Using work VPN on Princess (Regal Princess)

17 hours ago, tiggerrr said:

I was unable to work on my work laptop due to VPN on two cruises on Discovery Princess this past year and a half.  One cruise was before starlink and one after. Also, didn’t work on Diamond this past January but it did work on Grand last September.  When I went to see if the staff could help, they were clear each time I tried that VPNs are not supported and they would not try to help. So, it may work for you but if it’s critical that you be connected, you may be running a risk.  Thankfully, we have a Citrix connection at work too, so my wife’s laptop worked for me to stay connected. 

This has been been my exact experience also.  On our last November (Enchanted) and August (Caribbean cruises.  Princess staff said the VPN would not work with the Medallion.net.  VPN support said it might work, but only with a close county access which defeated the purpose for me. 

• Like 1

Using Express VPN while in Australia and New Zealand I had good success in using connections in Miami, Florida. Some sites I normally access had zero interest in letting me access them from Australia and New Zealand but were just fine when I said I was in Florida.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Last year (Sep '23) I was on the Crown and had no issue connecting to my corporate VPN using Medallionet (via Cisco AnyConnect).  So I planned this 14 day Alaska cruise on the Grand I'm on now and I was hoping to work a large portion of it.  However evidently Princess has made a change and the firewalls now block a lot of VPN's.  My corporate won't connect at all and even the cheap one I have through the Opera browser won't work. I talked to a couple of the different "tech" people on board and they stated this was a recent change.  So just throwing that out there for anyone hoping to use a VPN to work.  I was able to work in the first port by sharing my AT&T internet connection from my phone but that won't help me while we're cruising the glaciers. 😕

They are even blocking access to some (not all) of the VPN sites which is strange.  I can get to NordVPN's site but not Cyberghost (for example).  Someone suggested throwing a VPN on my phone and then sharing my internet out through that (which I'm doing already with medallionet) so I may give that a try but my job also frowns on the use of VPN's as they have a strict policy about working outside the US (even though I'm in friggin' Alaska).