Seeing Alicante on your own

Alicante is a port that can be very easily done on our own. The city is very compact and should you decide to venture further the public transportation is very affordable and easy to use. We were there early this October and found it to be very charming and welcoming. 

Here is a blog post for your reference

https://zeweekendtraveller.com/index.php/europe/first-time-in-alicante/

On 11/5/2023 at 6:08 PM, alpencoolcruiser said:

Alicante is a port that can be very easily done on our own. The city is very compact and should you decide to venture further the public transportation is very affordable and easy to use.

read some of your blog and noticed you visited MARQ.  I cannot recommend enough that anyone visiting Alicante check for any special temporary exhibits which are on during their visit as Provinicial MARQ temporary exhibits could rival any in top  ranked museums worldwide both in terms of presentation and content, and entry costs are a fraction of what top museums would charge for temporary exhibitions of such class.

We were lucky enough to catch an amazing exhibition of Persian Empire artefacts on loan from the National Museum of Iran, and they currently have a temporary exhibition of Terracotta Army Warriers until end Jan 2024.  I think around 120, so do check what MARQ might be temporarily exhibiting on your visit dates.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, edinburgher said:

read some of your blog and noticed you visited MARQ.  I cannot recommend enough that anyone visiting Alicante check for any special temporary exhibits which are on during their visit as Provinicial MARQ temporary exhibits could rival any in top  ranked museums worldwide both in terms of presentation and content, and entry costs are a fraction of what top museums would charge for temporary exhibitions of such class.

We were lucky enough to catch an amazing exhibition of Persian Empire artefacts on loan from the National Museum of Iran, and they currently have a temporary exhibition of Terracotta Army Warriers until end Jan 2024.  I think around 120, so do check what MARQ might be temporarily exhibiting on your visit dates.

That is a good recommendation to check what exhibits MARQ is showing. We paid 5 Euros per /pax for the Qin and Han exhibition with the Terracotta warriors. Have to say though it was just a small portion with 9 warriors and a horse.  We already saw more warriors in a previous exhibition. 

16 hours ago, alpencoolcruiser said:

Have to say though it was just a small portion with 9 warriors and a horse.  We already saw more warriors in a previous exhibition. 

My sister will be disappointed if there are only 9 as she is expecting around 100.  She will be staying with friends who live on the outskirts of Alicante over New Year and planned to visit MARQ to see them. Perhaps the higher number includes exhibits  which are part of the wider exhibition.

Just curious.  Where did you see more in "a previous exhibition"?

Whatever, it is still worth checking MARQ temporary exhibitions which may be ongoing during a port of call visit "just in case".

9 hours ago, edinburgher said:

My sister will be disappointed if there are only 9 as she is expecting around 100.  She will be staying with friends who live on the outskirts of Alicante over New Year and planned to visit MARQ to see them. Perhaps the higher number includes exhibits  which are part of the wider exhibition.

Just curious.  Where did you see more in "a previous exhibition"?

Whatever, it is still worth checking MARQ temporary exhibitions which may be ongoing during a port of call visit "just in case".

Yeah we were disappointed as well: i was expecting to see what we saw in Oct 2015 in Graz Austria. Picture attached from that visit.

DSC08097_1.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alpencoolcruiser said:

i was expecting to see what we saw in Oct 2015 in Graz Austria. Picture attached from that visit.

Superb! Thank you so much for sharing.  Can totally understand the disappointment if you were expecting the same or similar in Alicante.  I will forewarn my sister so that she can lower her expectations.

• Like 1