Guarantee cabin

lardor

On 11/26/2023 at 11:51 AM, ldubs said:

I wonder if any cruise passenger has ever been "bumped" because of overbooking.  Reading all of the above, it seems highly unlikely.  

On 11/28/2023 at 3:45 PM, GeezerCouple said:

This is NOT "done at the terminal"!  WHY would they wait until then?  (They do not want angry - possibly screaming?? - pax at the dock who are being denied passage!)

This is done WELL IN ADVANCE, when everyone has time to consider, "Do I want the cruise we booked, or do we want this other cruise, at this great deal!??" 😉

It does happen at check-in. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-ship-overbooked-guests-left-behind/116935

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, slidemaster5 said:

Unfortunately, most Cruise lines probably have an "out clause" in the terms and conditions. Note the following from NCL:

10. Changes and cancellation by us

(2) Pre-departure cancellation: a. Occasionally, it may be necessary to cancel confirmed holiday arrangements. In the event we are prevented from performing your contracted holiday arrangements as a result of unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances (see clause 11) and we notify you of this as soon as reasonably possible, we have the right to terminate your contract. In this situation, we will refund all monies you have paid to us within the period prescribed by the legislation applicable at the relevant time from the effective date of cancellation (see clause 10(1)d) but will have no further or other liability to you including in respect of compensation or any costs or expenses you incur or have incurred as a result. We will of course endeavour to offer you alternative holiday arrangements where possible which you may choose to book (at the applicable price) in place of those cancelled.

Assuming NCL can make an argument that Clause 11 applies then the only remedy for the passenger is a refund.

Point taken. However in this case, I question that it could reasonably be described as unavoidable or extraordinary.

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

Yup, apparently it sure did.

Unbelievable, truly unbelievable that passengers weren't notified until the very last minute like this!

Quite obviously, I was unable to imagine this really happening like this!

The only exception I could ever comprehend is if there was a last minute maintenance problem that made the cabin/suite uninhabitable.

[We had to be relocated from a suite to a tiny balcony cabin for a couple of nights once because of a massive plumbing failure.  We weren't appropriately compensated in our minds, but the situation was an emergency and we were *happy* to be moved temporarily.  Our bigger complaint was how long it took for them to acknowledge the severity of the problem.  But that was SO different from being left at the dock!]

There have been enough really "bad" situations that seem to be mishandled by several cruiselines recently.  This may tip the scales for us about cruises vs. land trips.  There are obviously a few cruises that just cannot be done as land trips, but our remaining "cruise wish list" doesn't include much of that.  There are still plenty of land destinations that beckon...

It's just a shame that the cruise line powers-that-be can't figure out the right thing to do (or *one* of the possible right thingS to do).

GC

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Point taken. However in this case, I question that it could reasonably be described as unavoidable or extraordinary.

Agreed. I was curious from a legal standpoint so that is why I did a cursory review of NCL's T&C. I would expect the cruise line to rely on this argument. The cruise line has a 29-page terms and agreement contract to benefit themselves. The passenger can always file a civil suit for damages which means that the venue in my example could be Bermuda since NCL is a Bermuda entity. NCL probably will not disclose the "unavoidable event" until the discovery phase in the lawsuit. 

In no way am I defending the action taken that left 11 groups on the dock. As discussed above, they could have adopted the airline overbooked strategy and would have found volunteers.

I was recently on a Richmond, VA flight and Delta initially offered $200 compensation to be bumped. It eventually went to $1000 and then they had more than enough volunteers. A business model that treats its customers poorly will eventually destroy its goodwill.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, slidemaster5 said:

Unfortunately, most Cruise lines probably have an "out clause" in the terms and conditions. Note the following from NCL:

10. Changes and cancellation by us

(2) Pre-departure cancellation: a. Occasionally, it may be necessary to cancel confirmed holiday arrangements. In the event we are prevented from performing your contracted holiday arrangements as a result of unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances (see clause 11) and we notify you of this as soon as reasonably possible, we have the right to terminate your contract. In this situation, we will refund all monies you have paid to us within the period prescribed by the legislation applicable at the relevant time from the effective date of cancellation (see clause 10(1)d) but will have no further or other liability to you including in respect of compensation or any costs or expenses you incur or have incurred as a result. We will of course endeavour to offer you alternative holiday arrangements where possible which you may choose to book (at the applicable price) in place of those cancelled.

Assuming NCL can make an argument that Clause 11 applies then the only remedy for the passenger is a refund.

It is not “probably have an out clause”

It is for sure that all cruise lines have many “out clauses” in the legally binding passenger contract that goes into effect the moment you pay for your cruise or board the ship.

The cruise lines can legally do just about anything they want to with your bookings, but they are also very cognizant that the vast majority of cruisers are blissfully unaware of the passenger contract. How many experienced cruisers have ever read the passenger contract from start to finish?

I will bet that the number is close to zero.

The cruise lines are very aware that the average cruise passenger just is not interested in reading a document that can make or break your cruise.

18 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

It is not “probably have an out clause”

It is for sure that all cruise lines have many “out clauses” in the legally binding passenger contract that goes into effect the moment you pay for your cruise or board the ship.

The cruise lines can legally do just about anything they want to with your bookings, but they are also very cognizant that the vast majority of cruisers are blissfully unaware of the passenger contract. How many experienced cruisers have ever read the passenger contract from start to finish?

I will bet that the number is close to zero.

The cruise lines are very aware that the average cruise passenger just is not interested in reading a document that can make or break your cruise.

I'm probably a bit pedantic, but I always read the T&Cs even if it is a cruise line with whom I sail regularly (things, including contracts change over time). I haven't had to go head to head so far, but I want to be prepared if the occasion arises. Comes of spending most of my working life within the parameters of Government legislation, I guess.

Thanks to all that have chimed in, I just found out that the bow cabin that they gave me has been changed to an aft cabin AND THE BEST PART is I will keep the same cabin for both cruises!

Thanks again to everyone that "calmed" me....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good news lardor. Based on your location I should say "Bear Down".

To close the loop on the story I heard that now after the outcry the passengers got a full refund, 100% FCC and a drinks package for their next RCI cruise. Good ole corporate strategy of ready-fire-aim.

• Like 1