“Forced overnight in Reykjavik”

Hello everyone!
I just happened to look at our reservation to see when our final payment was due and noticed the quote I’ve used as a title. Beyond that all it says is TBA. This is the Golden Circle cruise on Splendor, July 5-15. Can anybody enlighten me as to what this means?

Thanks,

Kim

To be announced, meaning they have not secured a hotel for the forced overnight.  Did you book your air with Regent?  If so the cruise lines in the past (many years ago) when a passenger was "forced" overnight because of air schedules they arranged for a complimentary hotel. Not sure if they do that any longer.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, exlandlubber said:

Hello everyone!
I just happened to look at our reservation to see when our final payment was due and noticed the quote I’ve used as a title. Beyond that all it says is TBA. This is the Golden Circle cruise on Splendor, July 5-15. Can anybody enlighten me as to what this means?

Thanks,

Kim

Coming back to JAX from Reykjavik last August, we had a forced overnight in Newark.  Be thankful yours is in Reykjavik🤣 Regent put us at Marriott Courtyard.  Not a fabulous way to end a cruise.

4 hours ago, gabelle said:

Coming back to JAX from Reykjavik last August, we had a forced overnight in Newark.  Be thankful yours is in Reykjavik🤣 Regent put us at Marriott Courtyard.  Not a fabulous way to end a cruise.

If I had known, I would have invited you over to my house for dinner!  My home has become the rest and refueling stop for long EWR layovers since I don't live far from the airport.

• Like 1

So I’m guessing we’ll be put at a hotel near the airport once we’re off the ship as opposed to somewhere in town where we could still play tourist for the day. Final payment is due in March so it might be worth changing air arrangements before then. Thanks again for the help.

This past August we experienced the same.  Being in a Penthouse suite we were eligible for a 1 night free pre-cruise hotel stay.  Regent put us in the Hilton Nordica Reykjavik.  On the post-cruise overnight in Reykjavik they put us in the Grand Hotel Reykjavik.  Both hotels are within walking distance from each other.

Both hotels are well outside of downtown Reykjavik and not within walking distance of the town.  But the Hop-on-hop-off bus stops right at the Hilton Nordica and you can easily buy tickets at the hotel for it.  And this hotel is directly across from the US embassy which I thought was neat.  I thought the food at the Nordica hotel was delicious, not so much at the Grand.

An item to be aware.  On flight to Reykjavik from the east coast (we flew in from Newark), arrival time in Reykjavik is very early morning.  I think we arrived at about 5:45 am with favorable winds.  Small airport, relatively quick customs and baggage pickup.  Drive to the hotel from the airport is about 35 - 45 minutes.  So we were at the hotel well before 8 am.  Rooms are not available until 3 PM checkin and there is no wiggle room on that (we have tried on our first trip there with Regent).  So, this time we paid for the night before and notified the hotel that we wouldn't be arriving until early morning.  Our room was ready so we could clean up from the flight, park our luggage and then have breakfast and proceed with our day.  

One last thing.  Sometimes when you arrive in Reykjavik, the plane lets the passengers out onto the tarmac where you walk to a bus that takes you to the terminal.  And it is COLD in the early morning so make sure that you have some sort of sweater/ jacket for the walk to the bus.  Of the three times that we have flown into Reykjavik, this has happened to us twice.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, exlandlubber said:

So I’m guessing we’ll be put at a hotel near the airport once we’re off the ship as opposed to somewhere in town where we could still play tourist for the day. Final payment is due in March so it might be worth changing air arrangements before then. Thanks again for the help.

There are no hotels near the airport, so you will be in downtown Reykjavik.  We have stayed at the Hilton several times, and while it is not downtown per se, it is pretty close and has a great breakfast buffet. 

Hello again! We had a stop over in Reykjavik in November and it WAS cold - and very dark! I’m not a fan of Icelandair because the seats were basically the same as premium economy and it’s a long haul from Orlando, so we were both pretty stiff and tired when we landed. I thought the lounge was pretty cool but we were both too exhausted to appreciate it. I think the idea of paying for the room the night before makes perfect sense, especially if we’re going to land really early in the morning. These are really helpful comments and they’re much appreciated. Thank you.