Semi-Live from Eclipse, 12/7-23

asnaleah

So, we are now experiencing the dreaded “supply chain” problems. One week to go, and no blueberries or bananas. Also, the made for Celebrity Elegance Pinot Noir is no longer available. Raspberries have been gone since day 4. Maybe we will get more provisions in Equador. 

3 hours ago, asnaleah said:

So, we are now experiencing the dreaded “supply chain” problems. One week to go, and no blueberries or bananas. Also, the made for Celebrity Elegance Pinot Noir is no longer available. Raspberries have been gone since day 4. Maybe we will get more provisions in Equador. 

That’s unfortunate. I suspected it might happen on this cruise as well as the following one (which I will be on), since it’s a one-off route for repositioning, none of the ports are going to be great spots for getting provisions. 

The next one (which I will be on) I suppose is probably going to experience this even worse since most ports are tender and extremely remote and likely cannot resupply at all. 

We had a very nice tour in Manta, Ecuador today. Our guide was knowledgeable and I learned a lot about the country. We visited Montecristi and DH got a beautiful Panama hat. We also learned why they are called “Panama” hats. The workers building the Panama Canal needed relief from the sun, so hats were brought from Montecristi to Panama. We saw how they are made and it was very interesting.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 4:47 PM, asnaleah said:

I have decided I will no longer book a cabin without a separate shower. I am too short and not as young as I used to be. Climbing into the tub during rough seas is just not for me. I will try to sit downwind from others tonight 😂

In an emergency, you can put on your bathing suit and rinse off under the showers at the pool. 

Well, I think this cruise has met my expectations. The service from the crew has been outstanding with the slight exception of the room attendant. Just a few little details not quite up to par, but remedied as soon as we asked. Even destination services came through with a little prompting. The ship is comfortable but needs updating. But we knew this before sailing, so again, what we expected. The food has been mostly excellent, especially in Luminae where our service has continued to be stellar. The Spa is overpriced of course, but we have had some very good services, and they are offering good discounts. Very nice fitness equipment and some good classes. Since our cruise is not at capacity, there is no crowding at the pool, plenty of loungers for everyone both in the sun and shade. The production show, Rock, was well done. The comedian was a little cringey. There are lots of live music options, plenty of seating at the World Class Bar and Martini Bar. We don’t eat often at the buffet, but there are plenty of options. A disappointment has been Michael’s Club. It is just dead. The concierge, Chris, has been terrific, very helpful and efficient, but it’s just not a place to hang out which we have enjoyed in the past. I think the updated, revolutionized Retreat Lounge on S class ships is an improvement, with light food offerings throughout the day and beverage coolers.

• Thanks 1

Thoughts about Callao. If more than one ship is in port, be prepared to wait getting in or out of the port. Huge wait time to return and others waiting to leave were massively delayed. Our excursion was fine, very enjoyable, but the 1 1/2 hour wait to get into the port was inexcusable. I don’t intend to ask the destination desk for compensation. However, I may ask to be refunded for our tour tomorrow. Checking to see how many ships are in port tomorrow and then will likely ask the Retreat concierge for help. 

FYI, sea lions are hugely smelly!

4 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Huge wait time to return and others waiting to leave were massively delayed. Our excursion was fine, very enjoyable, but the 1 1/2 hour wait to get into the port was inexcusable. I don’t intend to ask the destination desk for compensation. However, I may ask to be refunded for our tour tomorrow.

Absolutely you should complain about it, and it'd be good if you got at least a token amount of compensation...

All of the cruise lines (including Celebrity) react to complaints. If you don't complain, they don't know it needs to be addressed. If there's some compensation, even a token amount, that means it's more likely for them to actually look at the issue.

Since there will be three cruise ships in port once again, we decided to cancel our tour for tomorrow. The Retreat concierge said we would only receive 50% refunded due to less than 24 hour cancellation. I plan to escalate because the port transportation conditions could not have been known by us 24 hours prior. Certainly not the fault of the tour operator, but not our fault either.

Now we do not even have strawberries…

Had a great tour from Pisco today - visited the Incan ruins at Tambo Colorado, very interesting. Almost sorry we didn’t take the flight to see the Nasco lines, but it was really pricey. Probably should have booked it during the Labor Day sale.

If anyone is flying from Santiago in the next week, be aware, the American Airlines lounge is not open. We booked a hotel room at the Hilton Garden Inn very near the airport because our flight is at 11:55 pm. They have a shuttle included in the price.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 4:21 PM, asnaleah said:

It's a problem generally on X that they do not load any supplies especially fresh supplies on longer cruises. This doesn't matter if cruising through the Caribean Islands or Europe or a one off cruise. Obviously it requires logistics and for smaller ships this is much easier but X just doesn't bother to do so and then you end up without any choice of fruite / very pool quality at some point into the cruise for instance

We’re back home, I had to make my own breakfast, but I did have fresh berries…

Overall, we had a good cruise. We needed the rest and pampering after a stressful remodel/move. This was our first repositioning cruise, and it was okay, but certainly the ports were nothing to write home about. Although I will be writing about the port of Lima! Yikes, what a cluster f.

We had generally excellent service with the exception of our room steward(s). Definitely no attention to detail. I think we would have been unhappy in a sky suite without a dedicated Butler. Eclipse really needs some updating, but I think it is scheduled. I mentioned earlier that we feel the Retreat Lounge is an upgrade from Michael’s Club. I don’t think the entire club would have to revolutionized to make some needed upgrades. There is plenty of space to add the continental breakfast, snacks and beverages, The grand piano was not used as there was no live music in the club.

This is the first time in many years we do not have another Celebrity cruise scheduled. We are sailing with Regent when there are a lot of ports, and trying Oceania for the first time when we just want a rest and sunshine.

A very merry Christmas and a happy New Year to all!

Erin

On 12/16/2023 at 5:27 PM, asnaleah said:

Had lunch in the buffet. The greens were a little sketchy, but the pizza chef made me a veggie pizza with gluten free crust. Tasty! And much appreciated.

Was the other gluten free food also good? Going on the Eclipse in July with 2 gluten free people.

We only ate at Oceanview and Luminae, but everything I had was very good. The toast for breakfast is a little weak, but there are pretty good GF muffins. I brought my own GF crackers and granola.