Booking Shore Excursions

CruisingCookie21

On 12/26/2023 at 12:59 PM, CruisingCookie21 said:

If you are booking shore excursions, how far in advance of the cruise do you book yours?

Back to the original question. 

I just booked all of the ship's excursions for our B2B2B in the Mediterranean next October. Last night I went back to the listing of ShoreXes to make note of how many hours each was (for my calendar) and lo-and-behold, one I had reserved a day or two before, was sold out and "waitlisting". It had only been published on the 5th of January! but as it was to the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx, many had apparently been watching!

Very special things that are often the reason for a particular cruise, fill up fast. Also those advertised as "Small Group". Speaking of ship's tours, but private excursions also fill up -- as I have seen on lots of Roll Calls!

• Like 2

Thank you again. Forums are wonderful places to look, listen and learn. Otherwise, it might be possible to somehow get the wrong impression concerning what experience to expect... 

Egypt Shpinx Pyramids.jpg

Egypt Mortuary Temple of Hatshesup.jpg

Edited by Mike_and_Co

My very first cruise, I went on a whim as a solo and had no idea what I was doing, didn't even know about excursions, and just wandered. I had some great experiences at the smaller ports. I did take a tour at the biggest port and I'm glad I did that because I saw things that were beyond walking distance.

Looking back, I think some research would have helped especially in the Dominican Republic where it turned out everyone else took taxis into the actual town as the port was barely a town. OTOH, I did meet some cute kids who showed me around and let me ride their donkey. LOL

• Haha 2

On 1/16/2024 at 2:40 AM, David Hall said:

Just a general question, do you guys usually struggle to find things to do ashore - I know I do and end up just 'going for a wonder' in most ports?

Is that just me?

that totally depends on the port, if I have been there before etc.    For example if I was going to many carribean ports I would say yes as I have done the main touristy things and I am not a beach guy.  But if we are talking Europe in many ports I have so many things still to see and do that even just wandering is a great experience.    

You should really look in to private excursions and experiences in the ports where you have been there done that.  Often you can find some very unique things to do that few people experience (note some can be expensive).    Often you have to be comfortable doing a bunch of research to find sopme great options, as well using local transport or arranging a way to get to the place and back on your own can be a lot of fun.

On 1/16/2024 at 4:40 AM, David Hall said:

Just a general question, do you guys usually struggle to find things to do ashore - I know I do and end up just 'going for a wonder' in most ports?

Is that just me?

I tend to lean to excursions unless it's somewhere I've been, because I'm burdened with a traditional FOMO (fear of missing out).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2023 at 2:59 PM, CruisingCookie21 said:

If you are booking shore excursions, how far in advance of the cruise do you book yours?

We're going in July and I insisted that everyone going (there are 8 of us, and 7 are participating in the excursions) make up their minds by early January, so we could assure a) availability and 2) an affordable price. We lost my last grandparent in Dec 2022 (my grandmother, whom we all called by her first name, Kate) and my dad received some money from her estate, some of which he shared with my siblings and I, so the money was there, I just wanted to make sure that we didn't spend it all in one place. We kinda did, since all of the excursion portion is being spent in Cozumel.

In summary, the sooner you know what you want, the better it is to book it right away.

• Like 1

We're normally with you Hlitner.  Few ship tours for ud. ByWe did find last year cruising from Sydney to Port Douglas that ship tours were the only viable option if we actually wanted to go to the reef due to logistics.  I looked hard and long and private excursions just didn't work with the tendering needed.  We didn't have excursion credit, so that wasn't an issue. We've never sailed with excursion credits, did not realize these were non refundable if the tour was canceled, so good to know.