Teen to Antarctica

Xerxella

We asked each kid if they could go anywhere in the world where would they go?  Our 14 year old daughter picked Antarctica.  We researched and picked Silverseas Silver Wind in February.  Just mom, dad and daughter.  She's very well traveled and knows this is an educational experience, not a party experience.  

Has anyone else taken a teenager and have any learning points to share? 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We’ve traveled all over the world, many remote and adventurous destinations with our teen and YA daughters and even took our niece on safari in Africa as a teen. 
If she asked for this, that shows a high degree of interest in the region and the wildlife there. That motivation already self selects for a great experience for her. Here’s my advice ! 

1 - set expectations about wildlife, and that their experience may not look like the documentaries she’s seen. Animals will be further away than they look in zoomed videos and photos. Documentarians spend weeks not hours in an area and you may not see all the behaviors or even any animals at all! 

2- to better appreciate the wildlife, have her practice with binoculars and her camera  before she leaves in her back yard. Get comfy with them so she’ll be very familiar when the encounter happens! 

3- set expectations about connecting with the environment and putting aside distractions. Our teens decided to put the iPods they brought for the plane ride, away in the safe so not to miss any of the environment they’d traveled so far to see! I would imagine she knows there might not be internet and she’ll be disconnecting from home in order to connect with environment. 

4- discuss clothing and fashion, that Antarctica is about warmth and not fashion. I gave a talk to a group of GS going to Belize about what to wear, and we passed around an ice cube with everyone wearing a cotton sock on one hand, and a wool sock on the other. The point was made very quickly! 

5- set expectations that the other passengers will probably be older than her, and not to be too biased about age, people are people are people at any age. Focus on what you have in common!  And she might notice theg might have their own biases about teens. Tell her to cheerfully ignore that and try to connect with the folks who love to talk to young people. You will find many in your travels! 

6 it says it in every expedition pretrip document I’ve ever recived! It’s an expedition trip, things will change, even quickly, and it’s important to defer and respect the decisions of the guides and crew who are putting safety as 

job one! Once in Africa our guides suddenly started rushing everyone back to the boat in the Zambezi after we’d just arrived for drinks and snacks. My family immediately followed directions and only realized after we returned to the skiff that a herd of elephants was headed into the “camp” to steal the snacks and it was imperative to move quickly to safety!  
Every person, young or old might hit a wall, or have a hard day and everyone on the expedition is a team, remaining positive and respectful while also expecting change is critical and a hard skill for many adult never mind a hormonal 14 yo! But it’s possible for everyone in the expedition to support each other and make the voyage spectacular!  

this is an amazing gift to give your child! It literally changed the life of our neice who went into Stanford to get a PhD in immunology based on her continuing interest in African health systems. It’s a beautiful thing tk be able to nurture her interests! 

• Like 2

There is a thread on the Seabourn board by a cruiser who just sailed to Antarctica with his 16 year old son and son's friend.

Your daughter might not go out to see wildlife while wearing her shorts and sandals though. 🥸

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2974972-live-from-the-venture-headed-back-to-antarctica/?do=getNewComment

• Haha 1

While my boys didn't go to Antartica on Silversea when they were teens, they went a bunch of other places and would have had a blast in Antartica.  It just depends on the teenager though.  They need to be able to talk to adults and enjoy adult food, not have to talk to their friends every hour or be addicted to tic tok. 

Thanks!  Some great advice.  We took both kids (13&15 at the time) on a safari in South Africa last year.  It was twice a day game drives with no internet and they did great.  Thanks for reminding me of that. 

I think the hardest thing will be what you mentioned in #5, that some people have an automatic dislike for teens/ all children. She lives visiting my dad's retirement community and goes in with the American expectation that "surely everyone will like me". Most people are more than happy to tell their stories to fresh ears, so it's easy to avoid those that don't.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Xerxella said:

Thanks!  Some great advice.  We took both kids (13&15 at the time) on a safari in South Africa last year.  It was twice a day game drives with no internet and they did great.  Thanks for reminding me of that. 

I think the hardest thing will be what you mentioned in #5, that some people have an automatic dislike for teens/ all children. She lives visiting my dad's retirement community and goes in with the American expectation that "surely everyone will like me". Most people are more than happy to tell their stories to fresh ears, so it's easy to avoid those that don't.  

Yes! It’s important if they are being respectful that teens are reminded that it’s not about them if someone won’t give them a chance! (Of any age!) Sometimes we “old heads” forget what it was like to be a teenager!🤣 I enjoy kids of all ages, and they have a lot to teach us if we listen and they can help keep us young! 🥰

Hope you have a great trip! 

• Like 1