Please Weigh in on Rough or Calm Seas

luvtosing

1 hour ago, ericosmith said:

Is there a limit to this?  With the advent of yacht like ships carrying around 100 passengers can they be as stable as traditional cruise ships?

Also what is the impact of the new bow design that most of the newer ships have migrated to?  I do find it interesting that Viking doesn't seem to be moving in that direction.  

Yes, smaller yacht type cruise ships can be very stable, it all depends on the design.

Again, ship stability is a completely different discussion from sea keeping ability. The best example I am aware of is the RNLI All Weather Lifeboats, with the largest only being about 60 feet. These are extremely stable boats, licenced to operate in all weathers and are self-righting. However, in 50' seas, the ride may not be the most comfortable, especially as they can maintain a reasonable speed.

Since I have been retired > 10 years, I haven't followed the latest design changes. However, the straight or vertical stem is meant to be more efficient, as per some of the old ocean liners. They do have a significant difference in that the old liners increased beam gradually, reaching max beam at about 1/3 of the ship's length. The structure was also built to sustain high speed in rough seas. The new ships, attain max beam very quickly and i doubt have similar design criteria (scantlings) as the old liners, so time will tell if the modified straight bows are an improvement.

In heavy weather, I expect significantly more green seas and spray at the fwd end of the ship.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1