When is the best time to book a Viking Ocean cruise to avoid heafty cancellation penalties?

islandwoman

On 12/16/2023 at 3:30 PM, Emptynesters38 said:

I believe if you buy insurance with Viking and you cancel you will forfeit the entire insurance premium. We have purchased insurance via Trip Insurance Store.com for our current cruise and you can pay at a later date for most of the policy depending on when the cancellation charges go into effect.

I have seen some posts on Cruise Critic from people who were upset when they cancelled and lost the insurance premium.

The tripinsurancestore.com is awesome! We have been using them for years, and Steve is knowledgeable and honest. He is the one who told me to initially just insure the deposit, which gives you preexisting coverage and then up the insured amount at final payment. And, if for some reason you have to cancel your cruise, and aren’t making a claim against the policy you can put what you’ve paid towards another vacation as long as it’s within 12 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, biggerbearmom said:

The tripinsurancestore.com is awesome! We have been using them for years, and Steve is knowledgeable and honest. He is the one who told me to initially just insure the deposit, which gives you preexisting coverage and then up the insured amount at final payment. And, if for some reason you have to cancel your cruise, and aren’t making a claim against the policy you can put what you’ve paid towards another vacation as long as it’s within 12 months.

Another vote for Steve!  He also educated us on just insuring the deposit (min. of $500).

Love the features of the policies he utilizes - that allow you to transfer your premium and insurance over to a different cruise.  We've done that many times so far.  Sure beats Tripmate.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Has anyone made a claim on a tripinsurancestore policy?  Did they pay?

Do they sell policies that cover pre-existing conditions?  At our age, anything could be considered a pre-existing condition ☹️

Yes, yes & yes in answer to your questions. Give Steve a call—no charge for good advice tailored to your needs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2023 at 3:32 PM, SantaFe1 said:

Wow!  Huge differences.   I’m looking at Malta for 2026.  Maybe I should just book it.  But even my Dogsitter has begun saying to me for these years off cruises, “I hope we are all still viable by then!”

Well, Merry Christmas to us!  I just booked Malta for Nov. 2025.  With all the end of the year and holiday discounts, we saved $3500!  Plus got $1000 Credit from our TA.  And we got our favorite cabin, and a six months out final payment!  Who knows what the price will be a year from now.  But this cruise sells out quickly.  So this seemed like a no-brainer.  My husband says we will either be on this cruise—or dead!  But he is a cup is half full kind of guy, so we expect to go!

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for your posts.  The way I understand the answers is that there is no way to avoid a penalty if you book and then have to cancel a Viking Ocean cruise.

If anyone wants to sail Viking, they have to

wait until the last minute to book, in which case they will probably pay way more for the cruise;

or be willing to risk loosing $1,000 or more in case they have to cancel;

or buy insurance.

Am I understanding correctly?

I paid $50 down for our cruise.  I don’t have to pay another penny until May 26, 2025.  Tomorrow I will take out insurance for $1000, costing me about $100, so we get pre-existing conditions covered.  ( the cost is the same for up to $1000, so I just take all of that).  I won’t up the insurance to cover the full amount until 120 days from sailing, because Viking refunds all but $100 pp until then.  So really, for the next year and a half, the most I would lose is the $100 I paid for insurance, which would cover any Viking penalties.  I hope this makes sense.  But to me it seems a pretty good deal.  That $25 pp down payment is great!

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I paid $50 down for our cruise.  I don’t have to pay another penny until May 26, 2025.  Tomorrow I will take out insurance for $1000, costing me about $100, so we get pre-existing conditions covered.  ( the cost is the same for up to $1000, so I just take all of that).  I won’t up the insurance to cover the full amount until 120 days from sailing, because Viking refunds all but $100 pp until then.  So really, for the next year and a half, the most I would lose is the $100 I paid for insurance, which would cover any Viking penalties.  I hope this makes sense.  But to me it seems a pretty good deal.  That $25 pp down payment is great!

And if you don’t cancel but just transfer your down payment to another cruise, your insurance should transfer too.

1 minute ago, LindaS272 said:

And if you don’t cancel but just transfer your down payment to another cruise, your insurance should transfer too.

Yes and various other variations. During Covid, when cruises were canceled by Viking, I could re-date the insurance and use it for another trip. I think we did that 2-3 times. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Your cruise must be less than 35 days? I was hoping to book a long cruise.

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/2-230626_BookingAndSaleTermsAndConditions.pdf

Cancellation Fee Schedule Effective for Cruise Tours (other than Grand & World Cruise Voyage) booked on or
after August 1, 2018:
Written Notice received
Days Prior to Departure
Date
Cancellation fee Per
Passenger
120 or more $100.00
119 to 90 20% of Full Fare
89 to 70 35% of Full Fare
69 to 50 50% of Full Fare
49 to 30 75% of Full Fare
29 or fewer 100% of Full Fare

B. Cancellation Fee Schedule Effective for Cruise Tours more than 35 days (Grand and World Cruise Voyages)
booked on or after August 1, 2018:

Written Notice received
Days Prior to Departure
Date
Cancellation fee Per
Passenger
180 or more $1,000.00

179 to 150 20% of Full Fare
149 to 120 40% of Full Fare
119 to 90 60% of Full Fare
89 to 60 80% of Full Fare
59 or fewer 100% of Full Fare

Edited by islandwoman

4 hours ago, islandwoman said:

Thank you everyone for your posts.  The way I understand the answers is that there is no way to avoid a penalty if you book and then have to cancel a Viking Ocean cruise.

wait until the last minute to book, in which case they will probably pay way more for the cruise;

or buy insurance.

The one other point is if you know you want to take a Viking cruise in the future, you can modify a booking to a different date, itinerary, or cruise type (between river, ocean, and expedition).  Your booking number stays the same, so you haven't cancelled.  I have done this before final payment; I am not sure if it works after final payment.  The new cruise does not have to be of the same length and can cost less or more than the original cruise.

1 hour ago, dd57 said:

The one other point is if you know you want to take a Viking cruise in the future, you can modify a booking to a different date, itinerary, or cruise type (between river, ocean, and expedition).  Your booking number stays the same, so you haven't cancelled.  I have done this before final payment; I am not sure if it works after final payment.  The new cruise does not have to be of the same length and can cost less or more than the original cruise.

Several years ago, when I changed one Viking River cruise for a different one, I had to pay a change fee.

7 hours ago, islandwoman said:

or buy insurance.

I have changed ocean to ocean, River to ocean, and expedition to ocean, never with a fee.  At some point you might just decide that you don’t like Viking’s policies and decide they are not for you.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

I have changed ocean to ocean, River to ocean, and expedition to ocean, never with a fee. 

I am happy to hear that you have been able to make changes to your cruises without fees.  That may not be possible any more, according to VIKING BOOKING AND SALE TERMS AND CONDITIONS

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/2-230626_BookingAndSaleTermsAndConditions.pdf

Under Cancellation Policy:  "Cancellation fees also will apply to changes to departure date; substitutions of itinerary; substitution of another person for original booked passenger(s)"

On 12/21/2023 at 9:10 PM, islandwoman said:

I am happy to hear that you have been able to make changes to your cruises without fees.  That may not be possible any more, according to VIKING BOOKING AND SALE TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Under Cancellation Policy:  "Cancellation fees also will apply to changes to departure date; substitutions of itinerary; substitution of another person for original booked passenger(s)"

Just to follow up.  Today I changed a River cruise to another river cruise.  No fees.  Same dates.  Got the cabin I wanted.  All the same perks.  It pays to ask!  And to have a good TA!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Just to follow up.  Today I changed a River cruise to another river cruise.  No fees.  Same dates.  Got the cabin I wanted.  All the same perks.  It pays to ask!  And to have a good TA!!

Good for you!  But now I'm really confused.  Do you or your TA have special status with Viking?  Or am I reading Viking's Terms and Conditions wrong? 

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

Good for you!  But now I'm really confused.  Do you or your TA have special status with Viking?  Or am I reading Viking's Terms and Conditions wrong? 

There is a Revision section above the Cancellation section that says revisions have a $30pp fee (which I have never been charged).  The Cancellation section lists the cancellation fees which are charged upon written request for cancellation.

15 minutes ago, dd57 said:

There is a Revision section above the Cancellation section that says revisions have a $30pp fee (which I have never been charged).  The Cancellation section lists the cancellation fees which are charged upon written request for cancellation.

I'm looking at this part, "Cancellation fees also will apply to changes to departure date; substitutions of itinerary substitution of another person for original booked passenger(s); and changes to a promotional fare."  But even if the Revision section applies instead, why are some passengers charged fees and others are not?

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

I'm looking at this part, "Cancellation fees also will apply to changes to departure date; substitutions of itinerary substitution of another person for original booked passenger(s); and changes to a promotional fare."  But even if the Revision section applies instead, why are some passengers charged fees and others are not?

Who knows? I've also wondered.

Maybe . .   because life isn't fair, squeaky wheel gets the grease, it's who you know that matters (like most everything in life)  🙂

There does seem to be no consistency in Viking.

I think the section you quoted covers cancellations and not transfers. We too have done several transfers the last couple of years and have never been charged a fee.

• Like 1

Our TA works for a big firm and handles VIP clients (not us!). They do a lot of business with Viking.  So maybe some pull.  But I also changed from one cruise to another onboard two years ago, and the Viking rep also transferred with no fees.  I sort of look at the contract terms as a worst case scenario.  And if the worst case happens, I have insurance that will cover it.  

• Thanks 1