Need info on "Tours Plaza"

Paula B

We are planning on booking with Tours Plaza but, I have several questions. We are in port at 12pm and thinking about being picked up at 1pm because I figured that would give us plenty of time to get off the ship. I'm not sure if a 3 hour tour is enough or should we book 4. My husband can't do a lot of walking but, we thought maybe a city tour and would love to see the eastern side of the island and didn't know how much walking the ruins would require or if it would be worth adding it also. Should we have lunch on the tour or wait until we get back to town to eat and do some shopping since we are in port until 8pm?  Would live any recommendations from others.

37 minutes ago, Paula B said:

We are planning on booking with Tours Plaza but, I have several questions. We are in port at 12pm and thinking about being picked up at 1pm because I figured that would give us plenty of time to get off the ship. I'm not sure if a 3 hour tour is enough or should we book 4. My husband can't do a lot of walking but, we thought maybe a city tour and would love to see the eastern side of the island and didn't know how much walking the ruins would require or if it would be worth adding it also. Should we have lunch on the tour or wait until we get back to town to eat and do some shopping since we are in port until 8pm?  Would live any recommendations from others.

IF you are just riding round, 3 hours would give you a good general idea of the island. If you plan to include lunch or photo stops you will need at least 4.

Our very first tour with ToursPlaza, that converted me from really disliking Cozumel to getting to know the island outside of the main tourist area, we took about 5 hours but we included lunch, a ride round east coast and Punta Sur, (which is very time consuming but worthwhile and really deserves longer than our quick visit). You will never see everything Cozumel has to offer in one day but you can get a good general overview, with different activities and locations to add each time. The ruins are interesting but certainly not a “ must-do” first time activity IMO. The main area is very small and not a lot of  walking, but unimpressive compared to mainland. We enjoyed walking into the jungle to outlying buildings but very hot and you need water and bug spray - not recommended if you can’t walk far.

There are suggestions on the website. The best thing to do is discuss your interests with Eduardo to get an idea about timing. For me, where and when to eat would depend largely on which pier you are docking at. Lots of places to eat and shop after tour if you are docking at Langosta. I might be inclined to  take lunch or snack at a local restaurant or on the east side if docking at Puerta Maya or International. However with those port hours i might just eat brunch on ship before touring and maybe stop for a snack and drink.

For first time, I would probably stick to town and neighborhoods tour, new and old church, east side with wild beaches and blowholes maybe finish with drink at Sky reef (with chapel) or Money Bar. Depending on your interests and budget lots of add on opportunities- museum, chocolate factory, tequila tasting, mayan stops, bees, local food - too much to fit in one day and enjoy it. One caveat east side is not very pleasant if sargassum season - take local advice.

Don’t forget to take into account local time vs ship time, time of year, and time of sunset and going dark. One of my favorite things to do is drinks or dinner watching the sun set on the west side. You could possibly finish your tour at a restaurant and take an independent taxi back so as not to pay for waiting.

• 1 month later...

It depends on what you want to do. We booked 5 hours and wished we'd booked one more to see the lighthouse. Walking around the Mayan ruins is quite easy. 

We had the perfect day with jeorge! It was such a marvelous time on our private tour. Jeorge got us to the chocolate factory before the rest of the cruisers arrived. We had a private demonstration of how to make chocolate and got to make our own from scratch. 
We then went to the Mayan ruins, and George set us up with the best private tour guide. We were there for an hour. That was a lot of fun too. 
We then went to the opposite side of the island from where the cruise ships dock. Our restaurant for lunch was quiet and peaceful right next to the beach. 
We're not really "beach" people, but George took us to a place where there were only three other people. The water and beach were perfect. I found myself wishing I was a beach person, and we'd planned more time. 
It really was the perfect day. 

17 minutes ago, Calred Cruiser said:

We're not really "beach" people, but George took us to a place where there were only three other people. The water and beach were perfect. I found myself wishing I was a beach person, and we'd planned more time. 

Which restaurant did you go to? What time of year? I presume there was no sargassum.  We really enjoy the east side but sargassum can really ruin it if the smell is bad.

1 minute ago, Calred Cruiser said:

I looked it up - it's Punta Morena Beach Restaurant

Thanks that’s one of our favorites too. Nice beach and view relaxing away from the main bar area, although tourist prices on food and drinks. Glad you had a good day.

If there were only three people you must have missed the bar hop group!