Arvia Caribbean - Retreat

doog442

We know it's not cheap (that's not the topic) but would rather avoid a 6 am bun fight, plus they do free drinks. 

We can't book until we get onboard, so am wondering if anyone who's done it on the Caribbean cruise can report on availability issues. Do you have to book the whole 14 days or 7 days ? The fact 2500 people will already be on the ship probably limits options for the first week I guess.  

If you've done it, how was it? We've done similar on Princess and enjoyed it. We're not fussed about sun / shade issue as long as we have two sun beds so  just want to chill.  

3 hours ago, doog442 said:

We know it's not cheap (that's not the topic) but would rather avoid a 6 am bun fight, plus they do free drinks. 

We can't book until we get onboard, so am wondering if anyone who's done it on the Caribbean cruise can report on availability issues. Do you have to book the whole 14 days or 7 days ? The fact 2500 people will already be on the ship probably limits options for the first week I guess.  

If you've done it, how was it? We've done similar on Princess and enjoyed it. We're not fussed about sun / shade issue as long as we have two sun beds so  just want to chill.  

We did it on the first cruise we did on P and O whilst the kids would be in kids club

Can't remember the booking rules then. I do remember it was a lot cheaper back then 

Seem to think daily passes were subject to how busy it was back then 

The downsides are the food they will serve in there is no better than what you will find in the buffet and very limited choice. So we would leave for food albeit we had a bit of the fruit on offer

You still have a battle to get the best sun loungers in there. Depending on whether you want sun or shade etc. Ie the best ones are taken early like everywhere else.

Also when the sun and shade changes your are stuck with what you already have as by then all loungers will be taken pretty much. Unless you leave the retreat. 

What it really gives you is more space around you and some comfier sun lounger options. And obviously it's  quieter there

What are the free drinks you are thinking of?

Re bunfight at 6am. 

On a seaday on Arvia 7am ish will secure great  spots near the swim up bar on the normal decks and the Retreat didn't have a swim up bar last time I checked

Are you holidaying in school holidays. If so maybe it's worth it. If not I'm not so sure

Not worth it for us as we are early risers and able to secure great sunbed spots without paying near the swim up bar

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We did it on the first cruise we did on P and O whilst the kids would be in kids club

Can't remember the booking rules then. I do remember it was a lot cheaper back then 

Seem to think daily passes were subject to how busy it was back then 

The downsides are the food they will serve in there is no better than what you will find in the buffet and very limited choice. So we would leave for food albeit we had a bit of the fruit on offer

You still have a battle to get the best sun loungers in there. Depending on whether you want sun or shade etc. Ie the best ones are taken early like everywhere else.

Also when the sun and shade changes your are stuck with what you already have as by then all loungers will be taken pretty much. Unless you leave the retreat. 

What it really gives you is more space around you and some comfier sun lounger options. And obviously it's  quieter there

What are the free drinks you are thinking of?

Re bunfight at 6am. 

On a seaday on Arvia 7am ish will secure great  spots near the swim up bar on the normal decks and the Retreat didn't have a swim up bar last time I checked

Are you holidaying in school holidays. If so maybe it's worth it. If not I'm not so sure

Not worth it for us as we are early risers and able to secure great sunbed spots without paying near the swim up bar

Cheers. Reference the drinks, looking in my booking under 'the retreat experience' it states 'A selection of self-serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks including teas and coffees are also included in your experience! '.. I think someone posted a pic of a large fridge with drinks (beer / wine / soft drinks) on a thread on here once...that said hardly free as your obviously paying for 'the experience' but I could imagine that fridge getting a right hammering .🤣

Funnily enough we tend to be early risers in the Caribbean simply due to the time difference, we never really adapt so that could favour us, usually awake 6/7am.  We have five sea days, three in the first six days, the first will be a write off as we will be exploring the ship. We will also be off the ship on every port visit so as I write this I'm thinking 'what's the point' . I'm presuming the sea days will be sold out, unless of course you have to buy the whole 14 days.

It's odd they don't give any prices or further info on the website other than it comes with a few offers (internet / spa and 10% off shore breaks). 

Thanks for the heads up

• Like 1

We had the ability to book The Retreat beforehand , about 14 days prior to our cruise on Britannia and it is also available to book now on our upcoming cruise on Azura. The price listed is for the 14 days, no pricing for day passes.

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

Cheers. Reference the drinks, looking in my booking under 'the retreat experience' it states 'A selection of self-serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks including teas and coffees are also included in your experience! '.. I think someone posted a pic of a large fridge with drinks (beer / wine / soft drinks) on a thread on here once...that said hardly free as your obviously paying for 'the experience' but I could imagine that fridge getting a right hammering .🤣

Funnily enough we tend to be early risers in the Caribbean simply due to the time difference, we never really adapt so that could favour us, usually awake 6/7am.  We have five sea days, three in the first six days, the first will be a write off as we will be exploring the ship. We will also be off the ship on every port visit so as I write this I'm thinking 'what's the point' . I'm presuming the sea days will be sold out, unless of course you have to buy the whole 14 days.

It's odd they don't give any prices or further info on the website other than it comes with a few offers (internet / spa and 10% off shore breaks). 

Thanks for the heads up

Certainly it would only be the sea days when you would really see any significant benefit

On those days although I say 7am would be early enough to secure beds near the swim up bar you are of course very close to other sunbed compared to the retreat once they fill up

Are you school holidays or not?

The drinks will be o.k maybe

Was interested in whether they include cocktails? 

At the swim up bar we enjoy iced cocktails (we have to pay of course but not overly expensive for them)

There's no wrong ro right answers on what you should do IMO 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

31 minutes ago, purplesea said:

We had the ability to book The Retreat beforehand , about 14 days prior to our cruise on Britannia and it is also available to book now on our upcoming cruise on Azura. The price listed is for the 14 days, no pricing for day passes.

Not a cheap decision then.

I imagine passes might still be available when you board (but don't quote me on that)

If so maybe if you ask to be shown around it will help you decide whether it's worth the investment

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

Thanks, there's been no ability to pre book at all for our upcoming Caribbean next week (booked 12 months ago) and if I recall on our July (school holiday) Med cruise on the Britannia in 2019. I wonder if they gauge it (and price) on peak hot / warm weather cruises. 

2 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Certainly it would only be the sea days when you would really see any significant benefit

On those days although I say 7am would be early enough to secure beds near the swim up bar you are of course very close to other sunbed compared to the retreat once they fill up

Are you school holidays or not?

The drinks will be o.k maybe

Was interested in whether they include cocktails? 

At the swim up bar we enjoy iced cocktails (we have to pay of course but not overly expensive for them)

There's no wrong ro right answers on what you should do IMO 

Just reading the post above about the whole 14 days it doesn't seem worth it in our case. I'd choose a Caribbean beach over the Retreat. We leave a week Saturday, I'll report back on prices, they usually let you do a tour around so will investigate the included  fridge / drinks quality situation.

• Like 1

I am going on Arvia next week and we could book the Retreat months ago. The ability to book was only removed recently. I don’t know if that is because it’s full or they just remove it as the holiday gets closer.

We could only book for the whole holiday and I think it was about £780 for 2 people for 2 weeks (including my loyalty discount). That includes canned wine, beer and soft drinks. I think there is an attendant who will go outside to the bar to get other drinks for you, but they will be charged to your account.

As we will be off ship on all port days and  I don’t like sunbathing all day, it just wasn’t worth it for us. The main selling point for us would have been the option to pop into a relaxed area with a guaranteed seat but we felt our money would be better spent elsewhere.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Leomins said:

I am going on Arvia next week and we could book the Retreat months ago. The ability to book was only removed recently. I don’t know if that is because it’s full or they just remove it as the holiday gets closer.

We could only book for the whole holiday and I think it was about £780 for 2 people for 2 weeks (including my loyalty discount). That includes canned wine, beer and soft drinks. I think there is an attendant who will go outside to the bar to get other drinks for you, but they will be charged to your account.

As we will be off ship on all port days and  I don’t like sunbathing all day, it just wasn’t worth it for us. The main selling point for us would have been the option to pop into a relaxed area with a guaranteed seat but we felt our money would be better spent elsewhere.

We go a week Saturday so I must have missed that. I've been checking in every now and then but probably missed it in the avalanche of spam e mails they send. With such a full and potentially beach / port intensive itinerary folk might be struggling logistics wise to justify it apart from of course the sea days. Drinks wise we're covered with our OBC. I must admit I thought it would be more expensive.