Solo travelers dining questions

vswan

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Lol thanks for sharing. I was wondering where the locations of the new cabins were. Hopefully it varies by ship.

They're all over the ships, just go to NCL's website and look at the deck plans to see for yourself.  Getaway has some mid-ship deck 10 as well, and a whole bunch on deck 9...

37 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I have a balcony booked by myself as a solo 12/23 (before the new classifications take effect).  I phoned NCL and asked if I would have access to the studio lounge and was told “No.”  I am hoping that is wrong as it makes 0 sense to me.  I will ask again when I board.

While I agree it makes no sense, you will not have access to the studio lounge,  while I haven’t sailed on the new categories, I have sailed solo outside of the studio complex.  They are really strict about this,  you cannot have access to the lounge outside of the nightly solo meetings - if they have them in the lounge.  

I argued this years ago when I was in a balcony on the Epic, paying full double fares.  The cabin cost more than a studio cabin would have, but they would not budge.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyCapn said:

For my Getaway cruise, the new solo inside cabins are either on deck 5 directly under the atrium, or the very front of deck 8. So it would seem they are "ideal for the solo traveller" in the sense that "Only one cruiser will be disappointed with their cabin location, instead of two."

LOL, that is funny (and true) !   But you know, I read through a thread somewhere asking about complaints about cabins they ended up with it.  I have had a cheap , guarantee cabin 3 times in my life  (actually the only times I've cruised so far) and I have had zero complaints about these cabins which usually are not well thought of.  I agree that  what is tolerable is subjective and also depends a lot on your personal traveling situation ie. one person vs group or even just a couple. As a solo traveler these 3 cabins that I had no choice in choosing (1 with was another cruise line) were perfect for me.  I'm not fussy, but even so, they were not under, over , or near any source of obnoxious noise.  They were pitch black at night, making for great sleeping conditions.  They were quiet.  No complaints from me. Some of the descriptions of  the noise that the people in the thread commented on about their often much higher priced cabins made me realize you can end up with a lot worse than a "guarantee cabin' for a lot more money.  But like I said, even two people might have a tight squeeze getting around these cabins I've been in . But they really were "ideal for the solo traveler"  (who is not fussy)  The only complaint I had on my recent cruise on the Encore was that it was a bit of a hike to get to my cabin but other than that, it was very comfy.  For some people it might even be better than what they have at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russiamomm said:

True.  So the old rules apply.  I’d be stunned if they caved and granted access to the lounge for anyone not staying in a Studio.

I read and was told verbally that the new *solo* insides, oceanview and balcony cabins did include access to the studio lounge which would be attractive to some solo cruisers.

1 minute ago, Smitheroo said:

I read and was told verbally that the new *solo* insides, oceanview and balcony cabins did include access to the studio lounge which would be attractive to some solo cruisers.

Agreed.  And I’m interested in them too, just for that reason.  But if the cruise wasn’t booked as that category, and it’s my understanding they aren’t even available yet for this cruise, I have to believe the terns of the original booking will apply and there will be no access to the lounge.

1 hour ago, Russiamomm said:

While I agree it makes no sense, you will not have access to the studio lounge,  while I haven’t sailed on the new categories, I have sailed solo outside of the studio complex.  They are really strict about this,  you cannot have access to the lounge outside of the nightly solo meetings - if they have them in the lounge.  

I argued this years ago when I was in a balcony on the Epic, paying full double fares.  The cabin cost more than a studio cabin would have, but they would not budge.

I agree on two points. 1) a solo passenger in a regular inside would not be allowed  in the studio lounge   2) it doesnt make sense but you know how that goes.     Having restricted access would be important to some solo travelers so it is a benefit that comes along with only the new category and studio cabins.  Maybe in the future they might allow all solo travelers.  That would make sense.

Just now, Russiamomm said:

Agreed.  And I’m interested in them too, just for that reason.  But if the cruise wasn’t booked as that category, and it’s my understanding they aren’t even available yet for this cruise, I have to believe the terns of the original booking will apply and there will be no access to the lounge.

I agree, that is also my understanding. Personally, I couldnt care less about a restricted access lounge but some might

1 minute ago, Smitheroo said:

I agree on two points. 1) a solo passenger in a regular inside would not be allowed  in the studio lounge   2) it doesnt make sense but you know how that goes.     Having restricted access would be important to some solo travelers so it is a benefit that comes along with only the new category and studio cabins.  Maybe in the future they might allow all solo travelers.  That would make sense.

I completely agree,  but the cabins have to be in the right categories.  They will not re-key a card for a solo in a cabin not categorized as a solo cabin to allow access to the lounge.

2 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I agree, that is also my understanding. Personally, I couldnt care less about a restricted access lounge but some might

Agreed!  I’ve sailed in the studios four times.  I love the lounge, but really only for the espresso machine.  😂. Most of the time the space is empty.  Not worth paying a premium just for a couple of espressos every day.  

On 11/2/2023 at 2:00 AM, nudistcruzer said:

The "studio lounge" was only accessible to people in the studios in the past. It was a perk because you had a tiny room with not so much as a window. It is still called the "studio lounge". Only people in the Studios have had access to the "Studio Lounge" I don't know what you're talking about when to refer to a "Solo Lounge". Solo Travelers that are not in a "Studio cabin" have never had access in the past, except when there is a specific scheduled solo gathering and the solo travelers coordinator would prop open the door to allow access, only for those events.

That said, the Lounge was rarely busy. If your key allows access to the Studio Cabin area then you can get in. Otherwise, no access. On the Viva in a month from today, I might have a definitive answer. Certainly in February on the Getaway I will know for sure.

Only ships in the Epic class, Breakaway class, Breakaway+ Class and Prima class have "studio cabins" and/or "Studio Lounges". I've Been on Epic class and Breakaway class and about to go on Prima Class for the first time. 

Some might comment that you need to check the website frequently for changes.   This category of cabin that also gives studio lounge access is new.  (Obviously only if the ship has a studio lounge.  There are ships with the new category who dont have studios and therefore no lounge)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

Agreed!  I’ve sailed in the studios four times.  I love the lounge, but really only for the espresso machine.  😂. Most of the time the space is empty.  Not worth paying a premium just for a couple of espressos every day.  

There is something about the studio cabins that appeal to me.  I am sure a large balcony cabin would appeal but they are usually out of my budget.   Even with the new category of cabin for solos a studio still appeals to me. Maybe I would change my mind after  traveling in one.  I would think passengers timid about traveling solo might like the idea of a restricted access lounge.   I have no problem with being down a long hallway somewhere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

There is something about the studio cabins that appeal to me.  I am sure a large balcony cabin would appeal but they are usually out of my budget.   Even with the new category of cabin for solos a studio still appeals to me. Maybe I would change my mind after  traveling in one.  I would think passengers timid about traveling solo might like the idea of a restricted access lounge.   I have no problem with being down a long hallway somewhere.

Don’t get me wrong.  I LOVED the studio cabins.  Perfect for a single person.  Well appointed and bright.  And I did love the key-access to the entire space.  But the cost of them is often higher than a solo in a regular inside cabin (and sometimes even for a solo oceanview or balcony.).   I think the new categories could work out well.  I just fear they are going to demand too much of a premium for them.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Some might comment that you need to check the website frequently for changes.   This category of cabin that also gives studio lounge access is new.  (Obviously only if the ship has a studio lounge.  There are ships with the new category who dont have studios and therefore no lounge)

Please provide a link to what you are talking about. That would be helpful.

If you read what I said, I only referred to the past. I didn't say the new solo rooms didn't have access, I only said they never did in the past. Others have said that all solos always had access in the past which is not true. Opening up other rooms that have access to the studio lounge does cheapen the Studios' exclusivity and security. But since getting to the studio lounge is a pain for anyone not in a studio, I doubt many will use it.

Edited by nudistcruzer

7 minutes ago, nudistcruzer said:

Just try to book a balcony cabin, for example, change # of guests to 1 and you will see the option for a solo balcony cabin. Not hidden, but it is new.  I dont think there is an explanation on the website other than in the cabin choices when booking.  I was just trying to be funny which is why I said "some" might comment you need to check the website. Like those that comment "you need to read the T & Cs".  

5 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Just try to book a balcony cabin, for example, change # of guests to 1 and you will see the option for a solo balcony cabin. Not hidden, but it is new.  I dont think there is an explanation on the website other than in the cabin choices when booking.  I was just trying to be funny which is why I said "some" might comment you need to check the website. Like those that comment "you need to read the T & Cs".  

LINK: https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations/studios

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nudistcruzer said:

LINK: 

4 minutes ago, nudistcruzer said:

I'm glad you found it. I found it by booking a cabin as a solo traveler.   This only happened in the last few weeks and doesnt start until 2024.  (that is the solo inside, oceanview and balcony)

39 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I have also always liked the Studio Cabins. I first had one on the Epic in 2012; then on the getaway in 2014.  My only issue was the length of the bed. I always pulled it away from the wall to give me a few more inches. Of course the first thing they did was push it up against the wall when they made up the room. The slight overhang of the headboard made it even shorter. So, pulling it away from the wall made it longer.

26 minutes ago, nudistcruzer said:

If you read what I said, I only referred to the past. I didn't say the new solo rooms didn't have access, I only said they never did in the past. Others have said that all solos always had access in the past which is not true. Opening up other rooms that have access to the studio lounge does cheapen the Studios' exclusivity and security. But since getting to the studio lounge is a pain for anyone not in a studio, I doubt many will use it.

I'm unable to find your original post but I either misunderstood or you edited it after I had read it.  When I commented my comment seemed appropriate so not sure what you had written.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nudistcruzer said:

I have also always liked the Studio Cabins. I first had one on the Epic in 2012; then on the getaway in 2014.  My only issue was the length of the bed. I always pulled it away from the wall to give me a few more inches. Of course the first thing they did was push it up against the wall when they made up the room. The slight overhang of the headboard made it even shorter. So, pulling it away from the wall made it longer.

LOL.  Sometimes being short is a benefit.  I never had that problem.  😂

Just now, nudistcruzer said:

You have the option of not having the room steward make your bed if its a problem to always have to pull it away (I think it would be)  Or else tell him/her what and why you are doing that and they will probably leave it alone.  On the first day I tell my steward not to bother making my bed  and that I can take care of that. Just please make sure I have dry towels and empty the trash.  I also clean up any messes I make, crumbs on the floor etc.  So there's that option to configure the room the way you like.   I figure they have enough work to do. I also dont want to have to deal with worrying whether my presence is getting in the way of their work. Towels and trash are easily taken care of.  I know you didnt ask for this info lol

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I'm unable to find your original post but I either misunderstood or you edited it after I had read it.  When I commented my comment seemed appropriate so not sure what you had written.  

It was 3 days ago, editing is only allowed for a few minutes. No problem.

I have learned what the website/customer service says and what happens on the ship are two different things. Just because one is supposed to have access doesn't mean they will. Each key needs to be specifically encoded for the Studio Lounge. One might need to go to guest services if ones key is not working for access to the Studio Lounge. If lounge access is important to someone, I would print the website page and show them if necessary. I have had to do similar things in the past on different cruise lines and only printing these things allowed the situation to be rectified.  

23 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

You have the option of not having the room steward make your bed if its a problem to always have to pull it away (I think it would be)  Or else tell him/her what and why you are doing that and they will probably leave it alone.  On the first day I tell my steward not to bother making my bed  and that I can take care of that. Just please make sure I have dry towels and empty the trash.  I also clean up any messes I make, crumbs on the floor etc.  So there's that option to configure the room the way you like.   I figure they have enough work to do. I also dont want to have to deal with worrying whether my presence is getting in the way of their work. Towels and trash are easily taken care of.  I know you didnt ask for this info lol

I even go as far to bring a vacuum with me to hotels.  Mostly because I have a dog that sheds more than any other dog, ever. I just double checked and the beds are still small. Even in boarding school when I was 14 the bed was 4 or 5 inches longer than what the studio cabins offer. 

I did just read that this issue with the bed length is not just the Studio Cabins. Since I have only been in Studio cabins on ships that have had them, I had no idea... Many have complained, so, I am hoping that this issue has been addressed on the Prima Class.

Edited by nudistcruzer

Unfortunately, there is a statement on NCL's website that says "*Solo Lounge and accessibility varies by ship." I'm not sure what this means, since above it says "And all Solo Staterooms include access to our Studio Lounge*." The "*" points to something that negates the statement in part. So my original statement that said, if your key gives you access, then you have access seems to be most correct. Like having access to the Studio Lounge is not a sure thing... 

Link: https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations/studios

It says also: "Complimentary coffee, espresso, and snacks available throughout the day in the Studio Lounge (not available on Pride of America)". This would seem to imply that every single ship has a studio lounge except for "Pride of America". Again, this doesn't seem to make any sense. Since only ships that had studios had a studio lounge and the first ship that had studios was the Epic as far as I know... All very strange and hard to really know what is what...

Edited by nudistcruzer