Cell phone usage

tgodiver

I was using ships wifi and once in the dining room I heard my phone ringing ( a certain ringtone I wasn't used to hearing) and it was my daughter calling me through Facebook. Of course  I thought it was an emergency because she never calls me, but it wasn't. I was surprised that I had that good of reception in the MDR. 😄

5 minutes ago, Travlin grrl said:

I was using ships wifi and once in the dining room I heard my phone ringing ( a certain ringtone I wasn't used to hearing) and it was my daughter calling me through Facebook. Of course  I thought it was an emergency because she never calls me, but it wasn't. I was surprised that I had that good of reception in the MDR. 😄

With the advent of Medallion Net, you get fairly consistent coverage all through the ship.

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm sure you have probably considered this...but is there nobody that could serve as a "middleman" during your trip so that this person could then use WhatsApp?

Yeah, my kids are in the loop in case of an emergency, and hopefully can handle it, unless that emergency is with them. There's still the possibility that I need to be in the conversation too regarding the house or a dog emergency.

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

But, please be aware that cellular data used on the ship or in certain ports of call will result in charges from your cell phone provider.

I've seen the stories about the cellular data racking up costs, but if I understand it correctly, if I turn the data portion off (so apps don't update that way), I'll only be charged by the minute for calls. If that's the way it works, I'm fine with that.

Edited by RocknRoll22