Are The Grills Better Really?

MollyBrown

OK, I'm sick of hearing Brittania referred to as "steerage", and quite frankly I feel as though the implication is that Brittania is an inferior way to travel, as though we were traveling in Coach class on an airplane.

I fly in Business or First, not Coach, but on QM2, for a single paying double per cabin, I'd have to shell out many thousands of dollars per cabin to travel in the Grills. I think $5000. each way every year is enough.

We never felt we were "steerage" in Caronia on QE2. There were always some very distinguished people in Caronia.

The almighty dollar does not = class, except in the good old USA, or so it is apparently believed by many in the US these days.

If the Grills on QM2 are truly worth it, I'd like to hear why.

Well, I may be moving to Europe anyway, so I can travel on QE2 again, and not worry about "Princessified" QM2 anymore, and all that goes with it...

Well to calm you down, I agree with the spirit of what you said for the most part. There does seem to be this snubbing but I think the Britannia itself is a fine looking dining room and is certainly the most spectacular one built for the masses I have ever seen pics of. Thus I just tend to tune negative comments out for the most part.

I think where the Grill passengers are coming from is that they have paid their dues, are able to upgrade themselves to the higher level and like the quiet solitude of a smaller room. I think if you did the masses a lot you might want to move away into something more intimate. I don't believe all Grill passengers look down at the Britannia though.

No I have never done the Grill nor have I done Cunard before although my first trip is coming up in December. I'm sticking with Britannia simply because I cannot justify the higher price for myself and my other half for the Grill accomodations and love what I have seen regarding the pics of this grand dining room anyway. In fact, I was kind of shocked to see the grill menus offering the same as the Brittania. Where the difference is I believe is that a Grill passenger has more choices for making special requests. In the end, however, I am not jealous/envious of the Grill passengers either. If you want or can afford it then why not?

Lastly, I totally agree that dollars do not equal class. I've seen class and the lack thereof on both sides of the income hierarchy.

In the end, however, I am not jealous/envious of the Grill passengers either. If you want or can afford it then why not?

Lastly, I totally agree that dollars do not equal class. I've seen class and the lack thereof on both sides of the income hierarchy.

It's not that I can't afford the Grills, I can, but I'm not one to throw money away unless I think it's worth it. It's not jealousy, because that would imply I want to travel in the Grills, but can't afford it. I'm also not sure who I'd meet in the Grills, as there are fewer people, of course.

I get the impression the demographics on QM2 are completely different than they were on the QE2 Transatlantic, at least before her final sailings. That is, I don't think the same kinds of people travel in the Grills on QM2 as on QE2. As for Brittania, well, everyone's calling it steerage now, so one can do the math.

It seems that QM2 has become a mass market ship, and no longer has the same kind of cachet QE2 had. Here comes another Princess liner for you...

Gee.... I think some folks take the "steerage" term way too seriously. The bulk of the people that use are referring to themselves, all in jest. Just a phrase - not some kind of negative statement.

By the way, I suspect that many of the folks that eat in the Grills are there more because they wanted to book the suites than specifically wanting the Grill for dinner, though they may like eating there.

Having traveled both Britannia and Princess Grill, I can say without question that the service in the PG restaurant is far better than it is in the Britannia. There is no waiting on long lines to simply get in (happened to me several times in Britannia), there is no feeling rushed because the next seating is coming (or, in the second seating, the waiters want to call it a day), there is no disappearing waitstaff. In PG, the dining experience was refined and couth, three meals a day, and the waitstaff was accommodating to a fault, unpretentious, warm, and friendly. Also, the cabins in the Grill classes are much bigger. I never sensed in any way that Princess Grill passengers or staff "looked down" on Britannia passengers.

My best shipboard experience ever was on the one-class Caronia, which Cunard divested itself of a few years back. Princess Grill is the closest I've come to replicating the wonderful food and service aboard that ship.

Still, if I was traveling alone, I'd probably opt for Britannia. The cabin size wouldn't be as much of an issue (my wife and I were tripping over one another in our Britannia cabin). Also, I think the set mealtime is more conducive to meeting people than is the more open dining times in the Grills.

I speak only for the QE2......

I cannot say whether the food is better than the rest of the ship. I have had one meal on board that was not in the Queens Grill, and that was in the Britannia Grill when the ship was in New York, and as it was almost empty and we were so pleased to be back on board out of the horror that is New York I think even the Lido would have been a haven of peace.

But the things that would be a bar to "steerage" (Mauritania/Britannia) are basic things.

We don't like to be told when to eat, or to eat speedily to meet a deadline. So the 7-9 window is essential for a relaxed holiday.

The service in the Queens Grill is superb. As is the food. And we like the fact that if there is nothing on the menu that appeals, we can order off menu without appearing fussy or needy.

We like a balcony. Especially when leaving port - it is so much more peaceful than being on deck.

We like the peace and quiet of the Signal Deck.

We spend a fair time in our cabin. So it is nice to have the bigger cabin.

Many people will disagree. Indeed if you are one of those who only enter the cabin to sleep then spending money on it is not a priority. Ultimately you make your own choice against your own priorities.

I quite agree that class isn't measured in terms of wealth.

And I think most, if not all, refer to "steerage" rather tongue in cheek!

(We're spending a couple of nights on Arcadia next month, so will have some experience of eating when we are told!)

Molly:

I echo the previous poster, and point out the following as well, in terms of my own prefernce for The Queens Grill:

Service is exponentially superior.

The room is smaller than Britania; many people prefer a smaller dining room to a larger one.

The a la carte menu provides a much greater range of choices at every meal

Table side preparation is a fast vanishing old world tradition, which is also culinairily preferable for many foods, and is widely avialable in the Queen's Grill.

The quality of many cuts of meat and almost all seafood is superior

The knowledge and sophistication of wine stewards leaves nothing to be desired

State rooms are larger, with more luxurious amenities, like teak, not plastic, deck chiars on balconies.

Any experienced traveller knows that cost does not equal value; only vulgarians think otherwise. There are, of course, vulgarians everywhere, but I stopped noticing them years ago. You should try to do the same.

By the way, I suspect that many of the folks that eat in the Grills are there more because they wanted to book the suites than specifically wanting the Grill for dinner, though they may like eating there.

It was not so much the restaurant rather having that table the entire time. Some really do prefer having an exclusive table at all three meals, whereby you really get to know the wait staff, who do cater to all your whims. On QE2 one can get this with Caronia Class and need not book a suite. Also on QE2 the Queens Room is less desirable for afternoon tea than the Queens Grill Lounge, while on QM2 I actually preferred the Queens Room to the QGL.

We actually found the service in the Princess Grill from the wait staff to be nothing to rave about, the Asst and Maitre d' hotel were fabulous though.

OK, I'm sick of hearing Brittania referred to as "steerage", and quite frankly I feel as though the implication is that Brittania is an inferior way to travel, as though we were traveling in Coach class on an airplane.

Molly,

Chill, honey! When I use the term "Steerage" I am MOCKING those who think their ...um, fish don't stink! I am making fun of the whole idea of a class system, which is both dead and archaic and yet alive and thriving at the same time! No one think there is actual steerage anymore. No one is down there next to the rudder!

And for what it's worth, I ALWAYS fly tourist. I think it is ridiculous to pay for an airline seat enough money to get me a week's cruise for two! (or near 'bouts!) (Although I'm a little miffed that you turned up your nose at those of us in tourist class <sniff!> As though we were somehow less... valid!)

<G> (<<<<----NOTICE!, PLEASE!)

Anyway, I think I would rather eat in the Brittania. There was a time that non grill passengers on Cunard ate quite well, and had marvelous service! I almost think the grills might give me TOO much choice. They'd have to cut the doors wider to get me out! Yes, I'd like better service. a slightly better grade of food (although it is hard to imagine better than what we already get in the Brittania) I think the grills (at least from outside) look a bit bland and drab. And it seems like a lot less fun. Just my opinion, of course, I'm not big on Northern Italian foods for instance, others would give their left arm for it! I DO like caviar; some detest it! All a matter of one's personal taste, and not subject to argument or judgement IMHO!

Oh yes, And some of the grill rooms are no bigger than some of the Brittania rooms. The Junior suite, I think are the same size, aren''t they? I could be wrong, They just didnt seem different. I supposed I should look it up. And IMHO, NOT worth the extreme difference in price. A rip-off if you ask me. I've stayed in a Deluxe Verandah Suite on HAL that was incredible, and MUCH better value- with the new beds/linenes (duvet) pillows, etc, plus the club class, and concierge and all... Plenty of champagne, caviar, and so on.

Just my opinin. I think the Queens overrate themselves when it comes to the suites, but I understand they fill ALWAYS, and by people who don't think twice about it. If you have that kind of money, then spend it how you like! I will not struggle to have those digs (and the grill) for a week. The difference could buy me a lot of first class nights out, or a whole 'nother cruise!

Karie, Who will be happy to take a hand at the rudder and wheel, if they REALLY need me, down in steerage! (and proud of it!)

Oh, yes, and I won't even wear jeans while steering!

Oh Karie, you're posts are always such a thrill to read. Its so refreshing to see someone with the sense of the way it really is in the world. I always know your steerage comments are in jest but unfortunately some others out there constantly pound the use of that word into the ground (also theme park, Carnival, Victoria not a liner, etc). Heck you think after this thread that things would quiet down but oh no...........just look what else is being posted tonight. So we just have to make sure Molly doesn't get sucked up into that Cunard black hole of negativity that seems to be out there.

I'll happily be a Britannia passenger simply because I chose to be and I'm fine with that myself. I should have enough fine clothes such that I won't look like a beggar. I have a good job so the cruise is almost all paid off. I don't believe there will be gasps of shock when I step onboard. Its not like I'm immigrating to the new world. I'm sure I'll meet some interesting new people when I travel like I always do. Besides if one is to learn anything from The Poseidon Adventure, you want to be at the bottom of the ship. Its the fastest escape route should you turn upside down!:)

Bram,

Thanks for making me smile. You will be carrying those non-rented duds in your hardy cardboard suitcase, I hope, held together with good sturdy rope!

I sahll be carrying Fifi onboard while wearing my ridiculously large brimmed pink chapeau and the oversized chic sunglasses to hide myself from the prying eyes of my adoring public, while Jeeves struggles with my many hatboxes, purses, glove cases, and of course, my jewel case!

NOT!

Karie,

who proudly wears non-designer clothes. I've got a FABULOUS dress I once bought at a thrift shop (Which called itself an antique store!- it was a window model dress, never worn, with slight variations in color due to bleaching from the sun. I'd wear it now if it still fit! It was a thirties era crepe and lace dress with marvelous peplum overlay!

I fly in Business or First, not Coach, but on QM2, for a single paying double per cabin, I'd have to shell out many thousands of dollars per cabin to travel in the Grills. I think $5000. each way every year is enough.

We never felt we were "steerage" in Caronia on QE2. There were always some very distinguished people in Caronia.

The almighty dollar does not = class, except in the good old USA, or so it is apparently believed by many in the US these days.

If the Grills on QM2 are truly worth it, I'd like to hear why.

Well, I may be moving to Europe anyway, so I can travel on QE2 again, and not worry about "Princessified" QM2 anymore, and all that goes with it...

In additon to all the wonderfull things that can be said about the griill categorys IT IS ALWAYS NICER TO DINE WITH 100 people rather then 1000 people. well worth the xtra cost for many reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi!

One of the most disappointing things about QM2 is the lack of a CARONIA grade dining room such as exisits on QE2...Does anyone know why? CARONIA had the advantage of single seating but without the greater expenses of Grill cabins.

Patrick in Baltimore

And for what it's worth, I ALWAYS fly tourist. I think it is ridiculous to pay for an airline seat enough money to get me a week's cruise for two! (or near 'bouts!) (Although I'm a little miffed that you turned up your nose at those of us in tourist class <sniff!> As though we were somehow less... valid!)

I used to fly tourist class when it was flying was still semi-civilized, but now it has become completely insane. Also, I'm somewhat claustrophobic, and being squashed in the way one is in tourist class just isn't worth the cheaper seat, in my case. Since I choose not to fly often anyway, I'd rather shell out a little extra when I do. In that case, for me it's worth it.

In additon to all the wonderfull things that can be said about the griill categorys IT IS ALWAYS NICER TO DINE WITH 100 people rather then 1000 people. well worth the xtra cost for many reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

As a solo traveler, I like the large number of people in Brittania. If I'm not comfortable at one table, I have more options should I choose to change tables (although, I've never had to change tables for that reason---I've been lucky---only to change seating time, as Cunard has, a couple of times, not given me the seating I asked for).

Going solo I prefer Britannia since it opens up my opportunity to change tables if the need arises.

If I'm seated on the lower level (Deck 2) I generally enter from Deck 3 and come down the staircase. It always makes me feel more elegant especially in formal clothes.

In additon to all the wonderfull things that can be said about the griill categorys IT IS ALWAYS NICER TO DINE WITH 100 people rather then 1000 people. well worth the xtra cost for many reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

As a solo traveler, I like the large number of people in Brittania. If I'm not comfortable at one table, I have more options should I choose to change tables (although, I've never had to change tables for that reason---I've been lucky---only to change seating time, as Cunard has, a couple of times, not given me the seating I asked for).

you can change tables in the grills!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to fly tourist class when it was flying was still semi-civilized, but now it has become completely insane. Also, I'm somewhat claustrophobic, and being squashed in the way one is in tourist class just isn't worth the cheaper seat, in my case. Since I choose not to fly often anyway, I'd rather shell out a little extra when I do. In that case, for me it's worth it.

an important part of any vacation is getting there and returning in style and comfort.We always fly continental first or business class ifl at all possible.

To me these discount airlines and some others are like the cock-roach express

we would rather travel in style and comfort and travel less often if necessary!!

Also on QE2 the Queens Room is less desirable for afternoon tea than the Queens Grill Lounge, while on QM2 I actually preferred the Queens Room to the QGL.

Funny that. We really don't like the Queens Grill Lounge for tea! We'd much rather have it in the Queen's Room. This is QE2 of course.

But in fact we tend to have tea upstairs in our cabin. It is best on a lovely day when you can have it on the balcony....

Funny that. We really don't like the Queens Grill Lounge for tea! We'd much rather have it in the Queen's Room. This is QE2 of course.

But in fact we tend to have tea upstairs in our cabin. It is best on a lovely day when you can have it on the balcony....

A Balcony on QE2? Those are lovely. I only wish I could afford one of those double decker suites. Have only been in P cat and first class on deck 3 when it was a two cat ship in the 70's.

Have always found Queens room on QE2 quite crowded and usually am not able to find a seat. In QGL they took such nice care of us, even when we arrived at 4:57 for Afternoon Tea.

Hi!

One of the most disappointing things about QM2 is the lack of a CARONIA grade dining room such as exisits on QE2...Does anyone know why? CARONIA had the advantage of single seating but without the greater expenses of Grill cabins.

Patrick in Baltimore

This has been a big dissapointment to those of us who cannot always afford suites but prefer single seating dining. Have not been able to get an answer to that question.

travel-to-go,

the princess grill suites are one and a half times the size of brittania cabins. 381 sq. ft. with walkin closet, large marble bath and more open space. also the balcony is much larger.

Okay, anyone want to "gift" me with the extra money to do the P junior suites on the 2 Sep 4 day trip? <G>

Karie, Who doesn't think anyone will take he up on that offer!<LOL>

MollyBrown:

I've never sailed on the QM2 but, we are scheduled for transatlantic in July. We debated between Princess Grill and Britannia, and finally had our minds made up for us by lack of availability in the former. I'm now happy with the result.

Using your flying analogy, though, my thinking is that this is like the choice between flying Business or First Class. There are differences, for sure, but it's a choice between very very nice and superior. When we travel overseas, we always go for Business but have never opted for First class, not because we couldn't afford it, but because it seemed like an over the top expense to us, and the seat, food, service, inflight entertainment were more than adequate in Business. Looking at the Britannia and Grills that way, Britannia should surely be a fantastic experience, while Grill would be even better.

I think either way you go, you win - either you get a great sailing with a bit of cash to spare or you pay through the nose but get a first class experience.

A final thought: an upside to Britannia is that you are less likely to be disappointed by failure to meet high expectations ...

Archived