Helicopter tour in Skagway or Ketchikan?

disneygirl10

Originally planned to do a hellicopter tour in Skagway, whale watching tour in Ketchikan.   Now considering to swap those and do Mendenhall Glacier instead.  Has anyone done both?  Recommendations are appreciated!

Edited by disneygirl10

• disneygirl10 changed the title to Helicopter tour in Skagway or Ketchikan?

Helo trips in general are the most canceled trips due to weather so take that into consideration. Do you mean helo to Mendenhall in Juneau? I would think Skagway has better chance at better weather. Maybe you mean Juneau instead of Ketch. Mendenhall has receded so much you get to see very little of the glacier from visitor center. Anytime you can get on a helo it is spectacular as is being close to glacier.   

2 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

Helo trips in general are the most canceled trips due to weather so take that into consideration. Do you mean helo to Mendenhall in Juneau? I would think Skagway has better chance at better weather. Maybe you mean Juneau instead of Ketch. Mendenhall has receded so much you get to see very little of the glacier from visitor center. Anytime you can get on a helo it is spectacular as is being close to glacier.   

Oh shoot. Yes, I meant Juneau or Skagway! 

We did whale watching in Juneau and a helicopter glacier landing in Skagway and they were both fabulous. I wouldn't feel the need to swap them. We also had a very overcast, rainy day in Juneau and one of the two sunny days of our trip in Skagway, so we really lucked out that we had booked it that way, but that's not something you can count on.

Now your question make sense. Check the cancelation policies of all your planned tours then book helo in both so if first one is cancelled you can go on backup. Whales in Juneau are also very good. The helo trips in Juneau are short but take a little while to get to airport. Helos in Skagway are also short but very little travel time to get there. Skagway also has some other short free hikes to do after helo. I think the scenery on the way to landing in Skagway is better but my helo trip in Skagway was long time ago.