houston shuttle

beachgal58

The drive from Houston to Galveston is farther than it looks. It takes anywhere from 1-2 hours depending on traffic which can be bad. A taxi is too expensive to go that far, so the best choice would be either a shuttle or renting a car one way for just that day. Personally, I would probably do the car rental since you pay one low rate for the entire family. If you do a shuttle, it's priced per person and can get kind of expensive.;)

There is a car rental place right in the cruise terminal but I can't remember the name of it. Just go to Galveston.com and click on "transportation" and you should get lots of info. on shuttles, car rentals, taxi's, etc. You should get lots of info. on hotels, restaurants, and transportation on that website, it's a really good one.

On our last cruise to Galveston we stayed at the Days Inn on Nasa road which is kind of between Galveston and Houston. I don't like the downtown Galveston area, you have to be careful in some of those neighborhoods and the hotels are pretty packed with tourists everywhere on the streets. The Days Inn was not very old, it had won several awards for it's cleanliness which I'll vouch for, and it had a microwave and fridge in the room too. We also liked that both beds were queen size, not just a double bed like most of the other hotels in the area. Within a five minute drive were lots of nice restaurants like Olive Garden, Zios, and Red Lobster. This is in a nicer, newer area of town and the hotel only cost $60 a night during "Dickens on the Strand" weekend which is usually a higher priced weekend. I hope this helps, enjoy your cruise!:)

Archived