searched. I know there is no way he can walk up that ramp to the atrium entry. But it sounds like maybe they would take him onto the ship a different way?  Either way, it doesn’t matter…it sounds like they will take care of us. 

I did check the wheelchair assistance during check-in and all it said was to email them. I did and received two (same) canned emails that were not helpful. That’s why I came here! Mucho helpful!

Thanks again. 

12 hours ago, foreverafter5804 said:

Call the special needs dept. You can always bring your own wheel chair. If you only need it to help during boarding process there are some that belong to carnival that you can use. If you bring your own, they will usually use an accessible bus so there will be a lift on the bus so your father would stay in the wheelchair the entire process. Carnival is great with helping. My Dad was in a wheel chair, enjoy your cruise with your Dad.

Thank you. I am glad to hear they were helpful. We are in a group of 6 and decided to try their wheelchair assistance rather than take one, since he doesn’t need it on the ship. 

10 hours ago, momin05 said:

Thank you so much!  This is so descriptive and I understand exactly what you are saying. We have cruised out of Charleston many times, so familiar with the process, but not with the wheelchair process. I think I read your review of a cruise with your mom where you talked about this but I didn’t see it when I searched. I know there is no way he can walk up that ramp to the atrium entry. But it sounds like maybe they would take him onto the ship a different way?  Either way, it doesn’t matter…it sounds like they will take care of us. 

I did check the wheelchair assistance during check-in and all it said was to email them. I did and received two (same) canned emails that were not helpful. That’s why I came here! Mucho helpful!

Thanks again. 

Here you go!

12 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Here you go!

Thanks for posting the link!  Yes, I remember reading that review and thinking how amazing your mom looks!  

We will really miss Sunshine in Charleston, too. I still can’t believe she is leaving. We have one cruise next week and another next October. I wish we could fit in one more, but probably can’t. It’s too bad. 

• Thanks 1