Manaus local transport options

shorefolks

I am trying to arrange an early-morning ride from the ship to the MUSA park for a guided birding walk. What are the local options? Taxi, Uber, etc.? How reliable are these? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

We used Uber to visit MUSA a few months ago and it worked very well. We took a local bus back so not sure how successful we would have been getting an Uber.  The park is on the far side of town and it took almost 45 minutes to get there.  I had researched the bus ahead of time and used it because I wasn't sure how successful we would be in getting an Uber driver to come out there. 

Following the bus website is a bit tricky and is all in Portuguese but here goes. 

http://www.onibusmanaus.com.br/

It has a not secure warning.  The route to and from is 448.  You can plug that number into the website under Linha.  One of the reasons we used Uber to go to MUSA was that the bus "terminal" right outside the port is a little hard to navigate.  It looks like the bus leaves from Yellow 1 North platform--see attached photo with the bookmark for amerela 1 Norte so on the right side of the platform on the left. We managed it on another trip but since we had a sim card this time, it was easier to just use Uber--it was about $6 so we tipped really well.  It's easy on the way back because the bus stop is right outside MUSA.

On another stop in Manaus we took the bus to the CIGS zoo and the Ponta Negra beach without incident.  We found the platform where the bus was supposed to come and just watched for the correct number.  Be careful of your belongings. In terms of the cost, in the past, senior citizens rode for free.  When we took the bus from MUSA back to the ship, no one was being charged.  Not sure of the current policy.

Screenshot_20240113-131325.png

If you have data I would definitely recommend taking an Uber to MUSA--it's probably safer and definitely easier.  Taking the bus back to the pier works well because it is not difficult to connect with the bus and easy to tell when to get off.  The other passengers will warn you to keep your phone and other belongings safe.  We never had any issues in Manaus on our 3 visits, but we never went out at night and were very careful and situationally aware.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing some research since we'll be returning to Manaus March 9 to join a ship.  Looks like there is a new website:

https://www.sinetram.com.br/p/Horario-dos-onibus

Many routes have changed and a card may now be required, not good news.  I'll try to find out more and post if I manage to do so.

Edited by mcmarya

• 1 month later...

Sorry, too late to be of benefit to Shorefolks.  Bus service in Manaus is free to anyone over 60, disabled, pregnant, etc.  Once you figure out which route to take it actually works well.  We were there on 3/9, 10 and took the bus to the CIGS zoo--route 120 from the top right red star from the map above.  Taking local buses is sort of a hobby for us.  We found some kindred spirits on our recent Seabourn Quest cruise who do the same.