Antarctica time zone

machotspur

OK - here's a rather unusual question for you Antarctica veterans out there.

We head off for our Falklands/South Georgia/Antarctica in 48 hours, beginning with a couple of days in Santiago, Chile.

I believe that Santiago time zone is GMT -3 hours. Falklands is GMT -3 hours & South Georgia GMT -2 hours.

HOWEVER - I understand that Antarctica is GMT +12 hours, although the various research stations there apparently have there own time zone, presumably aligned to their home country.

So how do the cruise ships, specifically Silversea, handle this ? I'm thinking that we will keep with Chile time (GMT -3 hours) all the way round ?  

2 hours ago, machotspur said:

I'm thinking that we will keep with Chile time (GMT -3 hours) all the way round ?  

You got it! The ship keeps Chile time in Antarctica. We did change to South Georgia time while we were there.

We did part of this itinerary in January 2020 (minus The Falklands) and I just checked my Chronicles to be sure. We had 3 sea days on the way to South Georgia so we moved ahead one hour on the first of those nights. That way, we were all adjusted when we got there. We got that hour back on the night we left South Georgia and stayed on Chile time for the rest of the trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2