Problems with internet on Sapphire Princess

Boopsie

Just returned from the Sapphire Princess to Mexico. We were extremely frustrated over the fact that the internet was not working for the entire week. If we were able to get on, it would shut us out after a couple of minutes. We were still charged for the time that we spent trying to access it. My husband needed to be in contact with his office and found this to be a major problem. :( We were told the problem was with the ship rather than the area. Anyone else have problems?

We sailed this route on Sapphire in mid-February and also found the internet connection to be "spotty" at times. Not such a problem being platinum however and not having to pay for access. In speaking to several people though, my understanding is that satellite positioning and weather have quite an impact on internet access - not a Princess fault. This makes sense, as if it was indeed a controllable issue for the cruise line, it would certainly eliminate a lot grief for many who feel the ship is an extension of a hotel. As a technopeasant myself, I have to rely on the opinions of others who are more knowledgeable about such things.

From what I understand, if a person absolutely "must" have internet access at all times, perhaps cruising isn't the vacation to consider....

Rob

Thanks for the reply, Robroy. You're probably right--we shouldn't be on a cruise when internet access is important. We've been on many ships and have never had a problem in the past. Always a first time!

Just returned from the Sapphire Princess to Mexico. We were extremely frustrated over the fact that the internet was not working for the entire week.

Princess does not run the Internet service, it's contracted out. Obviously they would prefer to make money selling you access, the outage was probably something beyond their control.

I quite using internet access on the ship. Where you are in port almost every day it is cheaper and faster to find a cybercafe on shore and use their system. There are several web sites that list cybercafe's in various countries. IF you are not paying for internet access on Princess you still must wait for a computer to open up. Ask crew members where they go for internet access when in port.

I was on the Sapphire over Christmas and used the internet every day without a problem.

No matter what, whenever you have an internet connection dependent on satellite positioning while the ship is moving, you're likely to experience problems. I've found this on both Princess and Royal Caribbean. It doesn't matter what ship or cruiseline. It'll happen.

If your vacation is dependent on having to be on the internet, you're probably better off with a land vacation somewhere in the U.S.

We were on the Sapphire last week and our tablemates used the Internet every day without trouble. The husband worked for a bank and had to be in contact with his office each day. We didn't use the Internet ourselves on this trip.

Ray and Barbara

Princess.com is free when you are on the ship, it is best to click on that first and see how the connection is before running your card and attempting to use the internet.

Nice tip, Thanks. :D

I found it to be pretty slow in January, even when there was no one else in the cafe. I just took that as a sign to not bother with any live reports LOL. There was a guy one day who complained to the attendant about how long it took to log on to his email, and they credited him for 15 minutes or so that it hung on him, but that can happen on landbased internet as well.

I was on the Sapphire in November, needed to be in touch with home as my dad had surgery. I had slow connections, but no real problems. The few times I was "kicked off" I was told I could let the pursers desk know and they would credit my account. (which they did) now I'm platium so it doesn't matter.:o

Archived