Car rental in Tromso?

Has anyone done a car rental in Tromso before?  I am trying to research it as we would like to do the Brosmetinden Hike and it appears the only option is to rent one at the airport.  If anyone has done this or has more info, hoping you can help.  Thanks in advance 

Is there a particular reason to do Brosmetinden? It’s a long drive there and back, considering there are some great hikes closer to the city that wouldn’t require a car. For example, if you take the cable car up, you can hike further up the mountain for some gorgeous panoramic landscapes.

If you do need a car, Avis & Budget have a location downtown at Strandskillet 5, and Hertz has a self-service point near the Hurtigruten ferry terminal.

7 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

Is there a particular reason to do Brosmetinden? It’s a long drive there and back, considering there are some great hikes closer to the city that wouldn’t require a car. For example, if you take the cable car up, you can hike further up the mountain for some gorgeous panoramic landscapes.

If you do need a car, Avis & Budget have a location downtown at Strandskillet 5, and Hertz has a self-service point near the Hurtigruten ferry terminal.

We were looking at this as we enjoy more natural surroundings and smaller "crowds".  Plus this hike looked like it had some lovely views, but without an overly strenuous hike.  

Since you put “crowds” in quotes, I assume you mean “seeing other people more than once an hour on the trail.”

If you’re arriving on a weekend, you will likely not have any popular trail to yourself. Hiking is extremely popular for many (most?) Norwegians and is a common weekend activity. If the weather is nice, much more so, since there’s a passion to get out and enjoy it.

We did around an hour of hiking (roundtrip) from the cable car on a sunny week day, and we did see around a dozen other people. Since it’s above the treeline, you can easily see humans at a distance, so maybe not the wholly isolated experience you’re looking for.

On 12/31/2023 at 5:51 AM, kaisatsu said:

Since you put “crowds” in quotes, I assume you mean “seeing other people more than once an hour on the trail.”

If you’re arriving on a weekend, you will likely not have any popular trail to yourself. Hiking is extremely popular for many (most?) Norwegians and is a common weekend activity. If the weather is nice, much more so, since there’s a passion to get out and enjoy it.

We did around an hour of hiking (roundtrip) from the cable car on a sunny week day, and we did see around a dozen other people. Since it’s above the treeline, you can easily see humans at a distance, so maybe not the wholly isolated experience you’re looking for.

So, we are arriving in Tromso on Monday June 3rd and by crowds, I  don't mind seeing others on the trail, I just know some spots do have an over abundance of people that take away from the natural beauty of a spot.  Thanks for the information.  I will look into the hike you suggested a little more.