What to do in Melaka, Malaysia?

ssawjo

We will be in Melaka on the Oceania Riviera on Jan. 23, 2024.  This is a replacement port for Yangon, Myanmar.  To date, I cannot find anything interesting to do there.  Our times there are 11 AM to 6 PM.  Does anyone who has been there know of anything interesting to do there?  Thanks, Bill

Melaka is a fascinating city, because of its history as the birthplace of the Peranakan culture in Southeast Asia.

In summary, starting in the 15th century and continuing until the 19th, waves of Chinese settlers moved down into the Malaya Peninsula.  As they were mostly men, they married the local Malay women and over the centuries, created a completely unique culture which was a mix of both ethnicities— called Peranakan or Straits Chinese, or Baba-Nyonya.

Malacca, Penang and Singapore are the best places to go for a good look at their unique style of art, architecture and cuisine.  

I have been to Malacca and I would suggest: Jonker Street for eating and shopping, the bright red Dutch Christchurch, and (my favorite) the Baba & Nyonya Heritage Museum.  This is a very interesting home in a conglomerate of styles (including European) which shows how the typically wealthy Straits Chinese families used to live.

And finally, BruceMuzz’s suggestion of antique shopping is right on point.  In “the old days” familiarity bred contempt, so to speak, and the art and artifacts from this period were not highly valued.  But according to a scholarly friend of mine, there is now a lot of interest in these items and prices are going up and up!

Emily

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mrs. Claypool said:

Melaka is a fascinating city, because of its history as the birthplace of the Peranakan culture in Southeast Asia.

In summary, starting in the 15th century and continuing until the 19th, waves of Chinese settlers moved down into the Malaya Peninsula.  As they were mostly men, they married the local Malay women and over the centuries, created a completely unique culture which was a mix of both ethnicities— called Peranakan or Straits Chinese, or Baba-Nyonya.

Malacca, Penang and Singapore are the best places to go for a good look at their unique style of art, architecture and cuisine.  

I have been to Malacca and I would suggest: Jonker Street for eating and shopping, the bright red Dutch Christchurch, and (my favorite) the Baba & Nyonya Heritage Museum.  This is a very interesting home in a conglomerate of styles (including European) which shows how the typically wealthy Straits Chinese families used to live.

And finally, BruceMuzz’s suggestion of antique shopping is right on point.  In “the old days” familiarity bred contempt, so to speak, and the art and artifacts from this period were not highly valued.  But according to a scholarly friend of mine, there is now a lot of interest in these items and prices are going up and up!

Emily

Emily, thank you for your suggestions.  Can you walk from the ship to these places?  Are they near each other, in other words?  I am not sure if we tender off the ship or not.  Bill

The cruise ships drop anchor offshore.  After that, you tender in and dock right next to the old town at the Parameswara Jetty.

From there, you can walk to the places that I listed, as well as other sites of interest which are all in the compact historic town center within a few minutes walk.  

Emily