Are any of you noticing last minute prices with cruises seem to be going up in price?

This is definitely true for Princess.  In late summer 2023, I had booked 2 cruises for January 2024. I  kept an eye on the fares and they both continued to increase until both itineraries had sold out.

I later read about Princess' new pricing strategy. They're dropping the common practice of offering last minute discounts. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/princess-cruises-significantly-changes-its-pricing-structure/113387

9 minutes ago, Wanderlust2018 said:

This is definitely true for Princess.  In late summer 2023, I had booked 2 cruises for January 2024. I  kept an eye on the fares and they both continued to increase until both itineraries had sold out.

I later read about Princess' new pricing strategy. They're dropping the common practice of offering last minute discounts. 

https://www.cruisehive.com/princess-cruises-significantly-changes-its-pricing-structure/113387

Lower fares for earlier bookings is similar to how Amtrak prices long distance (non-regional) passenger tickets. 

IMO, the price guarantee within 72 hours of making a reservation at Princess Cruises official website is kind of weak, considering how far out the cruise line will accept bookings and enjoy an interest-free loan. As long as the deposit is fully refundable then I suppose it's not that big a deal to cancel and re-book if there's a better deal later, but 72 hours...that's basically just for show.

5 hours ago, jingle5616 said:

Slim pickin's if you are looking for a bargain right now.  But they keep building big ass ships and that sooner or later creates lots of great deals down the road.  Hi ho.

At some point supply could substantially outpace demand given the new, larger ships that are currently under construction / planned in the upcoming years that will add to existing capacity. But if that happens, the cruise industry could take a page from the oil companies' playbook and take excess capacity offline in an effort to cut costs and prop/stabilize prices.

They could sideline excess capacity but it will cost them quite a bit.  Big ships cost a bundle just to sit idle and they need constant attention to paint and any exposed surface.

• Like 1