Power and USB accessories required on QM2?

maggielou362

I am confused regarding power outlets and permitted powerboards/adapters etc on QM2.

Our equipment is Australian, so we are used to bringing a multi adapter when we travel overseas.

I also understand that there are no USB charging ports on QM2, so I know we will require those for phone, camera, E=reader, IPad etc.

(I KNOW, why so many devices??? Blame my husband!)

My confusion lies around what power accessories/adapters etc are permitted.

Surge protectors are not allowed, but what about accessories with circuit breaker/overload protection?

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't really understand which is which and I don't want to have it all confiscated and be without charging facilities for all the stuff.

Can someone who is a QM2 expert (that's ALL of you!) tell me what to bring?

many thanks

As you say, Cunard (and the world in general) tends not to provide a great deal of support for our somewhat unique Aus/NZ power needs.  Plug adapters are needed.

A typical QM2 Britannia cabin will have two UK plugs and two US plugs at the back of the desk.  There are two more US plugs to the left of the below photo, near the kettle.  QV and QE also offer a European plug, but QM2 does not. 

Power strips, particularly those containing circuit breakers/surge protection are not allowed, so we bring several adapters.  Per the Cunard FAQ:

image.thumb.png.5c3af5d8cd9272e5ea59ef6749c6daf2.png

image.thumb.png.ff8136e864b628313e970959c0880041.png

Edited by sfred
  • Thanks 1

Thank you sfred. So I should bring several simple USA/UK to Australia adaptors and then piggyback some USB adaptors onto those? Or should I just buy USA and/or UK plug-in USB chargers? Too many "U.."s!

Do they need to check the adaptors for safety?

Edited by maggielou362
correct spelling

We bought two plug adapters (adaptors?  I think you are right @maggielou362) for our last QE voyage at one of the local Australian tech retailers, one for a UK plug and one for a Europe plug.  They have two usb ports and an Australia socket.  These, plus a few standard simple plug adapters for the US, are enough for all our devices.  I've never been questioned about using  these when aboard.

20231204_191449.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1