Danube water levels 2024 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

We will be getting thunderstorms later today and into the night, but for now this looks to only lead to significantly higher levels at the Upper Danube in Germany, for our purposes here I say upstream from Donauwörth. There is no river traffic that far up.

I am working on some historic data, compiling a bit of a list (yes, more figures coming, ha! 😉). But that is for the cooler hours - I have no air conditioning...

Hope you are all having a great time on the river and the evening will balmy, with cocktails on the sun deck. 🙂

notamermaid

On 6/26/2024 at 8:33 AM, BobMartha said:

Was just notified that we have a ship swap for our sailing leaving Friday out of Regensburg on Emerald. We were on the Destiny but due to logistics with water levels we will now be on the Sky (same class of ship) doing the same itinerary. Whew! When you open your email first thing in the morning and see an email from your cruise line with the it starting out with due to.....

you can't help but think the worst! All good thankfully!

That makes for a blood pressure spike first thing in the day.  Mine is in early August so I'm keeping an eye on my email for those notices.  I am pretty sure we will be ok by then.  Happy sailing.

The Danube valley and Bavaria as a whole have now joined the West in showing temperatures over 30 Celsius in some areas. Splendid weather that will bring thunderstorms eventually. Tonight in the Rhine valley, followed by the Southeast of my country into the night. The level of the Danube will rise but past Regensburg not substantially so. For Passau it looks as if the level will rise not much above 600cm.

In Austria in the Nibelungengau region people are celebrating the summer solstice event today. Tonight, for the fireworks, there is a temporary river traffic ban. The event: https://www.donau.com/en/sonnenwende/

notamermaid

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Suefromthenorth said:

That sounds amazing. Why have I never heard about it before?

Thanks for sharing.😀

My pleasure. I had never read about it either. A chance find. If anyone is wondering what Nibelungen is, that is the background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibelungenlied

Yes, the Richard Wagner operas.

notamermaid

On 6/24/2024 at 11:35 PM, Suefromthenorth said:

I totally get the appeal of a small ancient church.

I really like English village churches. Occasionally I come across a German church or one in a neighbouring country that really appeals to me, beyond the architecture I mean. A place that goes deeper. Found one on the Moselle that had that effect on me. Such a place need not be ancient but I find that usually the really old churches have something special. There is a type of church that is intriguing to me architecturally. As per definition and idea and purpose of it, it has to be an old building. In German this is a Wehrkirche, a fortified church. There are not that many along the Danube river I think, but there is one right at the banks in the Wachau valley in Austria. No English description available but here is a website anyway. The church is Gothic but parts of it are older and the former church on the site went back to the 10th century: https://www.donau.com/en/wachau-nibelungengau-kremstal/imx/excursion-and-recreation/wehrkirche-st-michael/

You should be able to see it from the river when sailing past.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wehrkirche_St._Michael#/media/Datei:St._Michael_(Gem._Weißenkirchen)_-_Kirche.JPG

notamermaid