Thinking of renting a car for port day with family ideas wanted!

mand75

Hi! I have a tentative rental request with Jay's rentals on the go. Family of 5 with 16, 14 and 13 year old. Interested in a variety of activities and some beach time. Our second time in Aruba, but would be the first with a rental car.

In Port from 8am to 5pm.

Thanks!

Hi!  We went in May and rented with Jay's and had a fabulous day.  It was myself, my husband, our 14 year old and 11 year old.  We went to the donkey sanctuary, the ostrich farm and then spent the afternoon at Baby Beach.  If you have any questions feel free to ask.

• Like 1

Hi! Thank you for the reply! I am very interested in Baby Beach, fid you like it? Did you snorkel there too? I was thinking about the butterfly sanctuary, but it is heading the opposite way. Then wondering if we should head to Arashi or Boca Catalina instead. Did you stop anywhere for food/shopping?

When do you go? I have a rental at the end of March and can check back in after that. We are using Top Drive (a 6 or 7 person automatic SUV) and they had an add on package for $20 that includes 2 chairs, 2 sets of snorkel equipment and a cooler - but I'll have to take the bus down to their meeting point. 

I'll have my 14 and 17 year olds, as well as my parents. The four of us will scuba dive in the morning while my parents just spend time at one of the beaches north of the port (Eagle/Arashi/Palm). Then we'll take the rental car for lunch and sightseeing, so a little opposite from your plan. We want to be back on the ship for an early dinner, then we'll walk around town for a little more sightseeing after dinner because we depart at 10pm. We have the following potential stopping points but haven't narrowed them down yet: 

Butterfly Farm

Donkey Sanctuary

Philip’s Animal Park

Ostrich farm

Natural bridge (the one that didn't collapse)

Alto Vista

California Lighthouse

Aloe factory

@kings2001 Can you remember how much the admission fees were for your trip? That may play a factor in which items we try to squeeze in. 

@mand75 Would you be willing to report back after you go and tell us how it went?

11 minutes ago, mand75 said:

Hi! I am going Dec 2024, so I will await your report from March! That's awesome  that they include the snorkel and beach gear!

Yes, I thought $20 was very reasonable for that. My parents won't have to worry at all about finding chairs at the beach (although they won't have an umbrella... but maybe they can find a tree). 

@mand75 Baby Beach was gorgeous.  My son liked that there were no waves and the water was very calm.  My daughter and husband snorkeled there and saw some fish but said the snorkeling wasn't great.  We didn't stop anywhere on the island to eat but did some shopping near the port. 

@jbrinkm There was no fee for the donkey sanctuary, the ostrich farm was $15 for adults and $8 dollars for kids and included a tour and feeding the ostriches, at Baby Beach we rented 2 chairs and a clamshell for around $80.

• Thanks 1

I have rented cars in Aruba every time we go.  You have to narrow down what exactly you want to do if you want to snorkel and explore.  My personal favorites are Philips, the natural bridge and ostrich farm is in that area.  We use a portable cooler and our 3 lb tent.  We have snorkeled everywhere but baby beach (saving that for next April).  We stock up snacks and drinks at a convenience store.  Donkey sanctuary is good although not as good as Bonaires.  

We usually pick 2 landmarks and a snorkeling stop.  This way you don't feel rushed.