Ravenna Hotel Rec

momnfrisco

We will travel by train to Ravenna a day prior to sailing. Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel in Ravenna. 
I have seen a few that will work but would be nice to have a personal rec. A dinner spot suggestions would be great as well. 

Thanks

We stayed at the NH Hotel in Ravenna for the night prior to our cruise in June 2023.   While I wouldn't consider this an amazing hotel, it's a nice/solid European chain hotel that we'd definitely consider staying at again if cruising out of Ravenna.  

We pre-paid about $226CDN (plus city/hotel tax payable at the hotel) via AMEX travel (needed to use of a travel credit) for a standard room with one full bed on a non-refundable rate without breakfast.  Check in at 3pm, check out at noon.  Free wifi that had decent coverage and speed.  Free bottles of water upon arrival.  

Location was very good/great.  It's a short and easy to navigate two block walk from the train station.  We wanted to be fairly close to the train station as (1) we were going spend a long time in transit travelling from home and (2) we wanted to scope of the train station the morning of departure to identify the vendor that offers the coach ride to the port.  It's also a straight 5 minute walk to the main square, Fontanella Piazza del Popolo and about a 10-15 minute walk to the furthest of the mosaic sites.  The neighbourhood felt very safe but it seemed like an overall very safe town.

Front desk staff were friendly (as well as the housekeeping staff we ran into) and spoke english.  We forgot to print our luggage tags prior to leaving home and they were happy to print them out for us (free of charge).

Our room was fairly nice and modern but somewhat small and basic.  It did have a mini-fridge though which which we find handy to keep water/drinks cold.  I think the pictures on their website and tripadvisor are a fair representation. 

(No great dinner spot recommendation as we ended up just grabbing a couple of piadinerias which were only meh.)

I stayed, sort of, at Le Case di San Vitale which is more of a B & B and while charming, and opposite one of the mosaic sites, I could not get the a/c cold enough for my liking.  Also, as I guess is the case in Italy, the hotel isn't staffed 24/7 which made me a little uncomfortable.

I moved to the NH around 9 PM and I agree with the above. It's fine for a night.  I'd put it on par with maybe a Hampton Inn or Courtyard in the USA.  The staff was very nice, and again, the room wouldn't cool off enough for my liking, but it WAS cooler than the B&B.

Breakfast was good.  I took a shuttle to the pier which picked up just across the street.  I'd had dinner near the first hotel which was decent but not particularly memorable.  Ravenna is charming though and there are plenty of places to eat. 

Cabs are very limited so I would be sure to set something up in advance if you can to get to the ship.  Fun fact, the Case di San Vitale is in the ZTL (limited transportation zone) and I wasn't sure I'd be able to get a cab to get me to the NH.  I asked the kind bar server in the adjacent bar to get a cab for me, which she kindly did on her app.