On Scarlet Now Nov 5

conandrob240

Deep blue extras allowed us to line up outside early. We arrived around 12:20pm and were about 20th on line. At 1pm they let us inside to the inside line downstairs. About 1:25pm or so they let us go upstairs to check in. Around 1:30 we were through security upstairs with bracelets in that seating area waiting to be called. Deep blue/sailing club called at 1:40pm or so first to board then romance package and a few other things I didn’t hear.

I was able to connect to ship wifi about 5 minutes after entering downstairs waiting area so around 1:15pm. Got everything booked while standing there on line. This was NOT the case in our Dec sailing where it didn’t kick in until you stepped into the ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Honestly, how does no one complain about these awful, horrible “beds”? Two pieces of foam couch!?!? That’s my “mattress”? Our last (first sailing) was in a suite and the bed was amazing. I’m wishing we had upgraded just so I wouldn’t have to sleep on a piece of couch foam for 5 nights. 

Trying to stay open minded but this may make this a “never again” for us. I can’t believe this isn’t a significant, chronic complaint!

Trying to settle in and omg, even the pillows suck! 😂 cruises are supposed to have the very best beds!!!

Edited by conandrob240
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, conandrob240 said:

Honestly, how does no one complain about these awful, horrible “beds”? Two pieces of foam couch!?!? That’s my “mattress”? Our last (first sailing) was in a suite and the bed was amazing. I’m wishing we had upgraded just so I wouldn’t have to sleep on a piece of couch foam for 5 nights. 

Trying to stay open minded but this may make this a “never again” for us. I can’t believe this isn’t a significant, chronic complaint!

Trying to settle in and omg, even the pillows suck! 😂 cruises are supposed to have the very best beds!!!

I commonly see recommendations to ask your stateroom steward for a mattress topper. The bed is a couch, and vice versa, by design.

46 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

I commonly see recommendations to ask your stateroom steward for a mattress topper. The bed is a couch, and vice versa, by design.

From what I understand, VV does not stock mattress toppers.  I have heard the stewards will put some extra comforters on top of the mattress, but frankly that's not the same thing.  

I do agree that the mattresses in the regular staterooms are plain awful.  I slept in my hammock several nights on my last cruise.  DH was not quite as uncomfortable and I was, but that isn't saying much.  However, I can also say that the mattresses in the Rockstar cabins are extremely comfortable.  For me that would be the biggest reason to upgrade (if it was in the budget).  

And I find the pillows on ALL cruise lines (and most hotels) awful.  I am not sure who likes the pillows that squash down to nothing, but it sure isn't me.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

It’s awful. I expect much better on a cruise. I’m not a mattress topper person- too wiggly. There is no reason for this terribleness. At the very least, have amazing pillows.

incant believe in all the reviews, all the talk about this line, that this ain’t a huge complaint.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rebeccac said:

From what I understand, VV does not stock mattress toppers.  I have heard the stewards will put some extra comforters on top of the mattress, but frankly that's not the same thing.  

I do agree that the mattresses in the regular staterooms are plain awful.  I slept in my hammock several nights on my last cruise.  DH was not quite as uncomfortable and I was, but that isn't saying much.  However, I can also say that the mattresses in the Rockstar cabins are extremely comfortable.  For me that would be the biggest reason to upgrade (if it was in the budget).  

And I find the pillows on ALL cruise lines (and most hotels) awful.  I am not sure who likes the pillows that squash down to nothing, but it sure isn't me.  

I honestly had no idea these beds were soooooo far from the Rockstar beds or we would have grabbed that upgrade. It’s ridiculous. The pillows in the rock stair suites were “stealable” good! (I didn’t but wanted to). So comfortable!!!!!

Rhe food is as great as first cruise, we’ll have fun but the bed is a dealbreaker for me. I’ll never sail Virgin again because of the beds.

2 minutes ago, conandrob240 said:

I honestly had no idea these beds were soooooo far from the Rockstar beds or we would have grabbed that upgrade. It’s ridiculous. The pillows in the rock stair suites were “stealable” good! (I didn’t but wanted to). So comfortable!!!!!

We had a Rockstar suite on our first cruise due to the 200% FCC from the pandemic.  Our second cruise was in a regular cabin.  The differences in the mattresses are very stark.  They definitely need to do something for the regular cabins, because it is just terrible the way it is.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

What makes the mattresses in the regular cabins 'bad' for some people? I've bounced back and forth between balconies and suites quite a bit, and I guess the difference isn't registering for me. Are they too firm for some people or something? 

I know everyone likes something different in a mattress, but the ones in the regular cabins are way too hard and lumpy for my taste.  

Edited by rebeccac
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

What makes the mattresses in the regular cabins 'bad' for some people? I've bounced back and forth between balconies and suites quite a bit, and I guess the difference isn't registering for me. Are they too firm for some people or something? 

I have joint issues and there is no cushioning in the couch cushion. Even with two extra comforters on the bed and it was still hard. But to put it in perspective I cruised in an upgraded mini suite on Princess a year ago. It was supposed to have their wonderful, luxurious beds and bedding. It was worse then Virgins. By the second night I had the steward bring me lots of pillows and I slept on them. 

10 minutes ago, Wildcatllamas said:

I have joint issues and there is no cushioning in the couch cushion. Even with two extra comforters on the bed and it was still hard. But to put it in perspective I cruised in an upgraded mini suite on Princess a year ago. It was supposed to have their wonderful, luxurious beds and bedding. It was worse then Virgins. By the second night I had the steward bring me lots of pillows and I slept on them. 

Ah, I think I might be the opposite. When the craze was (and maybe still is?) for beds to have 12" of memory foam on top, I used to regularly wake up with my back out. 🙂 Maybe it was just too much of a good thing. 

• Like 3

Just now, AlyssaJames said:

Ah, I think I might be the opposite. When the craze was (and maybe still is?) for beds to have 12" of memory foam on top, I used to regularly wake up with my back out. 🙂 Maybe it was just too much of a good thing. 

Memory foam is good but in moderation and it can't be to soft. It should support and cushion. They use to denote it as in so many pounds. A 2 lb memory foam was super soft and a 5 lb was very firm. I don't know if they still do that. I was good with a 4 lb one.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, conandrob240 said:

Bummer 🤔  I guess I'll be ordering that mattress topper (delivered to my pre cruise hotel) and checking my bag on the flight for my pillow. A really bad night could mess up my entire cruise, and with only five nights, I don't want to take a chance. I'll give the mattress topper to my room attendant after I'm done, there are some very inexpensive ones that might save the day. Oceania has the best beds I have ever slept in, no problem settling in. I think that the sofa idea didn't really pan out as well as they had hoped, I wonder what percentage of people actually use them that way? Maybe they'll revisit in the future. I considered upgrading to a suite, but I didn’t know what I would do with all that alcohol, LOL 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

Bummer 🤔  I guess I'll be ordering that mattress topper (delivered to my pre cruise hotel) and checking my bag on the flight for my pillow. A really bad night could mess up my entire cruise, and with only five nights, I don't want to take a chance. I'll give the mattress topper to my room attendant after I'm done, there are some very inexpensive ones that might save the day. Oceania has the best beds I have ever slept in, no problem settling in. I think that the sofa idea didn't really pan out as well as they had hoped, I wonder what percentage of people actually use them that way? Maybe they'll revisit in the future. I considered upgrading to a suite, but I didn’t know what I would do with all that alcohol, LOL 

I've thought about having a topper delivered to my hotel as well. I'm taking a shuttle from Fort Lauderdale to Miami so if it isn't to bulky that will work. 

But I just found this one on Amazon and it's light enough and small enough to pack. https://www.amazon.com/ZOOOBELIVES-Inflatable-Comfortable-Backpacking-Lightweight/dp/B07RP81NJW/ref=sr_1_38?hvadid=417003790495&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9028980&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=667942160746347879&hvtargid=kwd-872012788770&hydadcr=6225_9590139&keywords=portable%2Bmattress%2Btopper%2Bfor%2Btravel&qid=1699286366&sr=8-38&th=1

• Like 1

Personally I don't find the VV beds to be any more or less comfortable than most hotel beds. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I like myself a firmer mattress, though, soft/pillow top beds inevitably ensure my body is just one huge knot upon wake up. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

The only purpose of the couch conversion, L configuration is when someone needs 2 beds in the room.  Getting a cheap mattress topper from amazon is great, either shipped to your pre-cruise hotel or in an "air removed" package in your luggage.  Offer it to your cabin host when you leave if you don't want to drag it home.  We split the beds so we each have a bed.....but we aren't in the majority.  Scarlet will dry dock next year and many of us are hoping the beds will be changed out then.  Seriously, if they go to an "all queen bed" concept that cannot divide, we will no longer cruise the line.  We've already cut out one line after 30 sailings with them because their bed choices no longer fit our needs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scubagal44 said:

Personally I don't find the VV beds to be any more or less comfortable than most hotel beds. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I like myself a firmer mattress, though, soft/pillow top beds inevitably ensure my body is just one huge knot upon wake up. 

I agree I find them fine. But I think we prefer a firmer bed anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

It’s not even a mattress. It’s like sleeping on a couch. It’s couch pieces pushed together to make some sort of “mattress”. Look, I understand people

have different tastes in firmness but this isn’t that. This is the issue where it’s not even a mattress- it’s a couch that they then put some sheets on. Like you did in college when your buddy came for the weekend. Not acceptable for an adult paying $1000s for a cruise. I didn’t understand this. I thought somehow those couch pieces flipped over and underneath was an actual mattress. Stupid on my part I know. I didn’t realize I’d literally be sleeping on the couch. 

it’s also super gross to me too. I know this is probably my own weirdness but I don’t want to lay on something that people sit and do god knows what on that much of the time has no covering on it at least in theory a mattress is always covered.

fhis isn’t covered all day then the out a covering in it just to sleep. God knows what grossness is under there. 

5 hours ago, cantgetin said:

The only purpose of the couch conversion, L configuration is when someone needs 2 beds in the room.  Getting a cheap mattress topper from amazon is great, either shipped to your pre-cruise hotel or in an "air removed" package in your luggage.  Offer it to your cabin host when you leave if you don't want to drag it home.  We split the beds so we each have a bed.....but we aren't in the majority.  Scarlet will dry dock next year and many of us are hoping the beds will be changed out then.  Seriously, if they go to an "all queen bed" concept that cannot divide, we will no longer cruise the line.  We've already cut out one line after 30 sailings with them because their bed choices no longer fit our needs.

Opposite

I just pulled the Velcro back from the couch cushion. It’s about a 4” “mattress” under the blue covering on top of a 1” attached piece of wood frame. Then it sits on a platform. Feels like no coils, just foam. I honestly didn’t even know a mattress could be this thin. It’s Matermoll who should frankly be embarrassed to have put their name on this. 

I intend to resolve the issue the last 4 nights by increasing our wine intake to 2 bottles instead of 1 and adding 2-3 after dinner drinks. Should resolve the issue. Maybe that’s why they did it this way. I much prefer the dedicated bed with side couch that’s on every other line.

Edited by conandrob240
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, conandrob240 said:

it’s also super gross to me too. I know this is probably my own weirdness but I don’t want to lay on something that people sit and do god knows what on that much of the time has no covering on it at least in theory a mattress is always covered.

If it makes you feel any better, almost nobody bothers to have the bed converted to a couch during the day.  However, I absolutely agree with you that the "mattresses" need to change.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, conandrob240 said:

I just pulled the Velcro back from the couch cushion. It’s about a 4” “mattress” under the blue covering on top of a 1” attached piece of wood frame. Then it sits on a platform. Feels like no coils, just foam. I honestly didn’t even know a mattress could be this thin. It’s Matermoll who should frankly be embarrassed to have put their name on this. 

Thanks for the heads up, the mattress comfort is important to me 😴 I'm not a kid anymore, and all those little insults to your body add up, LOL, plus, I have nerve damage on one side. Do you think that the mattresses could be placed one on top of the other? I'll be in my cabin solo, so was thinking that could be an option? Do you think a foam topper might make it worse?

34 minutes ago, TheDarkestBlue said:

Thanks for the heads up, the mattress comfort is important to me 😴 I'm not a kid anymore, and all those little insults to your body add up, LOL, plus, I have nerve damage on one side. Do you think that the mattresses could be placed one on top of the other? I'll be in my cabin solo, so was thinking that could be an option? Do you think a foam topper might make it worse?

In my opinion, toppers always make it worse. They make it jiggly and too soft. It always slides around a bit. I’m not a fan of any kind of topper. No to on top of each other. Each has an attached  wooden frame around the side and bottom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1