Best premium pkg red wines and those worth the upcharge from premium

flifish64

We are sailing on the Ascent on Jan 28th for back to back cruises.  We have the premium drink package and like a glass or two of wine with our dinners. For the first leg we have the Ultimate Speciality Dining so will be eating in those restaurants.  Hoping for Eden, Fine Cut, Le Voyage, and Raw on 5. What are the best Pinot Noir and Red Zinfandels offered on the premium drink pkg and are there any reds that are worth the upcharge from premium?

Thanks for all recommendations.

Carol

Edited by flifish64

A lot of that depends on what you like, especially in a Pinot Noir.

It looks like there's one Zinfandel from Mendocino County on the menu. There's also a Primitivo (same grape, long story) by Layer Cake from Puglia, Italy. If memory serves the Primitivo is pretty good; I don't think I've ever had that Zin. Those are both in the premium package. Decent selection by the bottle.

Pinot Noir is a different story, and you'll probably have to pay extra, or if you're looking for a really nice Pinot Noir, just buy a bottle. The primary Pinot Noir if a Mondavi California that most people seem to despise (I've never had it and can't imagine I ever would). The "Elevated" Pinot Noirs are Cherry Pie and their Elegance co-brand with Kendall-Jackson. They're showing that in the app as a Sonoma County wine. I've had it and it's OK. I thought they were selling the Penner-Ash from Yamhill-Carlton region of Willamette by the glass, but I don't see that on Ascent. It's been available by the bottle, but the MDR on Ascent shows Grand Moraine from the same area. $80 a bottle (20% discount for premium package plus 20% gratuity so just under $80).

As far as reds worth an upcharge, the Kiona Merlot from Red Mountain Washington is very nice, maybe the best upcharge on the menu. The Opulence Cabernet from Grgich Hills is $25, so $9.60 over the package. It's as good as I'd expect from Grgich Hills and not as crazy stupid of an upcharge as Caymus. 

You're probably just going to have to try a bunch of wine and see what you like. But the better wines are by the bottle. Even more so than in the past. And remember each venue has some variation on their wines, including the by the bottle wines.

7 hours ago, markeb said:

A lot of that depends on what you like, especially in a Pinot Noir.

Exactly.  It only matters what you like.  Try all the wines included in the PDP.  See if there's something you like.  Whatever you don't like they can dump.  I would ask for a small taste of the upcharge wines before you order.  That's a reasonable request that I think they will accommodate.  

• Like 1