Encore Singapore to Hong Kong Ports

cruiseryder

We are doing this cruise in January 25 and beginning to plan what to do in each port.  Very grateful for all the information appearing in this chat. Please advise of any other useful links.

One suggestion in Bangkok for something that is not usually seen on regular tours.  See if you can find a tour that can take you to the Prasart Museum.  It is privately owned, lets only a small amount of people there each day and was a high point of one of our trips to Bangkok.

Thanks for the kind words. I’ve just come back from travelling in Thailand for a few weeks. Chiangmai up north, then back down to Bangkok and we drove down from BKK to Krabi via Sam Roi Yot (lovely area). Krabi was as wonderful as ever

its a very long day to drive from Laem Chabang to Bangkok to merely scratch the surface of a city that needs several days of your attention. Similarly Pattaya only really comes alive at night. The temple of truth however is a cheap taxi ride from the ship and I spent the best part of a day there. I had a simple bit of lunch there. There is a beach at Pattaya but you’re far better off enjoying Koh Kood. A brilliant day. 

Vietnam was a private taxi rented on arrival from the port and excellent. Ho Chi Min city for us was an overnight, I presume the same here. Wonderful city without the panic of having to rush back to the ship.

On 2/29/2024 at 2:02 AM, annapolitan369 said:

One suggestion in Bangkok for something that is not usually seen on regular tours.  See if you can find a tour that can take you to the Prasart Museum.  It is privately owned, lets only a small amount of people there each day and was a high point of one of our trips to Bangkok.

12 hours ago, Able Seaman H said:

Thanks for the kind words. I’ve just come back from travelling in Thailand for a few weeks. Chiangmai up north, then back down to Bangkok and we drove down from BKK to Krabi via Sam Roi Yot (lovely area). Krabi was as wonderful as ever

its a very long day to drive from Laem Chabang to Bangkok to merely scratch the surface of a city that needs several days of your attention. Similarly Pattaya only really comes alive at night. The temple of truth however is a cheap taxi ride from the ship and I spent the best part of a day there. I had a simple bit of lunch there. There is a beach at Pattaya but you’re far better off enjoying Koh Kood. A brilliant day. 

Vietnam was a private taxi rented on arrival from the port and excellent. Ho Chi Min city for us was an overnight, I presume the same here. Wonderful city without the panic of having to rush back to the ship.

Another suggestion is Jim Thompson House Museum. No need to take a tour, we took a boat along the canal/river and alighted right by his house.  Google him and you will find his history, his influence on the silk trade and his eventual disappearance in the Cameron Highlands.

The problem with Bangkok is it’s a reasonable distance from your port and the traffic can be horrific. I wouldn’t venture there independently and that’s saying something from someone who picked up a hire car from Suvarnabhumi airport and drove down to Krabi the other day. You dare not risk the ship leaving without you.

Bangkok is a great city, getting up at the crack of dawn and sitting on a bus for hours just to scratch the surface of tick it off a list isn’t worth it. Linking BKK to Singapore at the start or end of that cruise (depending which way round you’re doing it) would make more sense in my humble opinion.

I always look for low hanging fruit when planning what to do with a port day.