Is the drinks package worth it?

XEROSUN

I'm going next week on the Fantasia. I have cruised many times, both with and without the drinks package. The prices have been reasonable. Also, when I didn't get the drinks package, it was no problem buying drinks at any of the ports and bringing it on. I am OK with both, when the prices are reasonable or the occasion is special. In this instance, I am travelling alone on the cheap and the drinks package was €400, which is €100 euro more than the cost of the entire cruise! So, I am finding it difficult to pay that for a drink package. I am wondering two things: What do other people think, and: I have been on ships before when something is a certain price pre-booked but, when you get on the ship, it ends up being cheaper for various reasons. Has anyone found this with MSC just out of curiosity?

The drink packages will certainly be more expensive onboard. The question of worth/value is very personalized and it seems that in your instance you’ve already made up your mind. Be ok with the decision and don’t blow your drink budget for the cruise. Happy sailing 

5 hours ago, XEROSUN said:

the drinks package was €400

I'd have to be permanently drunk as heck to justify this cost. When I booked our MSC cruise, I opted for the fare with Easy Plus and wifi included, and this inclusion was a lot more reasonably priced. I had several fancy coffees a day, lots of bottled water and sodas, and a couple of alcoholic drinks a day. I cannot handle more than 2-3 a day because I don't drink at all. Same with hubs. 

Since our drink package price was rather low, we didn't feel that we had to break even or make it worth the price, so we paced ourselves.

MSC really jacked-up their drink package prices last year, even the ones offered when booking your reservation that include the drinks and wi-fi. IMO, the prices have become unreasonable and one can't drink enough to justify it. But if you can drink 6 or so alcoholic drinks daily, then you may break even.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 9:28 PM, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

MSC really jacked-up their drink package prices last year, even the ones offered when booking your reservation that include the drinks and wi-fi. IMO, the prices have become unreasonable and one can't drink enough to justify it. But if you can drink 6 or so alcoholic drinks daily, then you may break even.

I don't know. I recently booked one with the packages included and it came out to an additional $40 a day for the Easy Plus package and free wifi. And Fantastica class was also included. That's a good deal to me.

• Like 1