StarLink on WindSurf

Misty Morning

• 3 weeks later...

Just off of Wind Surf yesterday.  

There were three packages available priced by the amount of data used - one for very limited access (mainly email), the second package slightly more robust  to include posting pictures etc., and an unlimited package.  Speed did not seem to be an issue (not 'lightning fast', but adequate).

However, they do block access to some sites.  Facebook is not blocked, not sure about Zoom and no streaming.  DH purchased the unlimited package because his work requires him to monitor several forums and then found out those sites were blocked.  As was DropBox and Google Docs.    

If you have specific sites that you need, ask before you purchase.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if anybody can confirm if StarLink has been added to Windsurf yet. Looking at sailing with her in March. Any comments on condition of the ship would be most welcome. I know there is a two step refurb starting next November 2024. Thank you and Happy New Year to all.

Starlink is on all, but Wind Spirit.  wind spirit is scheduled for its upgrade after it leaves French Polynesia.

The sites blocked are very random, the weirdest on that was blocked was home depot.  All syncing type apps like google drive and iCloud are blocked, and sites that are very similar like google docs.

I found all video chat was blocked.

I found the speed to be acceptable.   In generally they have it locked down high bandwidth applications  and only allow stuff for vacation type internet use, email, facebook, instagram, etc.  Connecting to work might be difficult (other than email)

I did find wifi calling works just fine.

On 12/30/2023 at 4:05 PM, Nearpost345 said:

I should have asked this earlier. Is Wavefinder technology available on Windsurf? I am particularly interested in keeping track of on board expenses from the tv in the suite, as opposed to having to ask reception for a printout every couple of days.

Thanks again

Nearpost345,

We are onboard the Surf currently and unlike the Star ships, the Surf does not have the onboard expenses on the TV.  The internet though is much better now with Starlink, aside from some sites that are not accessible as per previous posters. You can actually stream music which is not bad. 

• Like 1