Shore Things Sold Out - chances of booking on ship?

Ixtoras

Hello sailors,   We're new to VV, and have a cruise on the Valiant Lady booked in February to the SE Caribbean. We're 70 days out, but just realized that many (if not most) of the Shore Things on our sailing are sold out.   The app suggests checking back with the shore things team when on board.  I'm curious to know what everyone's experience has been with booking once on board?  I would assume that they probably don't hold back any spots for on board bookings, so we'd be hoping for cancellations.

I've been looking at 3rd party / local tour providers and will probably just book directly with some of them, but thought I'd ask what folks' experiences have been.   I'm usually ok planning a day of just getting off the ship and exploring and possibly using the tour providers in the port area, but its our first time on all of these islands and I'd feel more comfortable not rolling the dice and checking things out first.

Thanks!

• Like 1

It depends on whether the vendors working with VV can add additional transportation/guides/whatever as well as whether people cancel their advance reservations.  Can you book excursions while on board?  Sometimes.  However, if you can find reputable third party providers, I'd probably do that so you know you have what you want.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ixtoras said:

I've been looking at 3rd party / local tour providers and will probably just book directly with some of them, but thought I'd ask what folks' experiences have been.

I would consider booking whatever shore excursions you fancy from third-party providers.  

I've booked many many shore excursions using this website (cruisecritic).  Be sure to read the reviews/comments and only choose the 4 and 5-star rated tours.  Pay close attention to the comments and look for clues to problems.  If several reviews say: "the bus was late" for example, then look for other tour operators offering a similar tour.

I haven't had a bad experience in the past (having been on north of 50 cruises over the years).