Seashore 10-day 12/7-17: attempting a live-from!!

gotta cruise again

@KennyFla I did read the recent comments regarding YC service and was hoping our experience would be different…that any “new crew, new port, new everything” adjustments would be made. 

However, we both decided to simply enjoy our vacation and not have sky-high expectations. So it may be difficult to say for sure if things in YC have actually changed or if my/our attitude about this sailing is what has influenced my comments in this thread. 

Any particular concern you’d like my perspective on? If I have experienced it, then I’m happy to comment!

• Like 2

I like coffee! But I rarely drink what I call “foo-foo” coffee. So getting to have expresso, latte, cappuccino, etc. is a real treat for me. 

And having my coffee in a martini glass with extra special flavoring is really fun!!

So this AM in the lounge I asked for a vanilla caramel latte, extra hot, and it could be large—meaning the taller glass mug with a handle they've used before vs. a little coffee cup. 

It arrived and was beautiful; not as hot as I would have liked…but the container was quite unexpected!! It did work though, LOLIMG_8535.thumb.jpeg.85facc8c5246343f5c420fe2b7f2df6b.jpeg

I put the water bottle in the pic just so you could see the size of my “coffee cup” today!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

To update one of my previous posts regarding the WiFi: we have the package that comes with YC, no upgraded version. 

I’m still having no problems loading photos to this thread. 

After DH tries to use the laptop to join a monthly work meeting this afternoon, I’ll report if that was successful or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And here’s a lesson learned the hard way; reporting to y’all in hopes it keeps your feet out of trouble!!!

When unpacking the first day (though this could occur at any point in a cruise!) I had my sandals on, which have a bit of height (platform) under the toes…maybe 3/4-1”. 

Well, the closet doors don’t have much clearance under them when opened and when your back is closest to the bathroom and you open the closet door while holding a bunch of clothes-laden hangers that are pinching your fingers…

I was in a hurry to hang them and didn’t take care to notice where the metal corner of the door was in relation to the top of my foot…

OUCH!! I’ve had to keep a bandaid on the scrape as it is just enough of a scratch that other shoes could make it worse. 

Take it from me: be careful and don’t emulate my haste!!

• Thanks 1

Going through my photos and thoughts this AM, which is why so many posts in a row. 

Last night, went to the Madison theatre (large one on decks 6&7 forward) to see the magician. It was good but between my mono-vision + astigmatism + distance from the stage in YC section, it was probably much better for others than for me. There were a few tricks when he wrote things down or the audience was to see particular things and from the back (or just my eyes!!) those things couldn’t be seen. If you like magic shows, you might want sit closer (or bring your opera glasses!!)

After the show, we went back to the YC lounge. (The other night, I had enjoyed a Disaronno, no ice, which was served in a highball glass. This is how I figured it would be served; I had no particular glass preference.) Ordered another Disaronno and it arrived this way—love it as it felt like I was getting a big glass full!!

IMG_8534.thumb.jpeg.ee9e7e57e2d619e016bf756fda223472.jpeg

You do realize that I thought to take the photo of the cute little glass AFTER I had sipped it all—LOL. It was filled almost to the top too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2023 at 5:42 PM, coscab said:

If you happen to notice if there is a  library on board, could you please post. Really enjoying your review.

I (finally!) looked at the ship map on the app and also double checked with the concierge about a library. 

The map said “Sorry this location cannot be found” and the concierge said “not any more”. 

Alas, no library. I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, gotta cruise again said:

Going through my photos and thoughts this AM, which is why so many posts in a row. 

Last night, went to the Madison theatre (large one on decks 6&7 forward) to see the magician. It was good but between my mono-vision + astigmatism + distance from the stage in YC section, it was probably much better for others than for me. There were a few tricks when he wrote things down or the audience was to see particular things and from the back (or just my eyes!!) those things couldn’t be seen. If you like magic shows, you might want sit closer (or bring your opera glasses!!)

After the show, we went back to the YC lounge. (The other night, I had enjoyed a Disaronno, no ice, which was served in a highball glass. This is how I figured it would be served; I had no particular glass preference.) Ordered another Disaronno and it arrived this way—love it as it felt like I was getting a big glass full!!

IMG_8534.thumb.jpeg.ee9e7e57e2d619e016bf756fda223472.jpeg

You do realize that I thought to take the photo of the cute little glass AFTER I had sipped it all—LOL. It was filled almost to the top too. 

Thanks for the great review!  I am sailing Scape in May after 2 Shores and 2 Sides!  And a Divina.  Also I love your nails!!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

We just went wandering around a bit to see more of the ship. A sea day tomorrow so we (likely) won’t venture out then. 

Went down to deck 6 forward, where the entrance is to the lower level of the Madison theatre. 

Now, there was a dance lesson happening near the entrance but not in the theatre: that’s the music & instruction you’ll hear in the background of the video. 

I believe this is the port side entrance and I did the video to show that there are relatively quiet places to be found if one explores enough to find them!

I did walk rather quickly when making the video so it would be short. At the end, after the sofa, is the long hallway to the theater but I didn’t film there, as not anything to see in the hall. 

PS: 32.1 mb for the 18 second video did take a good bit of time to load (minutes!!) so I could attach to this post. Typing this while it loads; if it’s not attached, it’s because it took too long and I’ll add it later. 

• Thanks 1

Was sitting in the YC lounge with my back to the windows closer to the port side door to the outside. 

I’m looking toward the snack end of the bar when some workers exited a secret door!!

I wasn’t able to grab that pic and shortly after the cart was moved back into its home in front of the secret door. But if you look at the photo, you’ll detect the vertical line between the door panels. There is no apparent handle though I didn’t do an in-depth inspection or investigation!!

IMG_8536.thumb.jpeg.7f6d0aad7712f1d67d934315d4d5583e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our trek around the ship this morning, we finally found the MSC Foundation shop and the bottom of their special sculpture. 

There is seating there along with tiny, individual video screens where you can see/hear about the foundation. It was too noisy to hear it though. 

It was a stretch but I reached up and put my phone camera kinda into the sculpture and this is the view I got:

IMG_8538.thumb.jpeg.c74aae34b64b5d4601dccf4dfa6c7d89.jpeg

• Thanks 1

The same door (maybe a little room) exists on Seaside on the port side of TSL. There was a knocking coming from behind it one evening and the YC Director Maria Luca leapt into action to open the door and inspect whatever is behind there to make it stop knocking. It was funny to see how that little sound annoyed her. 😉

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, riredsox said:

Thanks for the great review!  I am sailing Scape in May after 2 Shores and 2 Sides!  And a Divina.  Also I love your nails!!

They are fun & a little crazy!! They stick on & if I’m careful, last about 2 weeks. Look up Mani Me (no, I don’t work for them & don’t get a commission-lol)IMG_8427.thumb.jpeg.212962998f5a63c201a33fe3bd1f652f.jpegIMG_8426.thumb.jpeg.ef1f4d41cec3d2b925e03550c6c1b7c0.jpeg

• Like 3

Our first night, there was air whistling from the balcony door. DH went and closed it again; I figured it had to do with some neighbor sleeping with their balcony door open. 

Wrong!! We looked more closely the next day and realized a forgotten latch on the door, pictured below. 

I’m thinking we need to cruise more often so we’ll quit making rookie mistakes!!

IMG_8539.thumb.jpeg.e8fce9ac96f280fce8509dfea4f83628.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gotta cruise again said:

I (finally!) looked at the ship map on the app and also double checked with the concierge about a library. 

The map said “Sorry this location cannot be found” and the concierge said “not any more”. 

Alas, no library. I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

Thank you so much for checking, will leave room in luggage for books.  Love this detailed review!

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, gotta cruise again said:

@KennyFla I did read the recent comments regarding YC service and was hoping our experience would be different…that any “new crew, new port, new everything” adjustments would be made. 

However, we both decided to simply enjoy our vacation and not have sky-high expectations. So it may be difficult to say for sure if things in YC have actually changed or if my/our attitude about this sailing is what has influenced my comments in this thread. 

Any particular concern you’d like my perspective on? If I have experienced it, then I’m happy to comment!

What is you general feeling of how things are going:   Positive or negative?

• Like 1

Here is a different YC dining room table decoration:

IMG_8546.thumb.jpeg.68c3250c1efb8039adef1fd8ca12d162.jpeg

The 2 photos of table decor I’ve posted have both been facing the wrong way. For example, this one had the background greenery facing me while the front side shown in the photo was facing DH. I have now straightened 2 table’s décor!! Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gotta cruise again said:

They are fun & a little crazy!! They stick on & if I’m careful, last about 2 weeks. Look up Mani Me (no, I don’t work for them & don’t get a commission-lol)IMG_8427.thumb.jpeg.212962998f5a63c201a33fe3bd1f652f.jpegIMG_8426.thumb.jpeg.ef1f4d41cec3d2b925e03550c6c1b7c0.jpeg

lol, I do the same thing.  The pandemic taught me how to wean off of acrylics and just glue them on and then soak off.  

• Like 1