ATT Pre paid Phone cards??

I think I've decided it isn't worth the expense to get a phone for 2 weeks on our cruise. I know the rates are very reasonable on the ATT pre paid cards from Sam's ( about 3 for 1 or 5 for 1 depending on the country) but wonder how easy it is to find a phone they will work on. Has anyone done this? If so, were there many problems?

We purchased a MCI card and had some difficulty. We tried to use it while at the dock in St. Petersburg, problem was, all the directions on the phones were in Russian, as were the prompts! We just relied on email, it wasn't the same as talking to our kids, but they knew how to get in touch with us if there was an emergency. Needless to say, our money was not well spent. What we spent on the phone card would have paid for our Internet access on the ship.

Mobal is a great option as opposed to renting a phone if you're going to go once. I will be going to Europe 3 times in the next 12 months, so I opted for another company that uses pre-paid SIM cards. While the initial cost is significantly higher than Mobal ($199 for the phone, accessories, and a pre-paid SIM with $60 of air time), the per-minute charges are about a third of what Mobal charges, so if you use it enough, the total cost will be cheaper in the long run. Same deal as Mobal otherwise, I will have a number I can give people to call in case of emergency and will able to make and receive calls.

US purchased phone cards are not easily used in northern Europe.

Archived