My Time Dining versus Show times

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I think I have posted something along these lines before somewhere, but...

On boarding day we go to the MTD desk and speak to the staff member about getting in earlier that 6.45.

They always tell us its not possible but we can join a line around 6.15.

However, I tell them nicely that we are not bothered about where the table is or who the waiter is. Suddenly with a click of the magic button a table appears.

The trick is not to be demanding of those 2 things. If you are 2 people and want a table just for 2 then there may be one or there may not. If you are 2 people and don't mind sharing with 2 other people at a spare table for 4, then you may be in luck.

It just depends what you want, how you ask and what they have available and if you can bend a little.

Yes, some shows have 2 showings, and most of the time we don't mind waiting for the later show as there is normally something to do whilst we wait. However, sometimes there may be something else during the later show we really want to take part in or see, but also want to see that show that night too.

Sometimes, even if the 5.15 traditional dinning is available, depending on the ports of call and the trips involved, getting back to the ship and getting washed and changed in time is too much of a rush and not what we want from our holiday, so MTD is the best option. Its just too bad that there is no 6pm slot you can book in order to enjoy a day out and the early evening show if there is something else later after it you want to do.

It is supposed to be your holiday and supposed to be your time dining, but it looks like that is becoming a their time dining if you want to actually visit some places during the day and see some shows at night on particular days.

You just have to hope that on the nights you want a early MTD that traditional dining guests have gone to a speciality restaurant for that night or are late back from a trip and don't have time to dress up ready for 5.15 so go to the WJ freeing up tables for MTD.

Fingers crossed!

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
spelling

On 1/16/2024 at 6:24 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Almost always the answer would be no. What you choose is what you get. You can consider Windjammer, we always skip a night or so in the MDR and do WJ instead.  WJ has a pretty good dinner selection.

We just got off the ship yesterday.  We were able to resolve our dining issue by seeing the Maitre 'D the first day.  The 5:15 - albeit early - worked fine for the first and fourth nights.  We did a specialty restaurant on the third. It was the second night that was the issue.  Mamma Mia was at 3:30 p.m., and there was no way to make a 5:15 table.  We don't like doing a buffet for dinner, so we were able to do the MTD for that night after the show, per my conversation with the Maitre' D, so everything worked out.  Luckily they put us in for  a reservation for that night as the line for "no reservations" was pretty long.