Back-to-Back: 1st cruise a specific room & 2nd cruise 'guarantee'?

Bill B

11 hours ago, Bill B said:

Does anyone have experience with booking Back-to-Backs when they had a specific room for the first cruise and a 'guarantee' on the second? If so, was anyone assigned the same room for both cruises?

Costa do embarkations / disembarkations at most ports on the cruise you are on. It is unlikely you will be assigned the same cabin as it may well be sold. Go to reception a couple of days before your first cruise ends and ask them if you have to move or not. 

B2B in the same cabin is generally possible (I did it), but I am not sure, whether it works in this combination. The cabin category must be the same and has to be booked within the same tariff - and guaranteed cabins are often slightly cheaper than chosen ones. Quite obviously the cabin needs to be free during the second cruise and of course the cruises have to be linked, otherwise everybody expects you leaving the ship. Be aware of the fact that if you have to change cabin you also need to leave the cabin at 8:00 for cleaning and it‘s quite likely that your new cabin won‘t be ready.

The earlier you contact the customers service of Costa the better the chances getting the same cabin are. Guaranteed cabins are assigned at least a couple of weeks before the cruise starts, you will see it in My Costa and they are part of the cruise ticket - this you generate during check-in two weeks before the cruise starts. Generally Costa will make staying in the same cabin possible, but it could be that you need to take another cabin, which is free all the time. And I could imagine that you need to pay the price difference for the second cruise, if the price for choosing a cabin isn‘t the same as for a guaranteed cabin.

If you stay in the same cabin contact the reception to remind that you will stay in your cabin, just to check that everybody gets informed. No need to make a cabin steward panicking that a cabin is not emptied, because his agenda tells him that new guests will arrive. I got someone visiting me at my dinner table asking, whether I would like to stay at my table or have different wishes. At the reception you can get the new cruise card on the morning the second cruise starts, but at least the old card has to be scanned for leave the ship and the new has to get scanned for entering. And a handy tip: don‘t register your credit card in the morning before boarding started, otherwise the system gets confused.