Late night buffets GONE???

jkmmah

That's certainly how it was on the Pride recently. The only "midnight" buffet held in the Dining Room was on Friday night (the second formal night) and was the Gala Buffet.

Of course, there's always room service or the 24-hour Pizzaria and Ice Cream up on the Lido Deck, but that's not the same thing, is it...

Mark ºoº

5/9/04 Pride Cruise - 1st Cruise!

Click here for links to The Review

Visit our Webshots Gallery

Was on the Victory this Mar. While the elaborate buffets every nite are gone they did do a deck snack buffet of cakes, fruit, cheeses and som other stuff. Not another meal, but a nice end to an eve. There is always pizzia, fot serve and room service.

Holly

M/S Boheme 11/69

Rhapsody 2/77?

Azure Sea 3/89

Panama Canal 11/90

Mexican Riviera 3/98

Carnival Triumph 12/99

Carnival Spirit 12/01

NCL Dream 11/17/02

Celebrity Mercury 6/1/03

carnival Victory 3/28/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

On the Legend there was a late night buffet on lido deck every night and the Gala Buffet was still in the dining room.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same on the Elation. Every night at 11:30 PM there was a late night buffet, and the Gala buffet was in the Imagination dining room. The 1st 30 minutes of the Gala was picture taking session, followed by destroy the lovely decorations session! I was on the Elation on the 05/09 - 05/16/04 sailing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loisann:

We just returned Saturday from sailing on Glory, only 1 night gala buffet & that was not in the formal dining room, but informal.

Had grill open, fruit & sweets each night.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carnival Celebration 11/1988

Carnival Victory 7/2002

Carnival Glory 7/2003

Carnival Glory 7/2004

Carnival Miracle 7/2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;7;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Days until our family cruise!!!!!

icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Hey Loisann, we leave on our second cruise on the Glory in 46 days (and we can't wait)My questionis who was the cruise director?

Carnival Victory 7/2002

Carnival Glory 7/2003

Carnival Glory 7/2004

Carnival Miracle 7/2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;7;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

On our first cruises back in the 80's and early 90's, the Midnight Buffet was a very standard thing. I remember setting our alarm clock on many nights just to wake us up to go to them - camera in hand! The days of the nightly Midnight Buffet have gone (this from my MIL - one of her favorite sayings) "to where the Whangdoodle mourneth its first-born". Don't even ask me what it means. She always said this when something she liked was no longer available - like fancy ladies' hats and gloves.

On the Pride, they did have a late night bistro at 11 or 11:30 pm every night except for Wednesday there was a late night Mexican Buffett and Friday the Grand Gala Buffet. We never went to any of these except to take pictures at the Grand Gala.

Kathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;06;28;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Cruise with Mom- Early 80th birthday celebration!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;06;10;15;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Since our 5/30/04 sailing on the Pride in aft cabin 4228!

Ecstasy 05/26/03

Ecstasy 09/13/02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> say it isn't so????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, it's "So"

Our last cruise on the Triumph, they had a "<U>Late Night Snack</U>" on the open back deck of the ship. The burger/ sandwich bar was open along with a desert table. Of course the pizza place was open also.

The Lido Grill was closed. It was pretty humid on that back deck, even at midnight, so I took my stuff back to the room.

I was disappointed, I think more by the loss of tradition than the actual loss of the Food.

Though I imagine it's a blessing for the dining room staff.

They had the one night Gala Midnight buffet in the Lido dining room instead of the Main dining room & it was not the same.

I do believe they also had some sort of Mexican buffet on deck the night we sailed from Cozumel. I was a little to overwhelmed by our visit to Carlo's N Charlies to notice...LoL

Hate to see the 'tradition' gone too, but if they have burgers and pizza during that same timeframe, that'll work too. I usually get the burgers (one of the food items I crave after leaving the ship) for lunch at least 3 of the days...so now I can grab something else for lunch and get my burger fix later!!! icon_smile.gif

Return to Paradise: August 2004

then, Saints and Sinners: October 2004

Carnival Paradise 09/2003 and 09/2002

I don't mind. I usually have the late night seating so we were never hungry for the late night buffet anyway.

Disney Magic 08/13/99

Carnival Triumph 01/05/02

Carnival Paradise 01/05/03

Carnival Fascination 05/09/03

Norwegian Sea 9/14/03

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by momofdsc:

Hey Loisann, we leave on our second cruise on the Glory in 46 days (and we can't wait)My questionis who was the cruise director?

Carnival Victory 7/2002

Carnival Glory 7/2003

Carnival Glory 7/2004

Carnival Miracle 7/2005

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;7;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loisann:

cruise director on Glory was Mark Price and he was excellent. Had a great Motown singer Marcus Anthony in the Amber Palace one night--GREAT!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Marcus performed on our cruise on the 5/22 Glory as well, and I agree! It is definitely a not to be missed show!

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~

Countdown to Glory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Emerald Seas 6/86

Emerald Seas 11/87

S.S. Royale 10/88

Celebration 6/97

Grandeur of the Seas 6/98

Sensation 6/99

Carnival Triumph 6/00

Carnival Triumph 11/17/01

Enchantment of the Seas 10/27/02

Carnival Victory 5/25/03

Carnival Glory 5/22/04

That Whangdoodle comment made it worth getting online tonight. What an utterly hilarious and absurd thing to say! Are you related to Dr. Seuss? lol! Well, the Whangdoodle can keep the midnight buffets for all we care. Most of them look like the cummulative left-overs masquerading as new dishes, anyway. This afternoon it was potato salad, but tonight it's potato salad German chocolate cake!

Gael

Norway 1994

Norway 7/00

Grand Princess 7/01

NCL Sun 7/02

Zuiderdam 9/03

Elation 11/04

I love the Whangdoodle comment also. (I'd never heard it before but I might have to start using it) I agree with Travelitis as well, the midnight buffets are a waste of food and the staff's effort. With other options for food 24 hrs. a day, why bother. icon_wink.gif

dolph.gif

Carnival Pride 5/4/02

Carnival Conquest 1/19/03

Carnival Legend 1/16/04

Carnival Destiny 10/24/04

Carnival Valor 10/30/05

florida_fl_md_wht.gif

Just returned from cruising on the Paradise. There was a buffet every night at 11:30 on the Lido deck (including a special mexican buffet on the night of the deck party), except for the night of the Gala Buffet which was held in the dining rooms. I can't tell you what was served -- I took advantage of those times to find empty seats at the blackjack table.

Glory had a late night buffet every night on the Lido deck. Grand Gala Buffet on Thursday night. Amazing chocolate buffet (barely mentioned in Capers, few people knew about it) on Friday at lunchtime.

Glory 6/5/04

NCL Sky May 2000 (Alaska)

I usually do late seating so I only grazed once in a while at the nightly midnite spreads. This is an industry trend. My last cruise on the RCI Splendour of the Seas...they had no nightly buffet (except a "gala" one jnite I think) They did serve hot and cold h'ourderves in all the lounges starting at 11, which was kind of nice.

MitchC

Carnival Miracle 02/13/05

Disney Wonder 10/24/04

Splendour of the Seas 01/26/04

Carnival Conquest(adors!) 01/11/04

Paradise 03/02/03

Carnival Spirit 01/03

Carnival Legend 12/02

Carnival Victory 04/02

Sensation 01/02

Carnival Triumph 11/01

Imagination 11/00

Paradise 01/00

Holiday 11/98

Norway 1986

Mardi Gras 1986

(original CCL vessel)

On the Pride in February, food was available on the lido deck at around 11pm or 11:30, both hot dishes and desserts. I figure the reason for not having the gala buffet every night is that a lot of the food went to waste, I know I only ate a late night snack once on our cruise.

Personally, I'd rather them spend the money to make the main dining selections higher quality (which I felt they were great) in the main dining room than put a lot of money every night into somthing that I'm never going to eat. Having the grand gala buffet once a cruise to see the neat creations is enough for me.

Pride 02/15/04

Spirit 05/11/05

Archived