Best way to buy Train Tickets in UK

gdlamberth

First, please my woeful ignorance of the British Rail Ticketing system.  

Our situation is that we'd like to take a train from Southampton Central to LGW  (we're staying at the Hilton near Gatwick train station) after disembarking a cruise on Wednesday 28 Aug 2024.  We'd also like to take the train into London after dropping our luggage at the hotel to spend the afternoon and evening in London and return to hotel that evening.  We will have luggage going to LGW so would prefer a direct train to LGW; but, don't need to be in First Class.  Also, we'd like to head to LGW as early as possible, but can't guarantee what time we can  be at Southampton Central.

What way would you recommend we purchase the tickets (there also seems to be a wide variety of ticket types with an equally wide variety of pricing)? 

Thanks for your patience and assistance,

Greg

This route is usually operated by Southern Rail.  Currently, there is one train an hour that does not require you to change trains, although if you were desperate, you could do it at any time by changing trains...personally, I wouldn't bother! You have plenty of time to plan your journey and you can't buy tickets until 12 weeks prior anyway. Current price is £9.50 and the trip is just under 2 hours, as this is essentially a commuter line that stops at nearly all stations, but you'll get to see the countryside!

Probably best site is https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

You can use others, but £9.50 is cheap anyway, so probably not worth the bother.

As to going to London and back, you have a choice of going to Victoria or London Bridge stations. Don't bother with the Gatwick Express...it costs more and saves you 5 minutes! Just a use a 'normal' train and as this again is a commuter route, I'd just buy a return ticket at Gatwick on the day.

Everyone will now violently disagree with me!😁

Simon

PS if you are at City Cruise terminal, its a 10 minute easy walk to the station.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

Probably best site is https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

You can use others, but £9.50 is cheap anyway, so probably not worth the bother.

When I go to this site (using a November 16 date) the ticket prices range from 9.50 to 22.50 GBP for advance tickets.  While it may not be important, I'm curious why such a large variance (I don't think the higher price were 1st Class)?  Also, since the tickets are labeled "valid for this service only" I assume I should purchase a ticket late enough (say 1130) to ensure I won't miss my train -OR- simply buy an "anytime" ticket for a higher price (much higher)...do I have that right?

Thank you so much,

Greg

Since the rail companies were privatised, the ticketing system is a mystery to everyone and don’t even get me started on split ticketing!

As you say, the prices do vary and that’s why you have to look and choose the price and time that works for you. As you say (again), if you buy a ticket for a particular service, you have got to use it on that train. As you can’t buy a ticket until next May/June anyway, I would wait and see what is happening nearer the time and we can help you out if need be. At least you have an idea now of prices and times.

Simon

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sddsddean said:

Everyone will now violently disagree with me!😁

Simon

PS if you are at City Cruise terminal, its a 10 minute easy walk to the station.

No I won't,  Simon 😛

(almost) everything as per your post. 🙂)

Plus .........

The cheap "advance tickets" have a restriction which shouldn't worry you as long as you're aware

"This service only" means that the tickets are only good for the train time that you booked.

If you miss that train they're trash & you'll have to buy fresh tickets at the  full walk-up price.

Also, the advance ticket prices are dynamic - their price may increase as the date draws near. 

So be as sure as you can of the earliest train you can catch, & book tickets 8 to 12 weeks ahead.

Most ships arriving in Southampton are cleared to disembark from about 7am (unassisted), with regular disembarkation in tranches from 7.30.

If you're allocated a late disembarkation slot Guest Relations on the ship will normally bring it forward for you if you say "pretty please" and cite your onward travel arrangements.

If you're to walk to the station in 10 minutes you'd best arrange for Simon to  schlep your luggage 😃I suggest you allow a good 20 minutes, and you'll need to use the station elevators - your platform is a central one.

For the 8.09 train you're best to self-disembark at about 7am, for the 9.13 train you'll need a disembarkation slot  at or before 8am. 

Train times rarely change but fares do.

Yes, the ticketing has been a minefield since trains were privatised - there's talk of the government next year requiring simplification, and better value for full-priced fares. But "government" and "talk" in the same sentence  means "don't hold your breath" 🙄

Higher-priced "off-peak" tickets can be used for any train after commuter time & mainly on London routes which arrive in London before 10a.m. - probably won't affect you, might not even apply on that route, so broadly it's "advance" for your chosen train time, or "off-peak" for a train at any time.

Clear as mud 

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

Beware: there is currently a proposal (not yet approved) to end the current hourly direct trains from Southampton to Gatwick Airport sometime in 2024.

If it goes ahead, you would have to change trains en route, adding extra journey time (and hassle).

• Thanks 1