My first Cruise and need your Help?

bluecrush

Ok im going on my first crusie to Norway in may. And what sort of things do i need to take on a crusie is it just like the normal things you would pack ina suitcase. I live in jeans but guess you cant wear them tothe dinner table. Thats why i really need you help?:)

I've never been on a cruise to Norway. What cruise line are you going on? Some lines, like Carnival, are more relaxed. I research the place I'm going to to see what kind of clothes I'll need on the land. I wouldn't take the same clothes with me to Alaska that I would to Bermuda. What time of year are you going? You might have better luck with the messages on this site that are specific for the cruiseline you are on.

ou might also want to go to Ports of Call on the Board and check there. While it's true that jeans are frowned upon in the dining rooms, there are other alternatives, like the buffet and room service. That way you don't have to dress up every night. You can also go to Weather.com and get information about weather and don't under-estimate a good travel book. You don't have to buy one, go to the library and check out their travel section. While some of the books might be dated, I can't imagine the weather changing that much from one year to the next.

Hope that helps a little.

Charlie

I've been to Norway four times on cruises, so maybe I can help. In May, it can be quite chilly, so you'll need to think layers. Jeans are fine during the day, and you will want long sleeve tops and maybe a jacket if it gets real chilly. But, mother nature could throw you a curve and it might be quite warm, so you'll need things like shorts and t-shirts for the day.

You didn't say which cruise line you're on, and that makes a difference. Some cruise lines are VERY dressy at night which means tuxes, long gowns and things like that. You also didn't tell us if you're male or female, so I'll give you the picture for both. For men: tux or dark suit for formal night, dress slacks, dress shirt and sport coat for informal/semi formal nights, and docker's or khaki slacks and a collard shirt for casual nights. For women: long dress/gown, evening pants and very dressy top or a dinner suit for formal nights, nice dress or dressy pantsuit for informal/semi formal nights and sundress, capri pants or slacks and a nice top or sweater for casual nights. No jeans, shorts or sloppy tank tops are allowed in the dining room on any cruise line for dinner.

My first cruise was to the Bahamas and I remember it like yesterday:rolleyes: . My second was last year as well and a transatlantic. I took a variety of clothes and as kitty9 said, "think layers". I took some pullover sweatshirts as well as shorts and t-shirts. Jeans were fine during the day and while in ports. For the dining room you can wear some type of khaki pants with a dress shirt/or polo and not feel out of place. On formal night some type of dark pants and a dress shirt w/tie for males and a nice dress/or pant suit for females. Wear what makes you feel comfortable. I also have a homepage/webpage with all kinds of information on it. I started it for my current roll call thread but, have lots of information there about cruising. There is a link there "Thinking about taking a cruise?" that will have a lot of information on how I book and plan for any trip:confused: . If you get a chance check it out(link is in my signature).

I hope you have a great time on your cruise! Enjoy yourself, as they end way to quickly:( . You'll be booking another before you know it:D !

Andros/Tony

I would expect it to be chilly in the evenings. Depending on where you are from, you may find it to be downright cold. You could check weather.com and see what the average temperatures are for different points at that time of the year.

I have been to Norway in late June, and it was beautiful during the day - sunny and very warm. It cools off when the sun goes down, especially if you are around the mountains.

You'll want to have decent walking shoes that are comfortable, plus a dressy pair of shoes to wear for nice dinners, and everything that everyone said about layers is dead on. I'd take everything from tank tops and shorts to jeans and a sweater. I would also add a wind breaker to the list.

Archived