Ft Lauderdale - Best Values (dining, attractions)

gameover

Hello,

I am looking for recommendations for either dining or attractions in Ft. Lauderdale. More importantly I am looking for the best values (dollar menu at McDonalds does not count) for dining. Something that is not a chain but not a tourist trap either. Mainly in the casual dining range.

Are the best bets on 17th Street or Riverwalk or somewhere else? Also what restaurants should be avoided.

Lastly are there any must see attractions while I am in Ft Lauderdale.

Thanks in advance!

Start with a drink on the Riverfront @ Las Olas and enjoy the people watching. Catch the waterbus ($5.00 all day) and take it to the other end. Be sure to take along your favorite beverage in a cup and enjoy the fabulous yachts and homes along the way. Get off at stop # 1; we had dinner at Charley's Crab (not sure if it's what you had in mind for a value, but we enjoyed it). There is also a Greek restaurant next door that the patrons seemed to be having a ball while dining (we are trying that one next time). For that matter there are places all along the route that just might be the place for you with a little investigation. Then cruise back to stop # 18 and enjoy the trip in the dark for another perspective. We had as good a time as any and the real cruise hadn't even started! Check out:

http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

and have a great cruise!

The riverfront I checked out th web site the other day and it looks cool. Hopefully it will be similar to the one that I saw in San Antonio. Other people in our group have expressed to see the King Tut exhibit but I just assume to enjoy a beverage :D Our hotel is right on the watertaxi route but I have just learned that the rate is now $10. Too bad about the rate increase but not a show stopper.

The restaurant you mentioned would be in line for what we are looking for. Thanks for the sugesstions.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved Cafe Oasis- it has outdoor seating and every table is a covered swing table. It was awesome. The juicest most tender steak I ever had. When it first arrived it looked rather flat and sad but once I took a bite I was in heaven.

It's right across from the beach and has a wonderful atmosphere.

Las Olas is a street with tons of restaurants and bars, right near Riverfront. Go to Jacksons on US 1 in Davie - not far from theport. It's an old fashioned ice cream parlor that also has a full menu. It's really a fun time!

• 2 weeks later...

There are tons of restaurants on Las Olas, at all different price ranges - some are expensive, as well as some different shops. I would stay away from RiverWalk as really nothing there anymore and the restaurants are not very good. Since you will be taking a water taxi, Shooters is pretty good. Reasonably priced and on the Intracoastal where you can watch the yachts dock. Can wear shorts - very casual but a popular spot and can eat outside or inside.

Shooters is one happening place besides having good food. If you happen to have the time and will be there on a Sunday, head on over and get a view of the women in their so called swimsuits. This may sound like a guy thing but this event draws a good crowd of guys and girls, young and old, and even families. Two nice bars inside, one outside, a higher end seafood restaurant next door, boats coming and going and this is a water taxi stop. Have fun. We're cruising May 4th for my first time and bypassing Fort Lauderdale this year but me and my friends have had good times in the past! There are also some other reasonably priced restaurants frequented by locals that have good food too!!

ps If you go really early in the day, there's a small pool to hang out at.

I wasn't impressed last spring with Riverwalk, places had closed and the economy had shown there. I have no idea what it's like this year. Las Olas is nice, especially at night. Great for people watching and some hipper places to go for higher end cocktails. Dress to impress!!

• 4 weeks later...

We were just there on our Caribbean Princess cruise two weeks ago and we really enjoyed the water taxi tour. We stayed at the Renaissance on 17th and ate lunch right across the street at Bravo, an delicious Italian Restaurant. For dinner we caught the water taxi near our hotel and got off at stop 9 and ate at Mango's at the recommendation of the guide on the water taxi. I had chicken oscar which was delicious. There are many French and Italian outdoor cafes to choose from in addition to Mango's. Also, there is a Cheesecake Factory there. Lots and lots of shops to window shop. Don't miss the ice cream/chocolate shop. They had the most delicious fudge and bear claws I've ever eaten.

Archived