MSC and outlet strips?

GomezAddams

I've done many cruises in the past, but only one prior MSC cruise. I've never had an issue taking a non-surge protected outlet strip onboard, but I'm hearing a lot of noise about all cruise lines banning these.

Anyone know for sure if MSC allows non surge protected outlet strips? I'm cruising on the Seashore if that matters.

I took a non-surge protected outlet that is supposedly “cruise approved” 🙂 that I got about a year or so ago on Amazon when I went on the Seaside in August. It wasn’t a problem at all. 

Edited by cgladin
Add ship name

13 hours ago, GomezAddams said:

I've done many cruises in the past, but only one prior MSC cruise. I've never had an issue taking a non-surge protected outlet strip onboard, but I'm hearing a lot of noise about all cruise lines banning these.

Anyone know for sure if MSC allows non surge protected outlet strips? I'm cruising on the Seashore if that matters.

We've never had a problem with our eight MSC cruises.

The surge protector draws more power and can cause fires in the electrical system.

21 minutes ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

And why is that? Seems like a cord with surge protection would be safer for the ship than one without it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

What about an extension cord that plugs into the wall on the ship at one end and has 2-3 outlets at the other end? Do you think that is allowed?

Yes.  That is what I bring for my CPAP machine.  Never a problem.

11 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

What about an extension cord that plugs into the wall on the ship at one end and has 2-3 outlets at the other end? Do you think that is allowed?

Just got back from MSC Euribia and used a 10ft extension for my cpap machine as well, no issue.

13 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

Yes as long as there is no surge protection or a way for the power to be cut off due to overload. 

Surge protectors are not allowed on cruise ships because they increase fire risk. The reason this danger exists is that a normal surge protector only breaks the circuit on the “live” electrical wire, whereas both the “live” and “neutral” wires carry current on a cruise ship.

• Like 1