Jump to content

St Anthony NF tender


Recommended Posts

On 1/6/2024 at 10:59 PM, Ferndale Girl said:

Does anyone know where the tender docks in St Anthony?  Is there anything within walking distance?

We will also be there this season, so did some research, in the map below, you will find the tender dock in the yellow circle and several points of interest are on the map, with the numbers below.

 

The red circles are for our own use, indicating several hikes near the tender dock.

Lopen2.thumb.jpg.42fd32b733dedaf83fef3c77cf2b6185.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Alphen said:

We will also be there this season, so did some research, in the map below, you will find the tender dock in the yellow circle and several points of interest are on the map, with the numbers below.

 

The red circles are for our own use, indicating several hikes near the tender dock.

Lopen2.thumb.jpg.42fd32b733dedaf83fef3c77cf2b6185.jpg

Thank you so much.  I'm happy to see that the ship will dock on the side of the harbor that has things to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ferndale Girl said:

Thank you so much.  I'm happy to see that the ship will dock on the side of the harbor that has things to do.

Just to make sure, that’s the location where the ships tenders will dock!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When we visited St. Anthony last summer (2023, HAL Voyage of the Vikings), a physical copy of this map was available to pick up as well. The HAL Zuiderdam would have been located off-page to the upper right off of Fishing Point Park; the tenders went all the way to the Grenfell Floating Dock point as circled in yellow and made their rounds back and forth - it was one of the longest tender trips we had on the cruise. As the map shows, the 'main' street extends to either side. I do note that St. Anthony is a small town; as the map might suggest, the essence of 'things to do' will revolve more around the scenery, daily community, and community buildings than visitor-specific services and structures. 

 

If you are interested in spending the day on the trail system, I felt like the hiking trails were well worth it - plentiful, decently easy to find, great views, and well maintained. One thing I must emphasize, though: if you are tempted to take the Tea House Hill Trail to connect to the American Base Trail, the indicated straightforward path of the American Base Trail on that map is only to fit it in on the page. The actual route is very much not linear and is much, much longer than it seems as it meanders towards and around a lake before heading towards a former American base structure. Should you take the American Base Trail, you will connect to what I believe is American Drive with an option to turn down the road towards the former base ruins or to head back in the general direction of the harbor. Going towards the base can be a worthwhile diversion as there are a few points where you will be able to see Cremaillere Harbor from a distance before turning around and continuing back towards St. Anthony via American Drive. 

 

If that is a tad disconcerting (and it certainly was for me while on the trail), another option is to follow the main road with about a half-hour walk to Fishing Point Municipal Park. There will be a sidewalk (heading past RagnaRock Northern Brewing Co) for a stretch of it; be aware that the sidewalk will eventually end to become a walk along the road. It is again a pleasant view of the harbor, and there are a few nicely kept platforms from which to do whale watching (and/or icebergs, depending on your luck and time of year - we were very lucky to see some whales!). Fishing Point also connects to Daredevil Trail, which is actually an extended ascension of stairs along the cliffside connecting to some great views and an upper network of trails.

 

Hope this helps!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Crewbie said:

When we visited St. Anthony last summer (2023, HAL Voyage of the Vikings), a physical copy of this map was available to pick up as well. The HAL Zuiderdam would have been located off-page to the upper right off of Fishing Point Park; the tenders went all the way to the Grenfell Floating Dock point as circled in yellow and made their rounds back and forth - it was one of the longest tender trips we had on the cruise. As the map shows, the 'main' street extends to either side. I do note that St. Anthony is a small town; as the map might suggest, the essence of 'things to do' will revolve more around the scenery, daily community, and community buildings than visitor-specific services and structures. 

 

If you are interested in spending the day on the trail system, I felt like the hiking trails were well worth it - plentiful, decently easy to find, great views, and well maintained. One thing I must emphasize, though: if you are tempted to take the Tea House Hill Trail to connect to the American Base Trail, the indicated straightforward path of the American Base Trail on that map is only to fit it in on the page. The actual route is very much not linear and is much, much longer than it seems as it meanders towards and around a lake before heading towards a former American base structure. Should you take the American Base Trail, you will connect to what I believe is American Drive with an option to turn down the road towards the former base ruins or to head back in the general direction of the harbor. Going towards the base can be a worthwhile diversion as there are a few points where you will be able to see Cremaillere Harbor from a distance before turning around and continuing back towards St. Anthony via American Drive. 

 

If that is a tad disconcerting (and it certainly was for me while on the trail), another option is to follow the main road with about a half-hour walk to Fishing Point Municipal Park. There will be a sidewalk (heading past RagnaRock Northern Brewing Co) for a stretch of it; be aware that the sidewalk will eventually end to become a walk along the road. It is again a pleasant view of the harbor, and there are a few nicely kept platforms from which to do whale watching (and/or icebergs, depending on your luck and time of year - we were very lucky to see some whales!). Fishing Point also connects to Daredevil Trail, which is actually an extended ascension of stairs along the cliffside connecting to some great views and an upper network of trails.

 

Hope this helps!

Many thanks for this eyes on report, I have only my research, but came to the conclusion that from the tender port, both Tea House Trail and the Santana Trail plus Dare Devil Trail, are doable, figuring the distances I measured on Google, together with the YouTube footage I found on the actual Dare Devil Trail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very welcome - my trip preparation was a bit late and so DIY/hiking around was the default option on some of our ports. As it was, St. Anthony was one of my favorite ports on the trip! To be honest, I'm not quite sure I even remember which section was the Santana Trail; the Dare Devil Trail with all its steps is the very obvious one. Despite being all steps, Dare Devil I think is quite nice - very well maintained, a few nooks to pause, and the transition/emergence from the start up through the foliage and onto the cliff are well worth it! Once up top, the footpaths are somewhat narrow but mostly still very clear and well worn; there are also markers for particular viewpoints. 

 

As a more general note, if hiking doesn't appeal to folks, I would encourage plans to find and/or book an activity, independently or through the ship as can be found, sooner rather than later. The town, understandably, only has limited resources for transportation/tour services, and can get tapped out by tourist demand easily. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Crewbie said:

Very welcome - my trip preparation was a bit late and so DIY/hiking around was the default option on some of our ports. As it was, St. Anthony was one of my favorite ports on the trip! To be honest, I'm not quite sure I even remember which section was the Santana Trail; the Dare Devil Trail with all its steps is the very obvious one. Despite being all steps, Dare Devil I think is quite nice - very well maintained, a few nooks to pause, and the transition/emergence from the start up through the foliage and onto the cliff are well worth it! Once up top, the footpaths are somewhat narrow but mostly still very clear and well worn; there are also markers for particular viewpoints. 

 

As a more general note, if hiking doesn't appeal to folks, I would encourage plans to find and/or book an activity, independently or through the ship as can be found, sooner rather than later. The town, understandably, only has limited resources for transportation/tour services, and can get tapped out by tourist demand easily. 

Thanks for all the tips, we have done almost 90% of our preparation and booking, just a few tours that are not open for booking at this moment. We already have noticed a price increase in a ships tour, after booking it, so the early bird...... 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Set Sail Beyond the Ordinary with Oceania Cruises
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: The Widest View in the Whole Wide World
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise Critic News & Features
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...