Requesting Egg Crate Mattress Pads

We were on board very early for our cruise, got to our cabin by 1:15pm (we were told we could go after 1pm), and saw our cabin attendant right away. I requested the egg crate mattress for my daughters who were using the sofa bed. Our attendant checked for us, and said they were all taken. Since we were there so early, I can only assume that other people requested them ahead of time. I have a hard time believing so many people got there that early and requested them before us. I also truly believe our attendant that she did check, and wasn't just telling us this to cause herself less work (she was absolutely wonderful about everything else we requested!!!).

Bottom line...there are no guarantees you will get one once onboard. I would try to request one ahead of time.

My TA called RCCL and requested one for me just the other day. We were told it should be in the cabin when we board. Sure hope so! We've never cruised RCCL before and reading here makes it sound like the mattresses are like rocks. :p Last year on the NCL Sea the beds were pretty rough too, although nothing like the bed I had on Victoria in China! That was nothing more than a wooden platform with mattress ticking on it. OUCH!

Which Victoria? We were on the Empress in October and the beds were fine.

As for the egg-crate, I think I'll be emailing that request! Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it was the Victoria IV, and I believe it's now been retired. It was one of the smaller ships as it was a Yangtze River cruise. This was in 2002 and I've slept since then. :D

BTW, at least one of the hotels I stayed in in Beijing (The Grand Wanfujing maybe?) had the same wooden platform beds. After our 16 hour transpacific flight, my exhausted roommate threw herself down on her bed and almost broke a hip. :D We ended up sleeping on top of the down comforters for two nights, and every time we checked into a new hotel, we'd carefully check the mattress (or lack thereof!) before jumping onto it. :D

Thanks for the email link. Do you think the request has to come from my travel agent or do you think an email from me is acceptable. Also, I know you can request them for a queen... are they available for twin beds as well?

I always bring my own. I'm pretty picky about not being able to sleep on a rock so I buy an eggcrate mattress at Walmart, only about 20 bucks, suck it up in a Spacebag and put it in the suitcase that has all our shoes, booze & extras. The cabin attendants have even put it on our bed for us! We just leave it there when we are done & then hopefully someone else gets to use it on the next cruise.

It helps cusion the suitcase contents and then on the way home (when it & the booze are gone) we have room for our souveinrs. :).

Thanks for the email link. Do you think the request has to come from my travel agent or do you think an email from me is acceptable. Also, I know you can request them for a queen... are they available for twin beds as well?

I read somewhere (probably here, this group is great for info!) that they are all twin size. When they use them on the twins put together for a queen, they lay the egg crate pad horizontally across the two beds. Of course, that begs the question, will my butt be falling down a horizontal crack instead of a vertical one? :eek::D

Thank you so much for the request link for the mattress pads. We are

on Vision of the Seas in thirteen more days. Counting down! We shall

see if they do indeed honor requests.

I'm curious, did anyone else (who emailed the special needs department) have them ask "We are currently taking a survey to better assist guests with disabilities and special needs. Please let us know how you heard about requesting an Egg Crate Matress Pad. We look forward to your response"

If I answer that I got the information from these boards, is anyone going to get in trouble?

I got the same response to my inquiry and told them that I got the information on this board, but the link is available on the website as well. Having said that, I didn't know at the time that this is primarily a link for people with special needs...e.g., handicapped access, etc. I still would have made the request, but probably not through this channel.

I hesitated before sending an email to special needs, as I don't consider myself "special needs". However, I have a bad back from a car accident 3 years ago that is so bad (and the beds on the Mariner didn't help) that at times I can't get up out of bed, I have to roll out onto the floor. NOT a pretty sight! LOL

I will respond to their question.

I had understood that Jewel would have the new beds by May 2006. But nope. Glad I checked. So I emailed & 4 hours later I got an email from them that the bed will have it when we arrive 5/14.

Now that is what I call SERVICE!

I emailed special_needs@rccl.com a couple of days ago requesting the egg crate foam mattress for our cruise in May and got an email back and they said we will get them. So now we just have to wait and see.

On a side note, I am a loyal RCI customer who just tried HAL for the first time. While I have mixed emotions about HAL, their beds and bedding are stellar. I would probably sail with them b/c of that alone. It's a shame RCI doesn't invest more on this type of thing. I hope Freedom has better quality bedding! :D

I sent an email two or three days ago and never heard anything from them. I followed the link that was posted here. I wonder if that means that we won't be getting the egg crate mattress? When emailing I mentioned my DH's bad back.

Just e-mailed "special needs" for the foam mattress. Our cruise is not until September, but wife has had two back surgeries. Thanks for the "heads-up", as I was going to wait til we boarded to ask. I hope the early request works.

Archived