Internal temperature in hot climates

Tifferoo

Hi everyone,

We are (hopefully, Red Sea situation notwithstanding!) traveling from Singapore to Dubai in March/April as part of QM2 WC. I am excited to pack so wondering what the internal temperature of the ship is likely to be? Are extra warm layers needed due to the aircon?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Yes sometimes the interior spaces can be a tad cool - and sometimes at lectures in the Theatres.

If that is your worry then pack accordingly with some wraps and/or very light jumpers etc, although you are flying right into the heat at Singapore and then cruising the Tropics of SE Asia, so cottons, floppy hats, and light clothing is the order of the day.

You can adjust your Cabin temperature. 

If the Dubai call is altered, then it's quite possible your cruise may end in Colombo (which is very busy, hot and humid (and in early April it can see heavy rain showers from the start of the Monsoon).

If you would wish to extend your time in Sri Lanka then a short stay and a Tour up to Kandy and the Hill/Tea Country is blissful.
You can take the train to Kandy and on to the Tea Hills, the train ride from Colombo Fort Station up into the tea plantations of central Sri Lanka is a highlight of any trip to Sri Lanka.  

You can travel on a classic train with a first class observation car attached to the rear.  

This gives a wonderful rearward view along the tracks, you can see how this wonderful railway was constructed, hugging the hillside under overhanging rocks.  

Nanuoya is the railhead for Nuwara Eliya, a Colonial-era hill station where the British would spend time away from the heat & humidity of the coast, surrounded by Ceylon tea plantations.
Some lovely Colonial country house and Tea Estate hotels are up there.

Also a night at the Mount Lavinia Hotel (and take afternoon tea, known as the The Governor's High Tea) is a must do before flying home.
The Mount Lavinia Hotel is located in the coastal town of Mount Lavinia, which is just 12 kilometres south of Colombo and 54 kilometres from the Bandaranaike International Airport. The hotel is ideally situated to be easily reachable for ending your Tours, while remaining away from the congestion of the Capital. It is situated atop a rock overlooking the aquamarine waters of the Indian Ocean and with direct access to the beach.

MOUNT LAVINIA HOTEL COLOMBO

Other nice hotels in the capital are the Galle Face Hotel and Colombo's other famous old colonial pile is the Grand Oriental Hotel.

I do digress sorry, LOL, but I think Colombo is going to be the Thread's subject matter quite soon....

Edited by rog747

2 hours ago, Tifferoo said:

Hi everyone,

We are (hopefully, Red Sea situation notwithstanding!) traveling from Singapore to Dubai in March/April as part of QM2 WC. I am excited to pack so wondering what the internal temperature of the ship is likely to be? Are extra warm layers needed due to the aircon?

Thanks!

Difficult to be accurate as  ships can suffer air-con inadequacy in some areas [thinking definitely QV/QE here as I haven't been in a hot climate on QM2] if the sun is blazing in and the temps. out side very hot. The QM2 Britannia  restaurant can get hot too in certain parts and that's not even in a hot climate.

Conversely, there are areas of the ship which can seem cool so a light layer is a good idea to have with you. I take a pashmina and soon suss out where it's needed  and where it's not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, rog747 said:

Yes sometimes the interior spaces can be a tad cool - and sometimes at lectures in the Theatres.

If that is your worry then pack accordingly with some wraps and/or very light jumpers etc, although you are flying right into the heat at Singapore and then cruising the Tropics of SE Asia, so cottons, floppy hats, and light clothing is the order of the day.

You can adjust your Cabin temperature. 

If the Dubai call is altered, then it's quite possible your cruise may end in Colombo (which is very busy, hot and humid (and in early April it can see heavy rain showers from the start of the Monsoon).

If you would wish to extend your time in Sri Lanka then a short stay and a Tour up to Kandy and the Hill/Tea Country is blissful.
You can take the train to Kandy and on to the Tea Hills, the train ride from Colombo Fort Station up into the tea plantations of central Sri Lanka is a highlight of any trip to Sri Lanka.  

You can travel on a classic train with a first class observation car attached to the rear.  

This gives a wonderful rearward view along the tracks, you can see how this wonderful railway was constructed, hugging the hillside under overhanging rocks.  

Nanuoya is the railhead for Nuwara Eliya, a Colonial-era hill station where the British would spend time away from the heat & humidity of the coast, surrounded by Ceylon tea plantations.
Some lovely Colonial country house and Tea Estate hotels are up there.

Also a night at the Mount Lavinia Hotel (and take afternoon tea, known as the The Governor's High Tea) is a must do before flying home.
The Mount Lavinia Hotel is located in the coastal town of Mount Lavinia, which is just 12 kilometres south of Colombo and 54 kilometres from the Bandaranaike International Airport. The hotel is ideally situated to be easily reachable for ending your Tours, while remaining away from the congestion of the Capital. It is situated atop a rock overlooking the aquamarine waters of the Indian Ocean and with direct access to the beach.

MOUNT LAVINIA HOTEL COLOMBO

Other nice hotels in the capital are the Galle Face Hotel and Colombo's other famous old colonial pile is the Grand Oriental Hotel.

I do digress sorry, LOL, but I think Colombo is going to be the Thread's subject matter quite soon....

You think Colombo!? I was hoping for Cape Town if/when there is an itinerary change, given Colombo would be half the duration of what’s expected! That said, from your description above maybe a week in Sri Lanka wouldn’t be too bad!! Thank you!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Difficult to be accurate as  ships can suffer air-con inadequacy in some areas [thinking definitely QV/QE here as I haven't been in a hot climate on QM2] if the sun is blazing in and the temps. out side very hot. The QM2 Britannia  restaurant can get hot too in certain parts and that's not even in a hot climate.

Conversely, there are areas of the ship which can seem cool so a light layer is a good idea to have with you. I take a pashmina and soon suss out where it's needed  and where it's not.

Thank you. Sounds like I should pop in a few pashminas to give me some options!

47 minutes ago, Tifferoo said:

You think Colombo!? I was hoping for Cape Town if/when there is an itinerary change, given Colombo would be half the duration of what’s expected! That said, from your description above maybe a week in Sri Lanka wouldn’t be too bad!! Thank you!

My tuppence is that the ship will sail the WC segment from Singapore as normal to Colombo, but from there yes, go on to Cape Town (maybe via a couple of port calls) and that of course leaves out the Dubai call.
However, Dubai is a big getting on port for the next lot of WC segment passengers for SOU or NYC, or are getting off there like yourself has booked.

So yes Cunard may give you the option of staying on to Cape Town CPT, or that your cruise segment ends in Colombo CMB, but there are alot of folk due to get off and on at Dubai;

so Cunard has to decide where to 'break' the next WC segment - be it either at CMB or CPT.

I dunno - have to wait and see, but IMHO I think it maybe CMB because the QV is docked there the day before QM2 arrives, and QV is routing back to SOU via the Cape.

Edited by rog747

Spent many weeks in the tropics on the QE in 22 - through both canals. The air con struggled - the worst was the garden lounge - they had to move the 7pm trivia because it was unbearably hot - felt really sorry for the staff.  We also had issues in lower Britannia restaurant not as bad -  fine for ladies - but men were all taking their jackets off and many had short-sleeved shirts (shock horror). Some in balconies on the wrong side (POSH port out starboard home) found it really hot - but we had an inside on deck 1 and never had to adjust the a/c 

• Like 1