So upset with Oceania

pmatawan

Yes, I can see how you would be justifiably upset if you were told you would get it and then couldn’t. I would try to look at who told you that the service would be available to you. If you read it somewhere in promotional material and it didn’t have a footnote showing the exclusions then you have a legitimate claim. If someone told you the service was available and wasn’t aware of the exclusions then it’s their fault. I know many times I misunderstand things until I get all the details. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Yes, I can see how you would be justifiably upset if you were told you would get it and then couldn’t. I would try to look at who told you that the service would be available to you. If you read it somewhere in promotional material and it didn’t have a footnote showing the exclusions then you have a legitimate claim. If someone told you the service was available and wasn’t aware of the exclusions then it’s their fault. I know many times I misunderstand things until I get all the details. 

O’s blanket statements in its Ticket Contract and T&Cs clearly states that it has zero responsibility for the performance of its contracted services. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ORV said:

It is in Oceania's brochure, and I have gotten 2 emails saying the service is available.

6 hours ago, ORV said:

I brought this matter to Oceania attention back last year when I started this thread. They know full well that they promote a service that they sometimes can not deliver.  You would think they would adjust their marketing to indicate service is not available everywhere. They don't care.

• Like 2

So there are no qualifiers or Terms and Conditions pointing out any exclusions?

I’m not defending them, but many times these things are in the fine print and easy to miss. 

2 hours ago, ORV said:

So there are no qualifiers or Terms and Conditions pointing out any exclusions?

I’m not defending them, but many times these things are in the fine print and easy to miss. 

Read it and weep…

IMG_0813.thumb.jpeg.ee42413e7cb0af82708407cb284a37b7.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Read it and weep…

IMG_0813.thumb.jpeg.ee42413e7cb0af82708407cb284a37b7.jpeg

I knew the answer when I asked the question. The 3 affected parties were the ones I was asking.  

But what I would like to see is an invoice specifically saying Luggage Forward service provided to Miami and back from RIO or wherever their embark and debark ports are. Not a generic letter promoting the service as a come on, but an invoice showing it as a line item amenity. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORV said:

I knew the answer when I asked the question. The 3 affected parties were the ones I was asking.  

But what I would like to see is an invoice specifically saying Luggage Forward service provided to Miami and back from RIO or wherever their embark and debark ports are. Not a generic letter promoting the service as a come on, but an invoice showing it as a line item amenity. 

I don’t see us ever using Luggage Forward because it just adds another “can go wrong” element to a trip.

That said, I doubt you’ll ever find contract or invoice language that differentiates the specific contractor names. Once you mention one, you’d need to mention them all (though I’m not an attorney so what do I know).

FWIW, as a younger man, I had some significant involvement in the alpine ski industry including acceptance as an expert witness in ski school operations. One of the common lawsuits I saw involved “unmarked hazards” which often brought into question the legal wisdom of marking individual ones on a slope vs. just having a blanket “no liability” statement in the T&Cs.

Don’t ask me about the current situation. That was many “turns” ago. 😎

• Like 1

As my travel agent informed me prior to booking a cruise, if I board the ship at the originating port, the onboard amenities and services are provided for the duration of the stated cruise period, and even if the ship never leaves the dock then they have provided the "cruise". These were his words to alert me to the vagaries of cruise world events.

All the small and large print makes this clear. He may have been exaggerating a tiny bit but his message was clear. 

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

As my travel agent informed me prior to booking a cruise, if I board the ship at the originating port, the onboard amenities and services are provided for the duration of the stated cruise period, and even if the ship never leaves the dock then they have provided the "cruise". These were his words to alert me to the vagaries of cruise world events.

All the small and large print makes this clear. He may have been exaggerating a tiny bit but his message was clear. 

And his message was incorrect (if your cruise is one way). 
I’ve already showed one piece of the T&Cs. So, anyone wanting confirmation will have to also go check the fine print. 
All that O “guarantees” (e.g., provides compensation for) is basically the mechanical operation of the ship necessary to get you from the contracted start port to the contracted end port. 
For example, if O changes the start or end port, it is liable for reasonable expenses to transport you from the original port to the new port. If you booked your air via O, it’s simply a matter of changing your air tix (at their discretion) at no cost to you. As for DIYers, from personal experience, I can tell you that O will, at least, offer you coverage of incurred airline change fees (in our case, a max of $500). What happens when the changed tix cost more than $500? I hope never having to test that premise.