All About Cabins; Tell Me About Yours, Please

twoatsea

Hope this isn't a repeat - I just tried to post it & got timed out!

I am just full of questions, as you will see by this post! ;) DH & I will be on the Westerdam sailing 3/26 :) , but I doubt very much that we will be able to see all of the cabins of interest before the rightful owners arrive. Soooo, if anyone knows the answers, I would appreciate some info, please. We will be on the Westerdam again in July & I'm sure we will have other cruises this year, so the info will still be worthwhile for future use.

Also, info that anyone has to offer about various cabins on any ship would be appreciated. We've sailed on numerous HAL ships & I'm sure we will continue to do so - "Lord willin' & the creek don't rise", as the old saying goes.

1. Is there some place that gives the size of individual cabins & balconies on the various ships? On the deck plans, some look larger even tho they are in the same category. I realize the deck plans are not to scale.

2. On the Westerdam deck plans, it appears that the center VA aft cabins are longer than the outside VA aft cabins, because of the bow in the aft decks. Is this true? If they are longer, are they narrower?

3. On the Westerdam Upper Prom Deck, there are 2 VB aft cabins. Are those smaller than the VA's in that same area? They look smaller on the plans.

4. The aft balconies can be seen from the above balconies, except the ones on the Navigation Deck. Has that been a problem for anyone?

5. Do the aft cabins on the Navigation Deck have sun, or only shade? Do the aft cabins on the other decks have sun only, or do they have some shade? (Referring to overhang/structure, not the location of the sun.)

6. Do the aft cabins on the Navigation Deck get noise from the public area above - in the cabin & on the balcony?

7. How about the other cabins on the Navigation Deck - anyone noticed any noise from above?

8. How about the cabins on the Main Deck - any noise from above?

9. Which cabins have chaise lounges on the balconies, instead of chairs?

10. In cabins without DVD players, can one be requested (& paid for if need) & a player will be hooked up?

Whew! As inquisitive as a 4 year old!!!! :o

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Has anyone figured out how to get a good deck plan copy from HAL's site??? The large one cuts off the aft & the "print ready" copy is so small even my magnifying glass does not help!!! :eek: (love those little faces!!)

All of the aft cabins on a single deck are the same size even know the deck plans don't show it that way.

I'm not sure about aft cabins, but amidships cabins on the Navigation Deck do not have a problem with noise from above.

As for balconies with chase lounges, all Category S and SS suites have chase lounges and chairs but I beleive that Cat. VA and other Deluxe Verandah Outside cabins have only chairs and a table, in all of the rooms.

All of the aft cabins on a single deck are the same size even know the deck plans don't show it that way.

Not true - the deckplans are to scale and the VB's next to the suites are smaller than the center VA's.

I'm not sure about aft cabins, but amidships cabins on the Navigation Deck do not have a problem with noise from above.

Not necessarily - the SS's below the midship Lido Pool (forward of the glass elevators) do get some noise from above - chairs/tables scraping the deck. Similar noises will be evident in the stern section below the Aft Lido pooldeck.

As for balconies with chase lounges, all Category S and SS suites have chase lounges and chairs but I beleive that Cat. VA and other Deluxe Verandah Outside cabins have only chairs and a table, in all of the rooms.

Incorrect again.

SS/SY's and SA/SB/SC's have 2 Lounge chairs & ottomans, plus the Cafe table and chairs. Chaise Lounges are only found on aft-facing verandahs: 2 for Suites and 1 on VA's, plus 2 on the PH's...

DVD players are not available for rent, Deck 8 aft staterooms are in full shade (unless you're sailing due-north around Noon, then you'll get some sum), and some folks don't care for others being able to look down upon them on their verandahs (never a problem for me personally)

Not necessarily - the SS's below the midship Lido Pool (forward of the glass elevators) do get some noise from above - chairs/tables scraping the deck. Similar noises will be evident in the stern section below the Aft Lido pooldeck.

Brian is correct. We were in 8059 on the Westerdam and had scraping noises from above from early morning until evening--it woke us up each morning.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your very informative answers. I didn't respond earlier because we unexpectedly left Indiana early (we drove to Ft. Lauderdale port). We heard the weather alert about a bad snowstorm so we beat it out of town!!

Now we are back from our cruise. We had cabin VA8022. Very nice cabin. I was concerned about it being too far aft & me getting sea sick. I got woozy a couple of times, but nothing serious.

We did get offered two upgrades once we got onboard (we put our name on the list at the front desk). But didn't take either because we didn't want to pay the extra being charged.

A corner aft suite (SA, SB, or SC, don't remember which) for $1400 total more than we had already paid.

A midship suite (SS, SY, or SZ, don't remember which) for $435 total more than we had already paid.

We were already settled in (even tho the cabin steward would have moved us) & didn't feel it was worth the hassle. We felt the next level suite didn't offer anything above what we had that was of interest to us. The aft suite was gorgeous, but after paying for a our cabin, we felt $1400 was too much. We happened to bring along a print of the last HAL prices & the total was about the same - in other words, not a "deal".

Anyway, thanks again for your help. I'm going to print the info you gave me for my future reference.

4. The aft balconies can be seen from the above balconies, except the ones on the Navigation Deck. Has that been a problem for anyone?

5. Do the aft cabins on the Navigation Deck have sun, or only shade? Do the aft cabins on the other decks have sun only, or do they have some shade? (Referring to overhang/structure, not the location of the sun.)

6. Do the aft cabins on the Navigation Deck get noise from the public area above - in the cabin & on the balcony?

7. How about the other cabins on the Navigation Deck - anyone noticed any noise from above?

8. How about the cabins on the Main Deck - any noise from above?

9. Which cabins have chaise lounges on the balconies, instead of chairs?

10. In cabins without DVD players, can one be requested (& paid for if need) & a player will be hooked up?

Whew! As inquisitive as a 4 year old!!!! :o

Thanks in advance.

p.s. Has anyone figured out how to get a good deck plan copy from HAL's site??? The large one cuts off the aft & the "print ready" copy is so small even my magnifying glass does not help!!! :eek: (love those little faces!!)

I was just on ZUI in cabin 8128, an aft SB suite.

We had both sun and shade and total privacy, unless the cabins below, which I would not have wanted as I could see onto all of them.

We had a table for four, two loungers and two large chairs with hassocks.

There was noise every morning before 7am due to deck chairs being arranged for the day. As I am an early riser, it was not a problem for me but I see where it could be for others.

Hi twoatsea ... could you please carify the room # you were in and if you were in the AFT (back of the ship)... The Westerdam does not have a cabin 8022 in the aft; on the deckplan at Hal it is quite close to the bow, did you mean 8122?

If you were in the Aft how big was your balcony?

Thanks

Barb

For twoatsea...

I loved all your questions...I, too, am as inquisitive as a 4-year old! Now that you are back from your WESTERDAM cruise...have you posted a review? I'd love to read all your details because I'm sailing on the WESTERDAM in just over six months.

I can offer a possible solution to your deck plan question...I do this for all my cruises because of the eye strain you get from trying to read the published ones: Take the brochure pages for the deck plans of "your" ship to your local office supply store or copy center and get a color enlargement done on 11" x 17" cardstock paper. You'll find that you'll be able to read them without a magnifying glass, plus you'll be able to write pertinent notes in the white margins. Just fold the card stock into a pocket-sized packet and you'll have all the info you need handy while you are on your cruise!

Debjo

Hi twoatsea, we also have just returned from Westerdam 03/26,we had a Fab time, I am a little confused, we had VA8016 and were neighbours but we were forward portside. To answer your questions we were below the therapy pool so did not hear a thing, I felt a little motion on a couple of nights but it was ok for me, The balcony furniture consisted of two chairs and a small ottoman, I felt there was easily enough room for a recliner instead of one of the chairs to catch the rays it was a right little suntrap, I had myself balanced in some very precarious positions trying to stretch out if you were our neighbour you will of been wondeing what all the noise was, now you know;)

I thought all staterooms had DVD'S and was a little dissapointed when we didn't,not that we had time to watch one.

We wanted to upgrade and went to front office but there was a large sign saying The Westrdam was sailing full to capacity and no upgrades were available, I believe that quite a few princess pax had been given the option of sailing on the Westerdam and that is why she was full but that is only hearsay!!! I hope you have a great cruise in july, I am just dreaming till we can cruise again :p

• 2 weeks later...

:eek: Ouch! I feel terrible. I forgot about this post & while checking all of my posts this evening, I found this. So sorry that I did not answer sooner.

Also discovered, as Bubski stated, I said "aft" instead of "bow". Yes, we were close to the bow. Like Lindleyjulie said, a couple of nights we did experience some "extra" ship motion. However, unlike Lindleyjulie, I did get a little "woozy", but nothing serious. Very nice cabin; enjoyed the balcony. My husband saw some flying fish!

Debjo - I did plan to do a review & still have my notes. Maybe I can start on that tonight or tomorrow.

However, the cruise was wonderful. At first we did not like the size of the Westerdam, because we have only sailed the smaller HAL ships. But all too soon we were in love with her! In fact, we have left a message for our TA to schedule a Panama Canal cruise aboard her in September. :)

We thought the food was very good, but we only went to the dining room on the first night - for the Prime Rib :D & to advise our tablemates not to wait for us if we did not appear at the exact time. We had room service twice, which was very timely & the food was appropriately hot/cold. Both orders were exactly as ordered. The rest of the nights we ate in the Lido. This was a relaxation cruise for us & we did not take any "dressy" clothes. Ashbell, who grilled the steaks every evening in the Lido, cooked the steaks to perfection. We complimented him on the steaks & after being appropriately gracious, he said that he has often been told so. We told him that from now on, he is invited to all of our home bar-b-ques!

The only food problem we had was "peanut butter"! I like PB on our waffles and for each breakfast I only ate a waffle; not much of a breakfast eater. Well, the PB was behind the counter of one of the Lido's main food line, but not always on the same side. So I would have to go to one side, wait for an opportunity to ask for PB, & then wait for a server to have the time to spoon some out for me, or be sent to the other side, & so on! (We put this on our comment forms.) But we have solved this problem for our future cruises. We will bring a small plastic jar of PB with us!! No problem since I always carry a bag with me while on board the ship. After breakfast, I can just take the PB back to our cabin fridge. More than one way to skin a jar of peanut butter!! :p

We thought the crew was very friendly & responsive.

It was a great cruise.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

For twoatsea...

I hope you find time to write/post your review. I'm less than six months from my WESTERDAM cruise now and have a voracious appetite for any "news" about the ship.

Debjo

In my opinion, the SS category cabin I had on Zuiderdam last fall was the best cabin I've ever had, excluding full suites (and actually exceeding several of those too). Layout-wise, size, storage, bathroom, and balcony all were very above average!

The cabin was #8070, midship, just two rooms forward of the elevators, starboard side. There was absolutely ZERO noise from above, either in the cabin or on the balcony. The room is wonderfully spacious and well laid out:

h120969755_67101.jpg

Two desk areas...very smart. One can be a vanity desk, next to the very large couch, while the other which has a window looking out on the balcony is a great writing desk (or the 'man's desk'...where I kept and recharged all of my camera gear). The couch is very large, and also has the coffee table and two chairs. The almost square cabin has significant room for moving about...no waiting for one-way passage past the foot of the beds. The closet space and drawer space was so generous that possibly for the first time ever on a cruise, we had some drawers near empty!

The lovely wide balcony had lots of room, beautiful wood decking, see-through kick plates, and two comfortable chair-ottoman combos:

h121558279_51764.jpg

Plus enough room for a table with two chairs:

h121753010_15711.jpg

We were under the deck overhang, which fortunately on this ship is not so deep that you feel you are sitting under a bridge, but deep enough to provide utter and complete privacy on your balcony from the upper deck area.

The balconies are not tiered, so you look all the way down to promenade, and there are no bulge areas where someone is looking into your balcony...privacy is only potentially intruded on from neighbors who would have to crane their heads around the divider to look in.

The balcony never gets windy...but always seemed to have a comfortable breeze...the perfect combo between the stilled air balconies and the wind-tunnel ones. And the overhang is not so obtrusive that you get no sunlight...during parts of each day, the sun will shine onto and into the balcony, but virtually always the balcony maintains some section of shade.

The bathrooms are fantastic...long, wide, with double sinks and double vanity mirror cases. The corner-mounted toilet has lots of room, the tub is large and includes a shower, and there is even a separate walk-in shower - two showers per suite!

I've been in supposedly larger full suites, and paid more for suites, that were less well laid out and less accomodating than this one. The room location was absolutely perfect for me - just 20 feet off the midship elevators, and just one deck below Lido, but with no noise intrusion from above or elevator noise.

In my opinion...one of the best room categories on any ship are the Vista class SS suites...a bargain to boot as they are nearly full suite size and layout at minisuite prices...and definately one of the best cabins I've had!

Archived